Remap vs Chip

turboboy

Limp Mode Squad ™
Dec 9, 2003
hants
Mate you are absolutly clueless and not really worth listening to or talking to. Your trolling because you have a new car.

Join the st forum and talk crap to them.

All the best

shhhhh

Mate you are absolutly clueless and not really worth listening to or talking to. Your trolling because you have a new car.

Join the st forum and talk crap to them.

All the best

Hahahahaha! Totally agree with this ;)

blairy

Oct 17, 2013
Darlington
I'm thinking about buying one of these boxes for my Ibiza CR FR 2.0 but its pretty difficult to find anyone reviewing the for that car. Just like the idea of being able to plug and play especially since I've got over a year left on my warranty

ckyliu

Jan 17, 2014
Derbyshire
I'm thinking about buying one of these boxes for my Ibiza CR FR 2.0 but its pretty difficult to find anyone reviewing the for that car. Just like the idea of being able to plug and play especially since I've got over a year left on my warranty
Same here, my biggest concern being that remaps tend to be a bit smokier than standard mapping, which may upset the DPF. As suggested, just look at reviews on other cars which have CR140s.

Beazy

Sep 21, 2011
I personally would probably never run a tuning box, I weighed up the risks and decided a remap was the best way forward. I would rather the ECU was in complete control and knowing that I have an established name/brand behind the software. I don't feel easy plugging a box which is essentially hijacking signals.

Just because you're remapped doesn't necessarily mean your warranty is voided, the onus is on the dealership/mechanic to prove that the failure is attributed to the remap/performance increase. There's enough to known issues/failures on these engines to show they fail in standard form.

jsmrtn

I personally would probably never run a tuning box, I weighed up the risks and decided a remap was the best way forward. I would rather the ECU was in complete control and knowing that I have an established name/brand behind the software. I don't feel easy plugging a box which is essentially hijacking signals.

Just because you're remapped doesn't necessarily mean your warranty is voided, the onus is on the dealership/mechanic to prove that the failure is attributed to the remap/performance increase. There's enough to known issues/failures on these engines to show they fail in standard form.

Yeah, I have thought this, the CAV engines are a bit **** from what I've read here, and my brother has a Fabia vRS that's had a new engine for the same issue, so wouldn't be surprised if mine did go wrong and like you say, there's reported engine issues on the FR, so could fight prettily easily that it's a mechanical fault and not due to the remap.

I have noticed mines a bit drinky on the oil, so I've topped up the other day and am running to see how far I go before it needs more oil and if it's not far, I'll try to swing a new engine before I get a remap or chip.

Beazy

Sep 21, 2011
Yeah, I have thought this, the CAV engines are a bit **** from what I've read here, and my brother has a Fabia vRS that's had a new engine for the same issue, so wouldn't be surprised if mine did go wrong and like you say, there's reported engine issues on the FR, so could fight prettily easily that it's a mechanical fault and not due to the remap.

I have noticed mines a bit drinky on the oil, so I've topped up the other day and am running to see how far I go before it needs more oil and if it's not far, I'll try to swing a new engine before I get a remap or chip.

I use a litre every 2000 miles and have been remapped for around 20k+ now on a 61 plate, if it was going to die on me it would have went a long time ago :D

jsmrtn

I use a litre every 2000 miles and have been remapped for around 20k+ now on a 61 plate, if it was going to die on me it would have went a long time ago :D

Looks like you had one of the non-issue engines then! ;) Also, did you declare your remap on your insurance for the car (and if so, did it affect it much?)

Last edited by a moderator:

Beazy

Sep 21, 2011
Looks like you had one of the non-issue engines then! ;) Also, did you declare your remap on your insurance for the car (and if so, did it affect it much?)

Nah, I'm on my second set of coilpacks and go through plugs every 5-6k. It gets looked after reasonable well.

Remap is declared, I think it bumped it up £40 but obviously you're a different age/postcode/ncb etc etc. To put it into perspective with 0 mods I'm sub £350 fully comp...

Crafoo

Crazy Fool!
Apr 30, 2005
At home
The point I was making was what do you do when you've bought the most powerful car that brand has to offer? (Ignoring the new Mk3 Leon Cupra as I'm not a fan of it's looks in current guise) I like the car and don't wish to switch to another brand so if I long for more power (which let's be honest who doesn't :p) then the natural next step is a remap/tuning box.

Personal preference means I would go with a remap although the argument that you will notice no difference on either is nonsensical, it's been proven time and again to not only offer better performance but in a lot of cases better economy when driven in such a way (N/A cars being an exception).

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise