DSG gear change delay

mark88

Feb 22, 2014
Hi, I've got an ibiza cupra with the DSG gearbox and I just want to double check if other peoples cars are the same. When in manual mode, when changing gear, it takes longer to change, compared to when the car is in full auto. (I'm sure this is normal as when in full auto, the software knows when to change gear). The only thing that bugs me is that it feels like a longer time until it decides to change. Say when I'm accelerating gently, I'll engage the paddle at say 3000rpm and it won't actually change gear until 3500rpm. Just feels like I have to flick the paddle earlier in the rev range to change when I actually want.

mark88

Feb 22, 2014
Thanks! Hmm, I'll have a good run out in it again and if it's not changing quickly, I'll get it booked in as the car is under warranty. It seems to change quickly when accelerating hard, just not when I'm taking it easy

Beazy

Sep 21, 2011
I've found that the car only does its fastest shifts at full throttle and above say 4krpm, I wouldn't say it's sluggish or has a massive delay. It's just not as quick as full throttle high rpm changes which is to be expected.

matthab

Jun 16, 2010
West Midlands
Mine is slow only if I catch it out. So the DSG is not a true manual as you probably know. It preselects a gear guessing what your going to do next.

For example I was behind a car, changed to 4th ready to overtake it. When the situation arose I selected 3rd, this wasnt very quick as it assumed i was going to want 5th ( i sat in 4th waiting for a moment). After that it made everychange quick bang on right up to 7th.

mark88

Feb 22, 2014
I thought it might be just that I'm catching it out. It's really smooth and quick at changing gear when ya pottering along in full auto. Just maybe expecting it to be the same when I want to control the gears myself when pottering about, I know it tries to predict what gear you will want next so it has it ready. it just might think if I'm driving smooth that I might want 2nd instead of 4th so it throws it off course, so hence the slight delay in the gear change. Thanks for all the quick responses! Absolutely love the car, just obviously need to get used to the DSG haha. I seem to drive it a hell of a lot more slowly accelerating than my previous car (Cooper S) just love how smooth it is, in comparison.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise