Engine swap 1.4 MPI IBIZA

Nasher

Feb 8, 2014
We’ve finally given up trying to get the engine in our 1.4 IBIZA S running sweetly.
The rest of the car is now ready for an MOT, and I was hoping that after it had been stood so long the engine just needed the rings to loosen up out of their lands in the pistons.
But alas no, in fact the compression figures have got worse if anything, and a small amount of oil down the plug holes restoring compression proves the engine is just plain worn out at 108K miles.
Current compression figures are 150, 60, 60, 45. So completely Bu99ered really.

All the money we’ve spent on the engine can be moved over to a replacement block, - plugs, leads, coil pack etc, so we’ve not really lost much except the £20 I paid to have the throttle body aligned, and there is a chance of course it will keep it’s alignment if I put it on the replacement block.

I’ve done several engine swaps in the past, but only rear wheel drive cars, so I have a couple of questions for those that have swapped IBIZA, POLO etc engines over.

I’m assuming it’s best to pull the engine and box out together?

Can the engine/box be manoeuvred about enough to get the drive shafts out without going to the bother of removing the wheels, hubs, driveshafts etc?
I’d really like to keep the car on it’s wheels and rolling between taking the engine out and putting the replacement back in.

The aircon in the car works a treat, so I’m looking at taking the alternator off first so I can get to the aircon pump, then removing the aircon pump and leaving it connected to the system whilst I swap the engine. Is this achievable?

Thanks for all your help.

Nasher.

Nasher

Feb 8, 2014
Would love to, but as it's my 17yr old sons car the insurance is high enough as it is.

Nasher.

Tucker157

Nov 20, 2010
Falkirk/Central Scotland
Yes to your aircon question, just unbolt it, and hang in out the way,

assuming you have the means of an engine lift etc... Then yes.

Disconnect all pipes and wiring between engine and body. Remove both front wheels and both shafts. ( it is unfortunately the easiest way, there's not much to play with or space to work if swinging the engine about to disconnect the shafts) then simply hoist it out! Swap over all ancillaries and clutch, gearbox etc... Anything else you like too! Drop it in, wire it up, pipe it up and spin her over till she catches!

If you want to keep it mobile when the engine is out when removing the engine. split the bottom ball joint out and remove the shafts, when the engine is out, pop the shafts back in the hubs, support the other ends, and put the ball joint back and the wheels on, then voila it's mobile again!

Like a rwd only more space to work and I reckon the only hassle should be the exhaust splitting off, however you can but try!

Sent from my iPad Mini using Tapatalk HD

Last edited:

Nasher

Feb 8, 2014
Thanks Tucker157.

I have a decent Engine hoist, so will treat it the same way I've always done rear wheel drive jobs, bonnet off and lift it out.

The Exhaust is a bit of a worry, might have to end up cutting it.

We're obviously going to change the cambelt on the block we buy whilst it's easy to get to, just need to find one at a good price.

Nasher

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.