Unable to handbrake turn

Oct 15, 2013
Midhurst, West Sussex
Please explain this one to me ?

What does FWD or RWD have to do with a handbrake turn ? ( unless of course you have one of those stupid citroens with a front wheel handbrake )

I used to have a Citroen but even then I never tried to handbrake turn it

I've found that in a RWD car when you pull the handbrake the power / weight shifts then when you get back on the power the engine being at the front and power going through the rear wheels the engine acts as a pivot point which will then enable you to begin a drift if you so desire to do so which is IMO the only reason why you'd need to pull the handbrake apart from if you're parking anyways

If you do the same in a FWD car I find that it enhances understeer due to all weight being at the front so the car isn't as willing to turn around on itself

I maybe completely wrong but that's what I've always been led to believe,

Although I'm struggling to understand why you'd need to pull the handbrake up to see what it does on a near enough new car anyway :confused:

Edit I just googled it and apparently the handbrake turn is more suited to a FWD car than the RWD car so that's my mistake

Apologies :)

Last edited:

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
I used to have a Citroen but even then I never tried to handbrake turn it

I've found that in a RWD car when you pull the handbrake the power / weight shifts then when you get back on the power the engine being at the front and power going through the rear wheels the engine acts as a pivot point which will then enable you to begin a drift if you so desire to do so which is IMO the only reason why you'd need to pull the handbrake apart from if you're parking anyways

If you do the same in a FWD car I find that it enhances understeer due to all weight being at the front so the car isn't as willing to turn around on itself

I maybe completely wrong but that's what I've always been led to believe,

Although I'm struggling to understand why you'd need to pull the handbrake up to see what it does on a near enough new car anyway :confused:

Edit I just googled it and apparently the handbrake turn is more suited to a FWD car than the RWD car so that's my mistake

Apologies :)

So your talking about drifting - not handbrake turns.
Yes I agree - a FWD is pretty useless for drifting.

Not all citroens have a front handbrake - just some of the older models.

Handbrake turns are all about flicking the rear of the car around - and the major mistake most people make is to snatch the handbrake whilst still on the foot brake.
The front wheels need to be free to rotate in opposite directions for the handbrake turn to work - foot on the brakes prevents this.

andycupra

status subject to change
ryan your wrong.
A FWD car can handbrake turn easily enough. drum brakes tend to do a better job of it but are grabby.

I think you are talking about power oversteer / drifting.

For a handbrake turn, if you really want to do this, (be safe and legal) then you need to lift off, apply aggressive turn and then handbrake.

however for a first post, im sure this is spam.

Last edited:

Big Col

Nov 5, 2013
North Ayrshire
I'm guessing if you actually do achieve a proper handbrake turn the ESP has a fit trying to stop it?

I've been waiting for some snow to try it out.

Beazy

Sep 21, 2011
I'm guessing if you actually do achieve a proper handbrake turn the ESP has a fit trying to stop it?

I've been waiting for some snow to try it out.

In order to do a proper handbrake turn you need to turn ESP off so no ABS. ESP will allow you to have a little bit of tail action but the second you try and be silly it has a fit and straightens the car up.

Suppose not being able to do a handbrake turn must make him unpopular at the local mcdonalds car park.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members