My LCR Since '05 with Static+ Front Air Lift - Project Gone to a New Home.

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
What master cylinder are you going to use? I thought about putting 4 pots on the rear with a seperate parking caliper but I don't think the standard master cylinder will cope.
I just dont think its worth it. Your better off just getting bigger disc on the there for more leverage. You got to be careful upsetting balance of the car when braking especially when increasing pots at the rear and thus braking force. I would put money to some trick suspension :)

Last edited:

adam cupra 20vt

Built Not Bought.
Mar 31, 2005
Mud Hut
I just dont think its worth it. Your better off just getting bigger disc on the their for more leverage. You got to be careful upsetting balance of the car when braking especially when increasing pots at the rear and thus braking force. I would put money to some trick suspension :)

I think your right mate. I already have 306mm rears I just wanted them to compliment the big fronts I'm using.

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
I think your right mate. I already have 306mm rears I just wanted them to compliment the big fronts I'm using.
I spent a lot of time on the handling of my old mk1 and making sure it was right. Well setup suspension will help braking massively with the transition from accelerating to decelerating. :)

Thats why I loved the kw v3s cause of customisation. Granted I had help from Shaun@AMD + employees with setup but he told me same story when talking about brakes.

Oct 21, 2006
Norfolk
I agree. That said, there's a few Mk4 Golfs running 6/4 so it can't be that bad I guess? However, it's all about the pedal feel for me and I think with 4 pots on the rear, you run the risk of it being far too progressive (long pedal and without any bite). I know Derek has recently fitted his 6-pots so I'd be interested to hear what other's experiences of pedal feel is like?

Thanks for all the feedback and advice. It's been very very helpful :) It's definitely been a learning curve for me once again, but that's all part of the fun for me - doing it all myself.

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2006
Norfolk
In addition, what I will say is that it's great that people are pushing the boundaries with the LCRs, along with other Seats; an underrated brand that doesn't get much coverage IMO.

Sunilbass, I know that you update your Facebook with your mods, but it'd be great to see your progress! Im especially keen to see your brake upgrades along with those lovely alloys [B)] My Facebook account is ( should you want to add me):

https://www.facebook.com/james.parkin.1004?ref=ts&fref=ts

I don't use Facebook all that much, but I can see its the way forward in some respects...

After a couple of days off the car, I'm now chomping at the bit to do the rear project on the car! To my wife's delight of course.

On another note, is it really a troublesome job to replace and fit a TB exhaust yourself? I can imagine that the tricky bit is at the manifold? Any experiences/guidance would be greatly appreciated :)

Last edited:

adam cupra 20vt

Built Not Bought.
Mar 31, 2005
Mud Hut
My downpipe was a right pain in the arse, we ended up doing 2 bolts from underneath and 1 from the top I think. The rest of the system was pretty straight forward.

If you still have the original exhaust you will need to cut the rear section to get it out, unless you remove it when you take your rear axel out to refurb it.

sunilbass

Jan 12, 2007
lesta
What master cylinder are you going to use? I thought about putting 4 pots on the rear with a seperate parking caliper but I don't think the standard master cylinder will cope.

the overall surface area of the rear 4 pots are only slightly bigger than the standard and the parking ones are cable so the pedel travel will be slightly longer. it has been done before which i have seen done on the platform but allot of people have said it needs a bigger mc but on the otherhand these people haven't tried it themselves... so for a more allround balanced brakes with slightly more pedal travel.. I can live with that lol

sunilbass

Jan 12, 2007
lesta
In addition, what I will say is that it's great that people are pushing the boundaries with the LCRs, along with other Seats; an underrated brand that doesn't get much coverage IMO.

Sunilbass, I know that you update your Facebook with your mods, but it'd be great to see your progress! Im especially keen to see your brake upgrades along with those lovely alloys [B)] My Facebook account is ( should you want to add me):

https://www.facebook.com/james.parkin.1004?ref=ts&fref=ts

I don't use Facebook all that much, but I can see its the way forward in some respects...

After a couple of days off the car, I'm now chomping at the bit to do the rear project on the car! To my wife's delight of course.

On another note, is it really a troublesome job to replace and fit a TB exhaust yourself? I can imagine that the tricky bit is at the manifold? Any experiences/guidance would be greatly appreciated :)

just seen this lol being in Australia atm.. yea I dont come on here too much.. they other way round. . ill add you mate

Oct 21, 2006
Norfolk
Hi All,

Over the last year or so, owning my car has been a bit of love hate. Love the standard of mechanical spec that I've achieved, but the paintwork has bothered me - Ovni fade setting in and a common LCR lacquer peel in the odd spot. So much so I've just hidden it away until I can have it resprayed, which is my plan eventually once funds permit. However I want to do the rear axle and brake upgrade and some slight engine tuning before it goes off to the shop.

Speaking to a mate the other day convinced me to give the bodywork a bit of elbow grease. So yesterday I snow foamed and washed the car, followed by Tardising all the black rubber seals and then claying it. I've recently bought a rotary car polisher. I've used a DA for three or so years so I felt experienced enough with my technique and trust in products to make the step. So, I've cut the front of the car so far. I was hoping to carry on this afternoon after work but the weather is pants.

2CBEF7B5-7A89-4134-83B7-3400C16BBEB8_zpsbiupb2ki.jpg

A5442685-8694-4E77-99BF-0B84B5B8AC4B_zps6qim9zl5.jpg

The car is tucked away under its cover until I can carry on cutting, polishing and waxing it up to my usual standard. Overall, it's coming up really well and reminded me of the decent standard it was already at. Hopefully it'll push me to get a few more summer miles out of it before going to the body shop :)

On a side note, I refurbed my old LCR Brembos last week. Hopefully they'll sell via SCN Ads or eBay so that I can buy the bits for the rear project...

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
Hi All,

Over the last year or so, owning my car has been a bit of love hate. Love the standard of mechanical spec that I've achieved, but the paintwork has bothered me - Ovni fade setting in and a common LCR lacquer peel in the odd spot. So much so I've just hidden it away until I can have it resprayed, which is my plan eventually once funds permit. However I want to do the rear axle and brake upgrade and some slight engine tuning before it goes off to the shop.

Speaking to a mate the other day convinced me to give the bodywork a bit of elbow grease. So yesterday I snow foamed and washed the car, followed by Tardising all the black rubber seals and then claying it. I've recently bought a rotary car polisher. I've used a DA for three or so years so I felt experienced enough with my technique and trust in products to make the step. So, I've cut the front of the car so far. I was hoping to carry on this afternoon after work but the weather is pants.

2CBEF7B5-7A89-4134-83B7-3400C16BBEB8_zpsbiupb2ki.jpg

A5442685-8694-4E77-99BF-0B84B5B8AC4B_zps6qim9zl5.jpg

The car is tucked away under its cover until I can carry on cutting, polishing and waxing it up to my usual standard. Overall, it's coming up really well and reminded me of the decent standard it was already at. Hopefully it'll push me to get a few more summer miles out of it before going to the body shop :)

On a side note, I refurbed my old LCR Brembos last week. Hopefully they'll sell via SCN Ads or eBay so that I can buy the bits for the rear project...

If you need any advise with rotary or anything just ask mate.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Oct 21, 2006
Norfolk
If you need any advise with rotary or anything just ask mate.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Thanks Maz. It's certainly got more bite and I've had to adapt my holding of it to achieve even strokes. The time to achieve the results are certainly worth it. I think I'll use the DA for polishing it.

Hey mate the bonnet looks to have come up really well,if the rest of the car comes up as well it should look great !
Maybe put off that visit to the body shop ??

It needs doing regardless mate. I know where the imperfections are and it's all I can see :cry:
The average eye probably wouldn't spot them straight off but I know... Want to follow suit and attend some shows with it next year, like you have been doing.

Ready for some summer driving that's for sure :D

Oct 21, 2006
Norfolk
So, the rear project has started... And I'm knackered already...

I've recently managed to buy some one-month-old 2-piece 330mm discs for a very very cheap price - like a third of an ECS/Compbrake kit. So chuffed as I never seem to find the bargains....

0126D794-F10E-44A6-BD80-93ECE5746423_zpsr7arkjev.jpg

I know some may criticise me for using 330mm discs on the rears, saying that they're overkill, and you're probably right. However, the performance along with the 356mm setup should be immense - if balanced correctly -and they'll look sexual too. I know some have gone for the 4-pots on the rear but I've decided to stick with the single pot caliper to try and achieve the best brake pedal feel that I can. Truth is I'd love the 4-pot Porsche rears with Jag parking brake but it's a lot of work and I need to start putting some serious cash towards the respray :ban:

Is there a catch... With me... Of course there is. They're actually the Badger5 330mm brake upgrade kit which comes with the bells & rotors and the extended carrier plates which allows you to use the LCR 4-pot Brembos -I'm sure you're all aware of the kit. I also got a set of DS2500 pads thrown in too. I don't have any use for the pads or caliper extension kit, but I'm sure it'll be of use to someone wanting to upgrade with a set of R32 discs or 2-piece setup ;)

Now the catch is that they're 32mm wide. Plan A will be to machine the inner part of the caliper to accommodate the 32mm thickness. Having now removed the calipers, this will be removed from the carrier part rather than the piston section. For range of movement of the piston, there should be more than enough range from the measurements I have taken. I'm also going to remove 2mm from each of the metal faces of the pads to give me some extra play. Plan B if all doesn't go to plan, which I'm 100% confident it will, will be to use some S2 calipers.

I have today removed the calipers, carriers, rear shock absorbers and a few other things like brake lines, etc. My intention is to remove the rear beam and RARB and refurb them like I did with the front - sandblast/wire brush the rust, stonechip and paint. Basically I want to get the underneath spanking and future proof.

Adam off here has kindly sent me a sketch of his ECS carrier plates that accommodates 306mm discs (cheers mate [B)]). So, the plates will need to be 12mm wider in between the bolt pattern to accommodate 330mm discs rather 306mm. I've made a template and test fitted the caliper. All looks good but I just need to double check the offset once I have the discs back together. The Bells will be anodised once I've found someone to anodise them, as it's something I've never looked at before. My mate (CraigFRTSI off here) is a CNC guy and is kindly going to machine some brackets out of 8mm aluminium as a free favour :)

So, it's underway and I've given myself a month to get this done as I want a fresh MOT for June to do some summer driving :D

Sorry if it's a bit of a dull update... :rolleyes:

Last edited:

adam cupra 20vt

Built Not Bought.
Mar 31, 2005
Mud Hut
330mm rears! I'm not jealous at all ...... Much :cry::cartman:

They will look awesome mate! Can't wait to see them fitted.

When would you be looking to get the bells anodised? If it's very soon and there going to be black I can help you with that.

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2006
Norfolk
I'm going to try and clean them first just to see if they come back up, but if not they'll probably be free to be sent from Thursday onwards. If that suits your timeframe I'd be able to ship them to you and Paypal the cost of anodising and returning post?

Last edited:

adam cupra 20vt

Built Not Bought.
Mar 31, 2005
Mud Hut
Yep that's fine mate, anything else you want done? It would be the same price.

I'm getting the 4 centre lock nuts for my wheels done, first quote was £400! :blink:

I've had another quote of £50 (I think that's plus VAT) the place said they can do other bits at the same time for the same price as the money is for setting the tank up. I wasn't going to bother as it's a lot of money for 4 nuts but if you want some bits done we'll just half it?

They basically said they can do most things alloy that would fit in the tank apart from wheels so brackets, bells etc

If you want a really nice finish the alloy needs to be pretty damage/scratch free as the bloke said the process eats in to the alloy so what we give him comes back exactly the same but black unlike powder coating that puts a thicker layer of material on that hides imperfections ... It's obviously a lot harder and robust then powder coat tho.

If that sounds ok let me know. I may be able to get another mate to get something done to make it even cheaper.