gritty/sticky feeling in clutch, 20vt

stevoibizacupra

Mar 22, 2007
Bath
Hi guys,
I've been meaning to post about this for a while but keep forgetting to get around to it.
I've had a scour of the forum and other places and can't find anything similar mentioned.

Got a strange feeling in the pedal movement but it only happens every so often.
It doesn't happen when cold or just on a short trip to the shops say, seems to start happening on longer journeys in traffic requiring lots of gear changes and moving away from a stand still a lot.

I can only describe it like this..
Maybe about half way down the pedal movement to the bottom it feels somewhat 'gratey' and rough. It almost feels a bit sticky.
It still goes into gear fine and isn't a huge issue but I'd like to try and find out what it is.

Car is a 56 plate 20vt cupra on about 76k, I don't think or has had a new clutch in its lifetime and the engine is not remapped.

Cheers, Steve

Chino_UK

Team Creatine
Jul 19, 2009
Cheadle, Cheshire
My first thought were that it's maybe the clutch starting to show signs of wear, maybe friction material breaking down? I'm on a 20VT on 70k on a 2005, mine hasn't displayed any signs yet and it's been on stage 2 power for last 3 years, I aim to replace clutch and flywheel within the next 3 months.

stevoibizacupra

Mar 22, 2007
Bath
thanks chino, will do some more reading too.
Out of interest what do you think Clutch and flywheel should cost roughly for a replacement? Though hoping it is not that bad..!

S7UYJ

Sep 7, 2010
Manchester
Personally I'd be more led to clutch master cylinder or slave cylinder. I don't think you would feel clutch degradation through the pedal as there is so much pressure between your foot and the clutch disc.
If the master cylinder is faulty then that could cause a rough feel sometimes, probably under a lot of use. Issue is that as it's fairly isolated, you'll probably have to replace stuff to eliminate.
My advice

Start with a simple fluid change and bleed, costs only a few quid.

If it does it again, look at changing the master cylinder, again not expensive and fairly easy

If it's still there then move onto slave cylinder, bit more work as I believe it loves in the bell housing, although I'm an ibiza guy so worth checking!

If this still fails then look at a new clutch and pressure plate.

It might all cost more in the end, but you could have a winner and fix it cheap! Also they are all components that will fail at some point anyway!

This is how we fault find on helicopters and tends to be the least painful way!

stevoibizacupra

Mar 22, 2007
Bath
Good advice, cheers!
I am looking at getting the fluid change at the weekend so I'll see how that goes first.

Reading another thread on changing the master cylinder it sounded just the same a my problem.
Its only noticable after a lot of town, gear change intensive driving and not so much on long motorway stints so this is all starting to add up now.

Will let you know how I get on.

Cheers,
Steve

S7UYJ

Sep 7, 2010
Manchester
As a side note, if it does end up being either the master or slave cylinder, do a fluid change as soon as you fit the new one as if seals have broken down or something you may damage the new one with contaminated fluid

cra19n

C14 RGG
May 8, 2010
glasgow
Hi Steve. How did you get on with this? My clutch peddle is starting to act same way?
Have you fixed yours?

Thanks
Craig

stevoibizacupra

Mar 22, 2007
Bath
Hi Craig, afraid not, haven't had the chance to get around to it yet unfortunately, touch wood it's behaving alright at the moment and it's been on a few long runs. Will be keeping a close eye on it over the summer months though to see if there's any change.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.