Roof bar mount

wiganlad81

Mar 27, 2013
Well I've just had a ganders at a roof bars for my MTB and what not. It seems my motor is missing its roof bar mountings on the rear. Well I'm guessing it is. The front mounts exist two drilled holes with what appears to be a threaded sunk nut as such, This threaded nut is body colour and appears firmly fixed to the car by a weld I'd say. The rear has a VERY slight indentation. Could someone please confirm if possible that i'm right in thinking the roof bar mountings should be pre drilled on the rear. Surely they shouldn't require retrofitting per se?

Any help appreciated!

jamiep

If my memory serves me correct, my Mk2 Leon did not used to have holes for the rear and instead the roof bars tightened onto the car. This combined with the fact that the rear bars were connected to the front bars via the bike rack made them very secure. Put your drill away - you don't want to start making holes in your new car!

wiganlad81

Mar 27, 2013
If they fit well thats cool. I can imagine how well they would stay secure though it does seem odd. Not sure how much faith i'd put in something that itsnt fastened to the structure of the car. There is likely to be about £4k worth of MTB's strapped to this baby shortly. I shudder at the thought of the back letting go and my MTB's dangling in the wind.

I never had my dewalt out but I will expect SEAT to correct if it turns out it should have mounting points. That said I'm not overly confident in a dealer tech drilling holes in my new motor either.

Thanks for the reply

wiganlad81

Mar 27, 2013
So i've delved further and it looks like this is the SEAT standard. Suppose I'll have to have a look at a fitted set and consider whether I'm happy with roof bars or go for trailer or rear mount.

I thought VW used a front and rear spiggot mount and i'm pretty sure the Skoda Octavia I used for work had front and rear spiggots.

Just doesn't over inspire confidence really.

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
My octy has rear spiggots, Leon (mk2) has none

it'll be fine, it just helps locate it in the right place really

jamiep

I agree with m0rk. In my mk2 I never had any problems using Thule roof bars and regularly went on motorways etc. Once I went under a washing line which was attached at one end to the side of the house and forgot I had bikes on the roof and it became hooked on my saddle. It was the side of the house that came off worst so I'm confident that the bikes aren't going anywhere

Jul 17, 2004
West Lothian
So......ten months on. Has anyone else fitted roof bars yet? Especially to an SC, as I've only ever seen the brochure photos. I used to transport my MTB in the back of my MK2, but I don't want to do that with the new car, especially as the loading bay isn't as big I don't want to scuff the plastic and the bumper to pieces.

robbyd6

Apr 5, 2012
wirral, merseyside
Just my 2p but I had Thule aero roof bars that I bought second hand off eBay for my mk5 Ibiza cupra and they fitted the same a described above with the bars just clamping to the roof structure of the car for the rear bars and with two mtb's on fork mount racks they were going nowhere. When picking them up I'm sure I remember the guy telling me he had got them from the dealer but they were Thule aero bars. Whether this means that the 2 different sets of bars you are looking at are identical I'm not sure (I'm guessing you were looking for aero bars as IMHO squares look 'naff') something to check with the dealer I suppose.

Rob

mrowell

Oct 17, 2005
I got the dealer to throw in a set of roof bars when I bought my 184 5d FR. I had to pick them up a week later. Came in a Seat box but were Thule bars and yes they only have the locating pegs on the front set.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.