Front assist query

Hugo Nebula

Dec 7, 2007
Manchester
Does anyone have a Mk 3 w/ Front Assist?

I've test driven a Cupra today, and I've previously tested a Golf, and I'm not sure how this works. Is it possible to have it turned on by default, or does it only work when the cruise control is also set?

This would only be useful for me (and would be worth spending £500 on) if it came on by default (i.e., when I jump in the car of a morning without having to remember to set it), and it works when I'm coming up to lights, roundabouts, etc. (i.e., when cruise control is off).

If you suggested I ask a sales 'droid for an answer, I'd reply by asking you what colour is the sky in your world.

tony323ci

Lovin' it
May 15, 2011
Nottingham
Does anyone have a Mk 3 w/ Front Assist?

This would only be useful for me (and would be worth spending £500 on) if it came on by default (i.e., when I jump in the car of a morning without having to remember to set it), and it works when I'm coming up to lights, roundabouts, etc. (i.e., when cruise control is off).

If you need this then you shouldnt be driving a car.

Agree

kingstonian

Jan 22, 2014
Athens | Greece
There's this very strange old technique that I use, it's called being "observant" and "looking ahead".

Only people who like to tail gate would benefit from this :whistle:

Do not reject it so easily...

imagine driving through the car park at ASDA and the little brats at the back row decide to decapitate each other...as you turn your head to give them a well deserved "verbal abuse", as considered by our modern politically correct times, a happy shopper leaves his park spot...

result without F.A ...a nice bang.

Hugo Nebula

Dec 7, 2007
Manchester
Thanks to those people who contributed helpful and meaningful comments, but you have, of course, failed to observe the question I was asking. I know what the system is meant to do, but my query was asking how it operates.

I'd appreciate an answer from those with some knowledge rather than from those with over-perspiring undercarriages.

phsharpy

There are two different systems. Adaptive cruise control will manage your speed from 20 to 100 when set, but not help in stop start traffic. Front brake assist is designed only to stop you having an accident. As a result it only works if your are definitely going to hit something, at which point it stops you very suddenly, you certainly wouldn't want to ever use it if possible!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

boltonredgt

Mar 25, 2014
Bolton
personally I think if you need any kind of driver assist aid ( ACC or lane assist ) then you are not a competent driver and should not be driving a high performance car, maybe an invalid carriage or even take the train.:p

Ant

Jan 19, 2014
North Somerset
Is it possible to have it turned on by default, or does it only work when the cruise control is also set?

To answer your original question - Front Assist is always on as far as I know, hence why it reduces the insurance premiums of some cars by preventing shunts in certain conditions. It works independently from the ACC system, but both share the radar sensor in the front bumper.

Also, in response to the 'If you need this, you shouldn't be driving' comments - it is a safety feature, just like lane assist, airbags, seatbelts, ABS, etc. that are intended to prevent or at least minimise the effects of accidents. If you're all such competent drivers that you don't 'need' Front Assist, would you go and disable all of your other safety kit for everyday driving with your kids in the back? Probably not. None of these features are something that you should ever rely on, but they could each potentially save your life. It doesn't matter how good your own driving is - everyone else on the road is the problem.

brian33

Feb 3, 2014
If you're all such competent drivers that you don't 'need' Front Assist, would you go and disable all of your other safety kit for everyday driving with your kids in the back? Probably not. None of these features are something that you should ever rely on, but they could each potentially save your life. It doesn't matter how good your own driving is - everyone else on the road is the problem.

[B)]
I second everything Ant just said.

Hugo Nebula

Dec 7, 2007
Manchester
personally I think if you need any kind of driver assist aid ( ACC or lane assist ) then you are not a competent driver and should not be driving a high performance car, maybe an invalid carriage or even take the train.:p
Driver assist aids like XDS, ESP, ABS, etc. you mean? How about airbags, servo brakes, seatbelts?

The safest car is one with a 2 foot rusty spike in the middle of the steering wheel. You'd really slow down and avoid hitting anything then. However, I happen to think that safety has progressed in recent decades.

You're in Bolton, I'm in Manchester, this is the "Crash-for-cash" capital of the UK. If you can say, hand on heart, that you've never glanced up from changing channels on your radio to see the brake lights of the car in front of you a little too close, then you've obviously not been driving very long or very often, or are a liar.

Last edited:

kingstonian

Jan 22, 2014
Athens | Greece
Thanks to those people who contributed helpful and meaningful comments, but you have, of course, failed to observe the question I was asking. I know what the system is meant to do, but my query was asking how it operates.

I'd appreciate an answer from those with some knowledge rather than from those with over-perspiring undercarriages.

OK then....

at the front of car there is a RADAR, scanning the road ahead for obstacles.
If it determines that collision is emminent if no corrective moves are made it warns.
At low speeds it can brake the car on its own, but on higher it CAN NOT...
in this case it warns you with a sound..

At city driving where speeds are low by default, but driver is more likely to be distracted it can save the day...But on the highway, where visibility and car distance (and speeds) are higher the mere warning usually is enough.

look under the grille...it is the "box"...

1.jpg

Last edited:

keithjeb

Nov 1, 2013
There are two different systems. Adaptive cruise control will manage your speed from 20 to 100 when set, but not help in stop start traffic. Front brake assist is designed only to stop you having an accident. As a result it only works if your are definitely going to hit something, at which point it stops you very suddenly, you certainly wouldn't want to ever use it if possible!

That behaivour would be different to the golf I've tried it on, where it can't be set at less than 20, but is perfectly able to function in stop start traffic.

OP, as others have said, it does work without the cruise, but you won't get the more subtle slowdown you get with adaptive cruise, its essentially an emergency stop.

arturek

Apr 4, 2014
Adaptive cruise control will manage your speed from 20 to 100 when set, but not help in stop start traffic.

Are you sure ACC in SEAT does not suport Automatic stop-start? It works in VW and Skoda and all three cars share the same module. According to Skoda owner's manual it should function in the following way:

Vehicles with an automatic transmission can decelerate to a standstill and start moving again using the ACC.​

phsharpy

I'm not certain but I did take it from the seat leon manual that there is a link to on these forums. I was a bit surprised as most systems with front assist do work in stop/start as you describe.

arturek

Apr 4, 2014
The only Leon owner's manual I've found here is for MY13 and it describes only standard cruise control system (CSS), not ACC. Have you seen a newer one, for MY14 with a section about ACC/Front Assist?

Maybe sombody with a printed MY14 manual could tell wherther ACC supports Automatic stop-start?

Mk1Cortina1964

Mk1 Cortina 0-60 19.0secs
Feb 20, 2014
North Suffolk
"Aturek -

Are you sure ACC in SEAT does not suport Automatic stop-start? It works in VW and Skoda and all three cars share the same module. According to Skoda owner's manual it should function in the following way:

Vehicles with an automatic transmission can decelerate to a standstill and start moving again using the ACC.
The only Leon owner's manual I've found here is for MY13 and it describes only standard cruise control system (CSS), not ACC. Have you seen a newer one, for MY14 with a section about ACC/Front Assist?

Maybe sombody with a printed MY14 manual could tell wherther ACC supports Automatic stop-start?"

Pages 189 - 207 of my Owners Manual (15.10.2013) are about the ACC and Front Assist systems, and on page 195 states:
Vehicles with an automatic gearbox: The Stop-Start system acts as usual when driving with adaptive cruise control.
Also: With an automatic gearbox the ACC may brake it until it stops completely if the vehicle ahead stops.

Hope this helps.

Bernard.:)

Last edited:

arturek

Apr 4, 2014
Thanks Bernard. I noticed an ability to stop completely is also mentioned in a brochure so at least ACC+DSG can slow down a car to a standstill (and maybe also resume driving).

BTW using similar names (start-stop and stop-start) for different systems does not seem to be the best idea.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise