W66RRY - Mk1 Leon Cupra R

vroomtshh

Sep 11, 2005
Dreghorn, Scotland
Just brilliant :thumbup: Something I definitely want to aspire to with my engine rebuild in the future. Enjoy the miles [B)]

Having seen your attention to detail on your build thread, you'd manage it easily.

But I'd suggest you buy a spare engine and give yourself a year. This has taken 6 months and really wants more time spent on it. I'd also do a lot of things differently now that I've done them once :lol:

vroomtshh

Sep 11, 2005
Dreghorn, Scotland
New map pipe with WMI nozzle

And then the pictures stopped for some reason, but I can confirm that the car is now running. Running in oil, gearbox oil and coolant are all in. Will get 50 miles or so on it and drain them all and refill.

Got a smoke test and aircon recharge on friday, and then we're good to get mapping :D

vroomtshh

Sep 11, 2005
Dreghorn, Scotland
So its running now, and I've dealt with the first few problems
The oil cooler was knackered, so oil and coolant were mixing. Replaced that, drained all the sludgey mess out of the coolant system, and a quick oil change, and all seems good.

Went for air con recharge, and they reckon I have a leak, but can't tell me where :rolleyes:
And my fans aren't working on low speed (which i'm told may be related to the aircon) but all in all, really minor issues.

Smoke test and wheel alignment are now arranged for wednesday, then aircon diagnosis on thursday (unless anyone can point me in the direction of an AC expert before then)

So yesterday I got on with cleaning it

Worst clay I've ever seen ( I guess thats the downside of grinding and painting in the garage next to the car)

And finished with a coat of Dodo Juice Supernatural Hybrid (awesome on silver cars)

vroomtshh

Sep 11, 2005
Dreghorn, Scotland
So I made the trip down to Badger 5 (which was uneventful apart from heading 40 miles along the M6 when I should have been on the M5 :lol:) and after a days fiddling, seen the following figures

Safe to say, the relentless was holding me back

So I came back from Bills with a couple of issues to fix (namely getting temperatures down)
So next day (sleep can come when I'm old :lol:) I got cracked on with trying to bring the cylinder temps down. New cooler running thermostat (from a reliant robin of all things), fresh 50/50 coolant mix, along with some added 'water wetter', fixed a problem with a knock sensor (the bolt had come out :confused:), and fixed a couple of air leaks

And headed along to a local ish rolling road day

Before anyone starts, I'm not here to argue the figures from either of the rollers. I can confirm that the car drives well, and is ridiculously fast, far too fast for a damp road anyway.

Last edited:

vroomtshh

Sep 11, 2005
Dreghorn, Scotland
So, quick finish at the rolling road day, and head over to Crail for a try on the 1/4 mile, see how my times compare to last year, and to the new power

Cracking photo of my one run :lol:
I'm not sure why, but we outlaunched that Octavia, beat it by 2 full seconds, yet its in front of me in the picture :shrug:
The bad news is, that was my one and only (very slow) run. 14.8 @ 110 with an embarrasing 60ft time of 2.8 :lol:

The end of the run seen me here

I'd actually made it 50 miles or so down the road with no clutch before traffic brought that to a halt :cry:

Sorry for the terrible pictures, but heres what's left of the brand new clutch

Now wether it was too much power, the fact that it turned out to be a fake item from Techniclutch (be warned) or a combination of both, it left me pretty gutted.

So a quick turnaround - New flywheel, cover and slave cylinder, plus a sachs SRE paddle plate, and away we go again :D

So now, its on with driving it for a while, see what niggles I come across, and see whats changing next (KW v2s, top mounts, 2 piece disks :lol:)

Oct 21, 2006
Norfolk
Some trials and tribulations but you must be pleased with how it's turning out. Irrespective of the numbers, the curves look good and I'm sure it drives really well?

What are your thoughts about the relentless manifold? Would you change it or considering how it drives, will you remain with it? Also, are you pleased with the performance of the Inlet Manifold, or is it difficult to gauge?

Excellent work. Good luck with bedding the car in a bit more :)

adam cupra 20vt

Built Not Bought.
Mar 31, 2005
Mud Hut
Very impressive! Hope everything goes well now you have the clutch sorted.

I love those wheels to it's what I originally wanted on mine :)

vroomtshh

Sep 11, 2005
Dreghorn, Scotland
Some trials and tribulations but you must be pleased with how it's turning out. Irrespective of the numbers, the curves look good and I'm sure it drives really well?

What are your thoughts about the relentless manifold? Would you change it or considering how it drives, will you remain with it? Also, are you pleased with the performance of the Inlet Manifold, or is it difficult to gauge?

Excellent work. Good luck with bedding the car in a bit more :)

I considered changing the relentless almost the instant it was mapped. But until I'm 100% sure there's a reliable option that will definitely release more power, I'm not so sure.

Current plan is to run through the summer and see what issues I have.

The inlet is working perfectly. No real lag to speak of and the exhaust side is causing all the restriction so the inlet is clearly capable of more. I do have a wee tweak of the inlet manic to come, just to make the pipework neater

vroomtshh

Sep 11, 2005
Dreghorn, Scotland
Really bad news with the clutch buddy. New item looks meaty tho.

Thinkin on taking a trip to crail this Sunday weather permitting.

New one is spot on. Think I'm heading back up mid may now

Very impressive! Hope everything goes well now you have the clutch sorted.

I love those wheels to it's what I originally wanted on mine :)

Still seems to be a couple of wee niggles to sort out, but nothing serious now. Just changing a few bits and constantly double checking everything :lol:

Apr 13, 2011
hull
Well your leon looks like its getting on its way to be on par with it. I have tl say the Leon is looking really nice and progress is coming along very well.

May I ask what was the best 1/4 mile time you achived in the ibiza

vroomtshh

Sep 11, 2005
Dreghorn, Scotland
Well your leon looks like its getting on its way to be on par with it. I have tl say the Leon is looking really nice and progress is coming along very well.

May I ask what was the best 1/4 mile time you achived in the ibiza

13.7@101 in 2005/6 when it was on a hybrid. Never ran it when it had the big turbo and was stripped out

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members