Audi S3 GT3582R stroker Build (previously GT3071r)

tufftybloke

Badger 5 Edition
Feb 28, 2009
Gloucestershire, UK
Last couple of little jobs done to get her ready for running in properly..

Source of the coolant leak... CTS seal was perished... was actually crunchy when I squeezed it lol...
20140322_164005.jpg

Bill kindly welded the PCV pipework and catch can mods I had fabricated...
20140322_175907.jpg

...and of course I painted them :)
20140322_192150.jpg

The pipework now in place...
20140322_193835.jpg

...and of course all back together... just need to make a bracket...
20140322_194058.jpg

I have used a filter on the catch can for now... pretty sure it will end up smelling a bit so I do have some hose to run from it and under the car when I get around to it but for the time being it will be good enough to get the car on the road...

<tuffty/>

tufftybloke

Badger 5 Edition
Feb 28, 2009
Gloucestershire, UK
So... ran the engine in today...

20140323_111518.jpg

20140323_112641.jpg

20140323_114448.jpg

Scores on the doors so far... not revved out to redline yet and only on actuator pressure... little bit of creep but manageable
tuffty-runnning-in-gt35-actuator.jpg

Next step is to dump the oil and filter, refill with some more mineral oil and drive around for a tank before dumping the oil again for the good stuff and of course then let the old girl rip :D

Everything else seems to holding up ok although there was a very small wet patch under the car that appeared while the car was cooling down just off the dyno... I suspect its the oil drain but all things considered its a small leak like the coolant one so pleased with that... hopefully I won't have to remove too much stuff to fix it lol

...and of course a video :)
http://youtu.be/3FXtm-NwFj8

<tuffty/>

tufftybloke

Badger 5 Edition
Feb 28, 2009
Gloucestershire, UK
Had a look back at the actuator plot for my GT30...

tuffty-act-plenum-vs-std.jpg

...vs the GT35 setup on the stroker...
tuffty-runnning-in-gt35-actuator.jpg

very close all things considered and the GT35 setup is on less boost too currently..

Should be interesting to see how it goes once boost is turned up lol

<tuffty/>

tufftybloke

Badger 5 Edition
Feb 28, 2009
Gloucestershire, UK
Managed to get the car up on the ramp this afternoon to change the oil and see where this leak was coming from...

Thankfully it turned out to be just the gearbox where I found the crack on the filler stub...
20140326_154809.jpg

This is good news as I knew there was potential for the gearbox to leak from this crack but it at least means everything else is still oil/water tight... I spent a good ten minutes looking everywhere I could think of at every angle I could mange to see if the oil drain or any other point was leaking... nothing!!... result :D
20140326_154817.jpg

So while I drained the engine oil I took the gearbox filler plug out and cleaned everything up.... used a bit of sealant on the threads and bunged it back in... hopefully that will stem the leak long enough for me to get the other box built..

After all that I decided to have a go at repairing the crack in the trim panel for the washer bottle/expansion bottle... used a kit I got from eBay and will see how it looks after its fully cured...
20140326_154751.jpg

So... thats pretty much the car ready for the road... I have a load of little things to do but nothing thats going to stop me driving her for an MOT Saturday and to work on Tuesday :D

Excited much (Bill and Mark can tell you exactly how excited I am)

<tuffty/>

tufftybloke

Badger 5 Edition
Feb 28, 2009
Gloucestershire, UK
Sorry all... its been a very busy couple of weeks... obviously been working hard to get the car ready for the MOT last Saturday which thankfully she past with flying colours... I have also been recently made redundant from my day job so I have been busy dealing with recruiters, doing phone interviews, dusting off my suit and pinching the wifes 'hold in pants' so I can get into the suit trousers lol...

Been a little while since I have had to wear a suit and I think Saturdays traditional 'chip - o - clock' and my love of Dr Pepper may have taken its toll on my waistline a little :D

Anyhoo... I have been driving the car in to work this week... have racked up 190 miles so far and all seems well... suspect there will be another 60-100 miles on her by the weekend as I have interviews this week so will dump the oil at the weekend and top up with the good stuff..

Initial impressions are that the car drives very well considering its the old map (unchanged from its GT30 days)... throttle response in all gears is much better than before... the stroker certainly making a difference here... most notable is third gear... just seems to be ok with everything... pulls up hill from 2000rpm with no real issue...

I am using map 3 of the 5 I have... spools to 1bar then rises to 1.5bar essentially... LTFT's are at -16% so I don't appear to be running out of fuel yet but haven't really pushed the car too often as tbh I am happy to wait until we can get her on the dyno and plug in the emulator for mapping...

Will check her over again for leaks and stuff once I have her on the ramp for the oil change but have checked under the car a few times and nothing so far.. which at least is a good sign...

Issues I have had (as lets face it there are always going to be a few with a build like this)...
I REALLY need to sort out the catch can as the smell is getting right on my boobies... I have ordered some plastic elbows and some hose to sort this out

The back box hits the rear towing eye mount when it gets hot... this is because stainless expands like a mofo and makes the exhaust grow... will review the options when she is up on the ramp but this isn't a major issue and thankful this is all thats happened considering the amount of fabrication I have had to do...

Still the biggest disappointment is the boost creep... kicking myself that I didn't go 2" from the collector for the wastegate outlet... its not enough that it can't be mapped around though and confident its not going to be an issue in the long run... seeing as she has held 2bar of boost at 7k rpm on the highest boost map I have available then its all gravy...

Another thing I didn't expect was surge... on the highest boost map the boost hits about 1.5bar @4.5k and surges until around 5k and then all is good in the world... this is no biggy as it can be mapped around but shows how well my setup actually spools if getting surge with a 2ltr and GT35.. cams are on the cards too ;P

A proper mapping session will sort all these issues out though and thats not too far away hopefully subject to Bills workload but I am planning to take a few weeks after my leave date helping him get on top of his current bookings so would be nice to get her sorted for the dyno day in May

Few little jobs to do but nothing that will prevent me driving her at the moment...

Only other thing I am looking to do is buy another car as a daily... I am set on a 51 plate Audi A2 with the 1.4tdi engine... as much as I love my Mk2 Golf it looks like I will need to commute further for the current crop of jobs I am interviewing for so I realistically need something more suitable for that purpose...

...and look... a whole post with just writing, no pictures or no mention of me painting anything!!.. :D

<tuffty/>

Sep 15, 2012
Aberdeen
Glad to hear she flew through the mot, not surprising the work that has gone into it, and the standard of it. On the other hand, sorry to hear about the redundancy, what is it you do anyway? Just out of interest.

Also, good to hear you are happy with how the car drives, even with the old gt30 map. Hopefully all the wee niggly issues get sorted very soon :).

tufftybloke

Badger 5 Edition
Feb 28, 2009
Gloucestershire, UK
Glad to hear she flew through the mot, not surprising the work that has gone into it, and the standard of it. On the other hand, sorry to hear about the redundancy, what is it you do anyway? Just out of interest.

Also, good to hear you are happy with how the car drives, even with the old gt30 map. Hopefully all the wee niggly issues get sorted very soon :).

database developer/BI solutions/data warehousing etc... computer shizzle :)

<tuffty/>

tufftybloke

Badger 5 Edition
Feb 28, 2009
Gloucestershire, UK
Few more of the little jobs sorted today...

The bottom half of the air box has been modded to death during the various iterations of my build... so much so that its kinda lost its integrity a bit so I got hold of another airbox and this time only made mods required for my current setup... should hold together better now :)
20140406_132611.jpg

20140406_132535.jpg

To help support this as I no longer have a battery tray I have been using a bit of thick alloy filler rod so felt its about time I made something a little bit better...

Support bracket for the airbox...
20140406_140152.jpg

...and support bracket for the battery trim panel...
20140406_144546.jpg

Welded and painted (was getting withdrawal symptoms lol)...
20140406_161343.jpg

...and fitted...
20140406_161706.jpg

As I was on a bracket making roll I cracked on with making one for the catch can as its being held on with a cable tie currently..
20140322_193856.jpg

Used a small offcut section of 3" stainless tube and welded a a bracket to it...
20140406_171247.jpg

20140406_171250.jpg

Painted that too of course :D
20140406_175722.jpg

20140406_180630.jpg

20140406_180635.jpg

A few more off the list... have now done 400 miles on the new engine... feeling stronger all the time... will get the oil changed this week for fully synth ready for mapping... gearbox is still leaking from the crack and still need to 'adjust' the back box a bit but other than that she has been as good as gold all week

<tuffty/>

tufftybloke

Badger 5 Edition
Feb 28, 2009
Gloucestershire, UK
Small update...

Grabbed a ramp today to do the oil change and sort the exhaust knock...

I have done over 500 miles now so while underneath I had a look around for any issues that may have cropped up since the build...

Working from the back I could see where the exhaust was knocking...
20140413_113459.jpg

20140413_113505.jpg

So whipped the towing bracket off for some fettling...
20140413_125459.jpg

20140413_132050.jpg

20140413_132117.jpg

Painted of course :)
20140413_151929.jpg

20140413_154403.jpg

...can report that the knock has gone but will see how it goes over the next few weeks...

Next I noticed the center exhaust rubber had split... its a powerflex one and to be fair the hole was a little smaller than the bracket hanger...
20140413_113514.jpg

...so fixed that in the traditional motorsport manner ;P
20140413_154958.jpg

Had a good look under the engine/gearbox... shock horror the gearbox is still leaking although not as bad so cleaned it up and will have a re-think later... then I noticed pink...! :( bloody coolant leak... had a good hunt around and turned out to be the heater hoses.... phew!..
20140413_135520.jpg

So went around and did a quick clip tightening check on all clips I could get too... cleaned up the mess and moved on :)

Noticed a small drip of oil too... this I believe to have been from the cam cover so I went around the nuts and they all took a turn which tbh is expected on a freshly painted cover as the paint softens with heat and spreads out loosening the torque of the fixings... hopefully that should be sorted now, cleaned it all up too so I could check later if its still leaking...

Last thing I noticed was that I will need to tweak the battery cover support bracket I made the other week and potentially add another one too as the cover is being pulled across..
20140413_113240.jpg

...where it should sit...
20140413_113247.jpg

Will have a look at that another day...

So, that about it now... the car is ready for mapping which will happen as and when Bill can spare some time... I am over there for the next week or so helping out with the back log as I have now finished at my previous day job...

...and while on that subject I have sorted a new job that I start at the beginning of next month... happy days... just need to find this A2 TDi now :)

<tuffty/>

GTi T

May 8, 2005
North West
Excellent work as always Tufty, attention to detail really is impressive

Might see you Tuesday morning if your over at Bill's

Tom

Apr 13, 2011
hull
Your painting skills are a.much loved thing lol I like the way everything has to be painted hahaha. God I do love reading this build through.

With your gear box leak could you not get someone to weld it to stop the leak??

Keep up the grate work

tufftybloke

Badger 5 Edition
Feb 28, 2009
Gloucestershire, UK
Excellent work as always Tufty, attention to detail really is impressive

Might see you Tuesday morning if your over at Bill's

Tom

Ta... I'll be there :)

Your painting skills are a.much loved thing lol I like the way everything has to be painted hahaha. God I do love reading this build through.

With your gear box leak could you not get someone to weld it to stop the leak??

Keep up the grate work

Thanks mate...

I have thought about welding but tbh its not that bad atm so will concentrate on getting the other box built and fitted...

<tuffty/>

wild willy

Aug 4, 2003
Wales
How is the mapping going on this beast.
Tuffty, I always see good parts spraying by you during this build. Do you use a proper spray gun or do you use canned black spray. What do you use as hammerite brushed on is fine for sub frames but brushed hammerite ain't giving me good results in the bay.... too many brush marks so I thought id ask the spray daddy.;)

tufftybloke

Badger 5 Edition
Feb 28, 2009
Gloucestershire, UK
How is the mapping going on this beast.

Not mapped yet... been busy helping Bill the past few weeks while I have been in between jobs...

She hasn't done mileage in the past two weeks as I have been driving the latest addition to the <tuffty/> fleet
20140428_142406.jpg

20140428_142418.jpg

Did the cam belt and a service..
20140503_092258.jpg

...and painted the charge pipe lol...
20140503_193102.jpg

Tuffty, I always see good parts spraying by you during this build. Do you use a proper spray gun or do you use canned black spray. What do you use as hammerite brushed on is fine for sub frames but brushed hammerite ain't giving me good results in the bay.... too many brush marks so I thought id ask the spray daddy.;)

Canned spray... straight out the tin :)

<tuffty/>

Last edited:
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.