car using oil

Lowry020505

My cupra's a LEMON
Mar 22, 2014
Warrington,Cheshire
It won't pal, I agree with you,, it either burning oil or losing in in the coolant, ie. oil cooler or head gasket, either way it's doesn't sound good, worst case a cracked liner or piston

Dec 5, 2012
Harlow
Bottom line is check breathers first. If they look old and collapsed then this could be your problem. A mate of mine with a cupra r had the same problem. Breather pipe kinked and the exhaust was chucking out smoke. Fort the turbo was shot but turned out to be the breather. Unkinked it and all fixed

123tud

Mar 31, 2014
Bridgend South Wales
I had bought a new genuine temp sensor. New thermostat and new coolant around a week ago. The system is nice and clean

I'll have to check all the breathers for blockages and work my way up

Knowing my luck it's going to be the most expensive thing to go wrong

Oct 15, 2013
Midhurst, West Sussex
Hey mate I'm only new to these too but I believe the breathers are underneath the engine covers, When you remove the lower L shaped one you'll have the metal shield left where the oil dipstick goes.

You'll need an allen key and a 10mm socket to remove them, be careful when you do so but underneath there are your breather pipes

Gotta love the way Seat put these engines together :(

waynedunn1234

Aug 23, 2013
Hey mate I'm only new to these too but I believe the breathers are underneath the engine covers, When you remove the lower L shaped one you'll have the metal shield left where the oil dipstick goes.

You'll need an allen key and a 10mm socket to remove them, be careful when you do so but underneath there are your breather pipes

Gotta love the way Seat put these engines together :(

do you mean the vw put the engines together lol.

123tud

Mar 31, 2014
Bridgend South Wales
Update!!
Turns out the smoke I saw is blue in colour
I friend of mine drove the car and I followed him in his car. It only seem to blow a puff of smoke when you pull off and also the start of second gear but those two times only.

I've had a look at my breathers and can't see any signs of kinks or blockages. There is a small bend in one of the pipes and is touching the rad pipe but it all looks okay

I also taken the intake pipe off and checked for oil. There was a light mist around the pipe but nothing rang alarm bells there

I personally think the seal is failing on the hot side of the turbo. Any ideas guys??

Last edited:

waynedunn1234

Aug 23, 2013
Update!!
Turns out the smoke I saw is blue in colour
I friend of mine drove the car and I followed him in his car. It only seem to blow a puff of smoke when you pull off and also the start of second gear but those two times only.

I've had a look at my breathers and can't see any signs of kinks or blockages

I also taken the intake pipe off and checked for oil. There was a light mist around the pipe but nothing rang alarm bells there

I personally think the seal is failing on the hot side of the turbo. Any ideas guys??

if the smoke is blue then oil is been burnt. this is either stem seals or seal on cold side. if the seal on cold side was going smoke is white

Dec 5, 2012
Harlow
Still check the breather system. It's under the inlet manifold goes goes upto the right handside of the rocker cover and then to the turbo intake pipe.

Dec 5, 2012
Harlow
Why do people automatically assume the worst. I don't mean to get arsey but I've told you that blue smoke out the exhaust could be a cheap fix. Have you checked? You could spend £££ and it turns out its a kinked breather

waynedunn1234

Aug 23, 2013
Why do people automatically assume the worst. I don't mean to get arsey but I've told you that blue smoke out the exhaust could be a cheap fix. Have you checked? You could spend £££ and it turns out its a kinked breather

very true but where did the oil go?

Dec 5, 2012
Harlow
The pipework has to keep its shape to work properly. Trust me you would be surprised the amount of smoke these chuck out the exhaust if there's the slightest obstruction

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.