RDS' Leon Cupra R

RDS

OEM+
Aug 11, 2010
Newcastle upon Tyne
Cheers Asha :)

Quick update, it's now in the hands of my mechanic getting the turbo, manifold and clutch fitted :) it's also booked in to R Tech on 10/05 for mapping :D it's like waiting for santa :santa:

Oct 21, 2006
Norfolk
You've obviously been a good boy them... I bet you can't wait to drive it with a BT - a completely different drive I'm sure. And to think I'm still on my standard map :ban:

RDS

OEM+
Aug 11, 2010
Newcastle upon Tyne
Haha, James I'm always on my best behaviour:whistle: it's just hybrid k04 so not really BT. How many times do you have to be told to get yours mapped, you'll love it!

You're both right though, it'll be like a new car once it's all mapped up :)

RDS

OEM+
Aug 11, 2010
Newcastle upon Tyne
It's back in my possession. I've been told it terrified the mechanic that test drive it and after limited time driving it I can confirm that unmapped, it's quick. On boost it's pretty brutal :) mapped it should be decent :)

RDS

OEM+
Aug 11, 2010
Newcastle upon Tyne
Thought I'd update this with my run of awesome luck.

Dropped the car off at R Tech 10/05, went through the spec and found out about the issues issues with the Badger 5 gen 1 exhaust manifold. They must've missed me when they were contacting everyone that had them fitted and were booked in for a remap :/ anyhow they agreed to dyno it and see how it was performing so I hoped on the train back to Newcastle.

So the car is now currently running a base R Tech map. It's making 330bhp at 5281rpm and then the power drops off. So on Saturday I travelled back down and brought the car north, I've spoken to Bill and the manifold is going back to him to be upgraded to the gen 2 FOC.

Once that's done it's going back to R Tech as he's yet to charge me a penny having already stuck a map on the car.

Also on the way back from R Tech the undertray came off and I lost a jack point cover so all in all it's been an epic week

Although driving the car has given me some renewed optimism as up to 5-5,500rpm it drives great so it should be good once the top end power issue is sorted.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2013
That happened to me the other day my under tray came down and must of pulled the jack cover off it's now got "battle scars"

nice figures on the car though buddy

RDS

OEM+
Aug 11, 2010
Newcastle upon Tyne
I just laughed mate, the luck I've had with this thing recently I had no choice :lol:

Figures are canny up to 5281rpm, I just hope with the gen 2 manifold we'll see the figures climb to the red line instead of dropping off.

Ronin225

Jan 17, 2008
Worcester
I remember seeing some pics on the book of face with the bits ready to install, didn't realise you'd still got v1 mani on.
However 330hp is something not to be sniffed at, even if it does require some short shifting.
Im sure all will be sorted soon, I nearly messaged you to see if you wanted to come to the trackday I just went on too

Ronin225

Jan 17, 2008
Worcester
Definitely mate, its I was speaking to barn saying we should make a weekend of one and stay over somewhere for a few beers afterwards

DlllonJ

BAM
Apr 27, 2014
Bedfordshire
What an epic seven hours that was! Mate you're Leon is perfect. I've just spent most of my work shift reading your thread and has really given me some inspiration.

I've recently in the last month brought an artic grey LCR with 49k on the clock. Wasn't my first colour choice either but it definitely grows on you.

Quick question, when you installed the original FMIC not the Toyosport one the other one...Did you have to cut the front crash bar or does it bolt just underneath it?

I want to install one but if it requires cutting and welding etc etc I wouldn't trust myself.

Once again, congratulations you've made one truly amazing motor.

RDS

OEM+
Aug 11, 2010
Newcastle upon Tyne
Cheers mate :D

For the TX intercoolwr all you need to do it drill two holes in the crash bar for the hangers, you will need to cut some inside bits off the bumper though to make it fit properly. Just go for the big toyosport one and drill the welds on the crash bar to get the backing plate off, trust me it's easy.

Thanks again for taking the time to read through this, nice to hear it's still useful.

DlllonJ

BAM
Apr 27, 2014
Bedfordshire
I'm sure it's not as easy as you're making it sound haha.

Did you use any source of information for the install or are you competent enough with a spanner to not need any?

Last edited:

RDS

OEM+
Aug 11, 2010
Newcastle upon Tyne
haha, drilling the welds is easy. Didn't use any info but I already had all the pipework in place from the TX, so just had to replace the core. I doubt anybody would class me as competent I normally just about manage to fumble my way through.

RDS

OEM+
Aug 11, 2010
Newcastle upon Tyne
Didn't realise it was so long since I'd updated this :doh:

So what's been happening.
Well, I've not got a badger 5 exhaust manifold with a collector in it which seems to be working fine however the cars not gone back for mapping yet as I did get a little fed up and just decided to drive it. I'm now looking into a 3.5"/4" downpipe and a decat.

Had a mess around with the engine bay and relocated the battery, resulting in a new heatshield needing to be made:

and relocated the catch can:

Whilst under the bay realised there was something up with the casing on one of the THS FR3 engine mounts:

As it was a week before Fitted UK I got my hands on a second hand OEM mount.

Took some more bits off the engine to be cleaned up/painted:

and the finished product:

Battery and WMI install:

And got some new engine mounts today:

The weekend gone also saw the LEONs first outing on track at Croft and its first trip through gravel at Clervaux :drive1:

Had loads of fun but I've wrecked the powdercoating on one of the alloys so I'm going to be after a second set for track use.

I think that's eveything, I'll try and keep this better updated in future

Cheers for looking :D

Oct 21, 2006
Norfolk
Great update as always Richard. Love the crackle black paint in the bay. Very purposeful and hopefully hard wearing with time. Looking more track day focused and I like it :)

RDS

OEM+
Aug 11, 2010
Newcastle upon Tyne
Cheers gents, the heatshield was a bit rushed so the side needs redone to make it slightly taller. I'm also considering getting rid of the meth tank and just using the washer tank as I've got the 5.5 litre one

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members