Track rod ends - LCR

GoogleBear

Van by Day....R by night
Nov 9, 2010
Caernarfon, North Wales
hi

apparently my track rod ends are knackered again...... What sort of mileage you guys getting out of these parts??

I got less then 25k out of a set! All be it they where pattern parts not SEAT but even so.

The car is only on Eibach springs and poly bushes on the wishbones etc;

anni25pd

Jul 23, 2012
glasgow/ayrshire
For whatever reason I've found my lcr likes to eat track rod ends!! Particularly nearside
Don't think 25k is bad mind you. Got garage to replace nearside once as was in hurry to get it thro Mot, think it was cheap crap & replaced it with Lemforder about 12 months later after only a few thousand miles.

Think it might be a case of buy cheap, buy twice

GoogleBear

Van by Day....R by night
Nov 9, 2010
Caernarfon, North Wales
"Think it might be a case of buy cheap, buy twice"

That's what I was thinking

So obviously I need to get some new ones....which ones are the best ones to get??? Or should I shell out for proper SEAT/VW parts

GJF47

May 15, 2011
Hirwaun, South Wales
I've had to change the nearside one twice since I've had the car. Don't think I've had to do the offside or it may have been done once when I first had it. Gone for a genuine one this time and hope that it lasts longer.

anni25pd

Jul 23, 2012
glasgow/ayrshire
Yeah Lemforder are Oe quality, I buy a lot their stuff via Euro as always a discount code on the go, with free delivery or click n'collect.

redevo1

Mar 23, 2014
How do you know when the track rod ends are worn? I'm getting a slightly loose feeling now and again through the steering wheel?

anni25pd

Jul 23, 2012
glasgow/ayrshire
Yeah a looseness thro steering, vibration at speed usual symptoms. Really easy to quickly jack both each side and check for play.
Lc is different to lcr ends(bolts upward thro spindle)
Worth bearing in mind these can be a total pig to get off dependant how long theyre on!

redevo1

Mar 23, 2014
Ah cheers ill get it looked at after the Easter break :)

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

Mikey_Bling

Apr 25, 2013
Notts
Worth bearing in mind these can be a total pig to get off dependant how long theyre on!

I've just done both of mine and actually ended up cutting them off very carefully with an angle grinder, having broken 2 spanners trying to do it the conventional way. Nightmare.

Pommeh

Dec 5, 2012
I work for zf (who own lemforder) let me check the cost on these on Tuesday for you and you can order through me as I need a set for mine as we so I can just duplicate the order. I would suggest changing the full assembly and not just the tie rod.

Pommeh

Dec 5, 2012
I get them at cost price from the factory, same as clutches, springs, shocks etc etc. I got my 6 paddle SMF clutch kit for £430 :p

Ronin225

Jan 17, 2008
Worcester
My track rod ends lasted 70k even on my very stiff setup, however I had to replace the rods too as I snapped them removing the ends

Pommeh

Dec 5, 2012
It's £19.16 for the full assembly. track rod + outer ball joint and locking nut. that includes vat + delivery.

Bellow is an extra £1.64

I didn't check for just the rod itself as it's not advisable to change them as seperate units.

tom t

Feb 12, 2011
Woo! What a steal that lot would be! Why can't they be that cheap in the first place lol

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.