19" alloys Yay or Nay Pics of Ideas welcome thanks

sean92

Hi folks was thinking of going for 19" alloys for my lcr, it's just been lowered on ST shocks and springs, I have been told the ride will be shocking going for 19" alloys. Does anyone know if this is true and if it's really not worth looking into. Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Oct 15, 2013
Midhurst, West Sussex
Personally I wouldn't bother

I'd stick to 18's for a few reasons.

Tyres are cheaper,
You're more likely to kerb an alloy on 19's
The ride will be shocking compared as the tyre will obviously be lower profile so you'll feel every bump in the road

I'd stick to 18's for the reasons above and also I think 19's will look too big as well lol

markpile

Wolves till i die!!!!
Mar 15, 2014
Wolverhampton
You will hate the ride mate tyres are a nightmare profile is too low for anything near the correct rolling radius and it's been lowered I'd stick with 18's mate but it's your car and looks ain't everything

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

sean92

Ano it's been a hard decision, am so pleased with the handling on the new shocks and springs and wouldn't want to waste that, the only thing is for the looks. Ahhhh decisions! Plus a love the standard alloys but you can't get them in 19" or get any that are even close from what av seen.

YellowLCR

Jun 13, 2010
West Yorkshire
19 inch alloys will ruin the ride of the car, it's hard enough on the stock 18's for me.

Too big a rim can look daft anyway, I'd stick to 18's if I were you mate.

markpile

Wolves till i die!!!!
Mar 15, 2014
Wolverhampton
Yh I agree I fi d the 18's hard going to go up a size to 225/45's maybe the extra 5mm might ease my Oldman Bones lol

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

sean92

Thanks folks this has really helped me, just gonna stick with the nice standard 18". What do you's think about spacers front and back?

Oct 15, 2013
Midhurst, West Sussex
Spacers are ok lol, Providing you don't go too mad with them you shouldn't have any issues catching the tyres on the arches (I'd go between 5 or 10mm personally) but people with LCR's will know more about the capabilities than I do :)

sean92

It's hard to visualise what it would look like, in pics it doesn't say what size of spacers folk are using, cause like you say a wouldn't like to go daft with them.

Pommeh

Dec 5, 2012
There is more to consider than just an upgrade to the alloy as well, you alter the track rods yield strength/buckling load. The cars steering system was developed for 18" alloys, don't use any bigger, the IBJ/TR/OBJ/steering mounts were not developed to take the loads of a 19" wheel.

sunilbass

Jan 12, 2007
lesta
nothing wrong with having 19's... now the choice of your suspension setup.. thats another story..

1606530_692515087459787_300362051_o.jpg

Pommeh

Dec 5, 2012
I assure you that the ball joints were not made to take the loads of 19" wheels. I'm a steering systems engineer for zf, I've spent years designing and developing tie rods, ball joints, steering gears. I know the technical specification of the zf lemforder oe equipment in the Leon's and they are not suitable for 19/20" wheels, just because you have seen it does make it right.

Why do you think the tie rod design changes with wheel size? It's not just for fun, it take months to establish the correct tie rod diameter, obj housing offset and positioning etc.

sean92

That does make sense, the setup is designed for 18"s changing to 19"s could mess up the calibration and also put more strain on parts. If seat wanted it on 19"s they would have done it kinda thing.

westie309

Sep 29, 2007
Walsall west mids
Here's mine on 225 35 19's,only just fitted the new eibach coilies and new split rims and not driven it and sorted the ride height yet but it ain't a million miles away.
e7e7u2y3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sean92

Oh man those alloys are phenomenal mate, car looks amazing, wat kind of alloys are they? Also are you lowered? Thanks

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.