Bikes in the boot

stevemc81

Oct 25, 2013
Random question, has anyone tried getting a couple of bikes in the boot of the Leon?

I don't really want to attach a rear-mounted bike carrier in case it scratches the car so I'd rather stick them in the back if possible.

I would normally just try it but I'm not at home right now to give it a bash so wondering if anyone else has managed it?

shadak

Feb 13, 2014
Done it in my previous car which was basically the same dimensions. Should be fine as long as you put the back seats down and take the front wheel off of the bike.

Ewan

May 7, 2008
Solved this one ages ago by buying a cheap second car nicknamed the 'Donkey' that we use for carting mountain bikes around.

Seat doesn't get scratched at all this way;)

Spuddo

Aug 5, 2013
I've had 2 in the back a few times with the back seats down. I've now bought a Saris Bone 3 and it's been great so far.

weirdkerr

Nov 24, 2013
Morayshire
Get a towbar mate

I hate having to put mine in the car. Was so much easier when I had a towbar :(

A couple of years ago a friend of mine was stopped by police as part of one of those roadside checks and told that it is not advised to carry a push bike in the boot of a car unless securely fastened....

daz990

Apr 16, 2014
I have no idea but I was surprised at the space in the boot when I picked mine up yesterday. I realised that when I test drove one I never bothered to look at the bout space. Oops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jul 17, 2004
West Lothian
I haven't tried yet. I'm paranoid about scratching the bumper and the plastic lip like I did on the last car. I'm sure it'd fit in the SC though, as my old bike fitted in my Ibiza 3 door a few years back with the seats down and wheel off.

stevemc81

Oct 25, 2013
I've had 2 in the back a few times with the back seats down. I've now bought a Saris Bone 3 and it's been great so far.

Well in the end we couldn't quite fit both bikes and the luggage in the back so I bought a Saris Bones 3 bike carrier. However when we mounted it on the back it looked a bit insecure as there's not much of a boot lip for the rubber feet at the bottom to rest on. I drove it round the block with the bikes on and it seemed to slip down a few cm despite the straps being solidly secured.

In the end I chickened out and we used the carrier on my other half's 207 instead but I'll need to give it another go since you said you've managed it OK!

Spuddo

Aug 5, 2013
I'll take some pics next time I use it. Unlike most bike racks it's suspended from the top of the boot rather than having to sit on something like the rear bumper.

I can't say I've noticed mine move at all yet although I've only done 40-50 miles with it on.

bnic11

Mar 21, 2014
Newcastle upon Tyne
As a Racing Cyclist, I always carry my bikes in the car after having a problem with a full roof rack coming off with 3 bikes on !. Take the front wheels out of each bike & turn handlebars so your bikes can go in flat, front end first, one on top of the other. Take care that the front forks don't scuff anything inside. Use some pipe insulation polystyrene tubes, which can fit over the forks or bike frame if needed.

Aardvark

Apr 24, 2014
Leeds, Yorkshire
I should like to offer my opinion that my penny farthing fits in the boot of my ST very easily with the seats folded down and removing the front wheel makes beggar all difference :D

Spuddo

Aug 5, 2013
Just to add I have now done several journeys with my Saris attached. It's been great. I've covered 5-600 miles now and it's doesn't move an inch if you get it on nice and tight.

I would advise cleaning the area at the back where the rubber pads contact the car though or you'll end up with some small scratches.

stevemc81

Oct 25, 2013
Just to add I have now done several journeys with my Saris attached. It's been great. I've covered 5-600 miles now and it's doesn't move an inch if you get it on nice and tight.

I would advise cleaning the area at the back where the rubber pads contact the car though or you'll end up with some small scratches.

Do you rest the lower rubber feet horizontally on the little lip at the bottom of the boot hatch or do you rotate them 90 degrees to rest against the actual hatch?

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.