turbo guide?

waynedunn1234

Aug 23, 2013
Hello, is there a guide on here on how to change a turbo on the Leon Cupra (180)?

iv'e searched but i cannot find anything? would like to do some research before i attempt the challenge

there should be plenty on google as this engine is fitted to so many other vags the methods should be just the same

MooRzy

May 23, 2011
Manchester
I have done this twice now. Not a nice job

Drain oil and coolant
Remove air box
Remove upper boost hoses, charge pipe (one bracket), heat shield and everything else you can see from the top
Remove coolant hard line (the one that is bolted to the oil filter housing)
Remove driveshaft shield
Unbolt RHS driveshaft and disconnect from the gearbox (gives you a lot more room to play with)
Remove downpipe (if it’s your first time, be very careful with your downpipe nuts, I recommend a search on it first)
Start removing anything that is attached to the turbo oil lines, coolant lines and brackets (second charge pipe bracket)

Now you will be ready to start undoing the turbo to manifold bolts, there are three of them and they will be tight.
Get someone to help you whilst you undo the last bolt to stop the turbo falling anywhere (although it probably won’t as there will still be something connected)

Now you need to wiggle the turbo out. The hard-line that was bolted to the oil filter housing will be a bitch to wiggle through but you might be able to get it into a position where you can undo it.

This bit is very frustrating but it does fit. The driveshaft will have to be moved right out of the way, if you are struggling then put full RH lick on and the drive shaft should pull away a little.
You will probably find that I haven’t mentioned something or you have forgotten something and it’s still attached.

When you get the turbo out make sure you save the washers that come with the banjo bolts. It’s really important that they are put back in place when you reinstall otherwise you will have a leak.

That’s the jist of it, just unbolt everything that it’s attached to and wiggle.

The real job is putting it back in. Getting the manifold bolts back in and getting the gasket lined up is hard, you will need two people.

Things to buy:
Downpipe gasket
Turbo manifold gasket
Downpipe nuts (I put a second nut on the studs to stop them rusting, worked a treat)
Oil (5-30 fully synthetic)
Coolant
Silicone TIP ? (I fitted an SFS big TIP which made refitting the turbo ever more difficult)

If you are fitting a new turbo, you will need to prime it with oil before starting the engine, apparently it’s very important.

Good luck and sorry I didn't take any photos when I did it !

Also feel free to ask any more questions.

Last edited:

123tud

Mar 31, 2014
Bridgend South Wales
Thank you for that right up, given me confidance to do it tomorrow,
apologies for the lengthy reply to,

Can you let me know what tools are needed to do the job?
i want to get everything correct before doing it,

ive changed a turbo on a passat PD130, but i like to do some research before I brake it!! haha

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.