window regulator problem

supersticky

Dec 16, 2010
taunton somerset
There are many different types of regulators ones with manual mirrors ones with eleccy also heated or not. Ones with key lock handles ones without!! It needs to be the same part number as the original as I've found out. Just a little heads up :)

Last edited:

johnx14

Feb 3, 2008
Newtownards,Co Down
i used the guide to replace my drivers regulator today, it took me 8 hours but then I am slow! its now succesfully working, HooRay! a few pointers for others that will DIY it. pic 33 of the guide shows a yellow arrow at the doorlock module harness, the release point of mine (leon mk1) was about an inch to the right of where the arrow is, you can't see it as its facing away from you. i snapped the casing off instead, and only then saw where the correct release tab was.....I drilled out the 4 runner rivets and when putting the new ones in, I could barely manage one, such was the force required, i used small bolts instead with a bit of threadlocker liquid. I used a runner kit from seat for 58 quid, which i just bolted onto the metal carrier. no cables to fit or tension then. they also sell it for 20 quid more already attached to a new carrier, but thats even lazier. finally thanks to the guide creator.

mgbond

Other ones gone.

Guys this has happened to my drivers side now. Can someone give me the details of the people In ireland that we buy this stuff from.

Cheers

Silentnight*

Mar 20, 2012
newcastle
Alright lads, I've got the same problem and I bought the set up from euro car parts but I'm just wondering what size bolts I should use when bolting back on as lee said after you have drilled the rivets off? Cheers

SirSuraj

Feb 25, 2008
Middlesex
Lovely thread, just in the middle of doing my passenger side front.

Door lock connector is a git. Snapped the bit i was probably supposed to use to prise it open, then ended up just ripping and mangling the black plastic casing. Still holds and connects though, fortunately.

Doing the cabling proved to be too difficult. Bought the repair kit off ebay, but getting it all tightened was too tough. Tried doing the coil last, as per the video from the seller. No joy. Tried doing a corner coil last, too tough.

Gunna try seremotors, and just get the whole thing. Wimping out from rivetting. Just want my window back!

Dissapointed to fall at the last hurdle though.

Oh, and if i were to try the replacement kit approach again, i'll get the ones with...

a) rubbery anti noise cable casing
b) pre-coiled circular part

Good luck!

mister.c.

mister.c.
Jul 5, 2004
Mine went bang today; well not bang but when the window was moving, it sounded like lots of small stones had got inside and were being dragged up/down by the window. Then the window stopped working.

I was passing my local garage who helped me, with a fair amount of brute force, get the window back up. The motor was still responding intermittently, albeit not always moving the window in the way the controls suggested it would!

The garage mentioned the window regulator, hence I've searched and got to this thread. I'm not too sure whether the motor has survived. Garage mentioned to check out e-bay / or any other places you knew of online, and to avoid the dealers -although they are not VAG, it sounded logical for a 12 year old car.

Hopefully the window is now secure enough for me, in the short term. It looks too big a job for a man of my limited abilities should I go for the self repair. I've one or two other issues with the car, (AC compressor seems fecked following visit to garage) that whilst not terminal on their own, I'm thinking of living with them for the next few months whilst I consider the next move.I've done (all of the) 132k miles and the car still drives well. But maybe its age is starting to catch up on it.

mister.c.

mister.c.
Jul 5, 2004
Can somebody post a pic / link to the mounted on the big aluminium plate option please.
I haven't got too much of an idea what I'm doing, but can see the other one (without the plate but with runners and cables) via the thread.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-SEAT-Leon-Toledo-LEFT-Hand-Front-Window-Lifter-Regulator-Repair-Kit-/360403627532?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item53e9baee0c

And would seremotors be the best place to get it from, or the bay?

I need to make the change of this as easy as possible!

Last edited:

tw_176

Nov 5, 2012
Same problem!

Had the same problem that most have been talking about, heard the horrible gritty sounds followed by a bang when the cables pop out, took all the panels and motor off to find some broken bits of plastic and knackered looking cables. I drilled some of the rivets out before I realised the two holes in the alloy panel where you can loosen the two clamps that hold the window panel, but replaced them with bolts anyway.

I bought a repair kit from ebay, replaced all the cables and reassembled the alloy panel back into the door. The mechanism worked beautifully without the glass in, struggled to get the glass in so had to loosen the clamps right off. with the glass back in and clamped up I moved the mechanism up to check the glass was in square with no gaps and heard the gritty grinding noise again...couldn't get the clamps to line up with the holes to loosen the glass up and after more grinding noises :wtf: and swearing I finally got the window back up, shut the door and cracked open a bottle of wine, I didn't even want to look at the mess behind the alloy panel again.

I can only think that something is bent that has caused it to go wrong again, has anyone else experienced this?

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.