Subtle mod's

Gokiwi64

Geriatric Member
Apr 26, 2014
Hockley, Essex
So I think I understand what mods I can do but just want confirmation really.

These in no particular order.

1. Panel or cone filter, if cone then I need one of Ritchies heat shields (No K&N though)
2. Front mount intercooler
3. Exhaust Cat back or Cat removal, not sure which is best
4. Remap

Now the bit I am a little confused over so please excuse the lack of technical understanding.

Blow off Valve (BOV ?) or Recirc Valve ?, I know they kind of achieve the same thing and the BOV probably sounds kinda cool but are there any other reasons ?

Probably brakes and suspenders after that or during depending on money.

R1TCH1E

Apr 1, 2013
Worcester
So I think I understand what mods I can do but just want confirmation really.

These in no particular order.

1. Panel or cone filter, if cone then I need one of Ritchies heat shields (No K&N though)
2. Front mount intercooler
3. Exhaust Cat back or Cat removal, not sure which is best
4. Remap

Now the bit I am a little confused over so please excuse the lack of technical understanding.

Blow off Valve (BOV ?) or Recirc Valve ?, I know they kind of achieve the same thing and the BOV probably sounds kinda cool but are there any other reasons ?

Probably brakes and suspenders after that or during depending on money.

Stick to a recirc valve pal. Known problems with bovs. Either forge 007 or forge 008p.

ben450

Feb 17, 2012
London
I've got one of Ritchies heatshields with a big Pipercross filter sounds sweet. Full exhaust with decat will obviously be better but unless you have a friendly mot tester it might be worth you getting a sport cat. Don't get a BOV they can cause the car to go into limp mode. Get a 007 or 008 from Forge. Still get the tttssshhh noise with them and open cone filter.

Oct 15, 2013
Midhurst, West Sussex
Right buddy I'm sure you may learn but the search bar comes in handy but as you're new I'll not be too harsh lol

If you're wanting to extract performance then go for the Panel filter first or the cone depending on if you want noise or power etc (massive debates will always be had over which is best)

I'd say start with the panel filter or cone then go for the exhaust after

If you decat a turbo car you'll have a noticeable gain in power BUT it won't be road legal due to emissions so if you get pulled over and they check, expect the worst (many people run decats without a problem though) although you'll either need a friendly MOT tester or to refit the OEM cat into the system again in order to pass MOT on emissions as mentioned.

I wouldn't worry about the FMIC until you've got the Turbo Intake Pipe upgraded, If it's a Non Cupra R then grab yourself a SFS Oversized TIP which allows more airflow, More air = More power

When it comes to the Valve question, You'd be better off with a Recirc valve. (Many people use Forge 007p or Forge 008's)

The reason for this is if you use the standard Blow of valve the MAF sensor on the Car can't get a true reading and so it'll tell the ECU there's a problem and then go into limp mode so it won't be healthy at all is my understanding although I'm no expert)
So for that reason people use the Forge's mentioned although it won't sound as good but with a cone filter it'd sound much louder than standard

Once you've done these things THEN look into remaps, An average remap will usually cost somewhere around the 300 quid mark,

Although you don't need any mods for a stage 1 map which will give you a healthy chunk of power more than standard which will be good, As you add mods to that map you'll then need to go towards stage 2.

If you have the above mentioned things already then you're ready to go straight to stage 2 and save yourself the money it'd cost to get the map updated from 1 to 2

Hope this helps

potter88

Jan 1, 2011
Norwich
Right buddy I'm sure you may learn but the search bar comes in handy but as you're new I'll not be too harsh lol

If you're wanting to extract performance then go for the Panel filter first or the cone depending on if you want noise or power etc (massive debates will always be had over which is best)

I'd say start with the panel filter or cone then go for the exhaust after

If you decat a turbo car you'll have a noticeable gain in power BUT it won't be road legal due to emissions so if you get pulled over and they check, expect the worst (many people run decats without a problem though) although you'll either need a friendly MOT tester or to refit the OEM cat into the system again in order to pass MOT on emissions as mentioned.

I wouldn't worry about the FMIC until you've got the Turbo Intake Pipe upgraded, If it's a Non Cupra R then grab yourself a SFS Oversized TIP which allows more airflow, More air = More power

When it comes to the Valve question, You'd be better off with a Recirc valve. (Many people use Forge 007p or Forge 008's)

The reason for this is if you use the standard Blow of valve the MAF sensor on the Car can't get a true reading and so it'll tell the ECU there's a problem and then go into limp mode so it won't be healthy at all is my understanding although I'm no expert)

So for that reason people use the Forge's mentioned although it won't sound as good but with a cone filter it'd sound much louder than standard

Once you've done these things THEN look into remaps, An average remap will usually cost somewhere around the 300 quid mark,

Although you don't need any mods for a stage 1 map which will give you a healthy chunk of power more than standard which will be good, As you add mods to that map you'll then need to go towards stage 2.

If you have the above mentioned things already then you're ready to go straight to stage 2 and save yourself the money it'd cost to get the map updated from 1 to 2

Hope this helps

It doesn't cost any extra at a lot of places to upgrade the map. AMD charge £299 for stage 1 map/ Stage 2 Map £420 but if you have the Stage 1 Map from AMD and want to upgrade they only charge £120 for change from Stage 1 to 2

RedPanther1.8t

Apr 18, 2014
I'm the new owner of a 2003 seat leon cupra 180. The car is completely stock, a blank slate to work on. I'm trying to do as much research as I can before I start modding.

A very helpful post above reads: "if it's a Non Cupra R then grab yourself a SFS Oversized TIP which allows more airflow, More air = More power"

My car is not a cupra r but when I look online for Sfs oversized TIP I only find ones for the cupra R. Can these be used on leon cupra 180? The ones that are specifically listed for standard cupra 180 don't look as "oversized". Any advice?

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2013
Midhurst, West Sussex
I'm the new owner of a 2003 seat leon cupra 180. The car is completely stock, a blank slate to work on. I'm trying to do as much research as I can before I start modding.

A very helpful post above reads: "if it's a Non Cupra R then grab yourself a SFS Oversized TIP which allows more airflow, More air = More power"

My car is not a cupra r but when I look online for Sfs oversized TIP I only find ones for the cupra R. Can these be used on leon cupra 180? The ones that are specifically listed for standard cupra 180 don't look as "oversized". Any advice?

As The Swede has already linked up for you I won't need to but I'd say if you're upgrading a TIP then it's likely to be advisable to upgrade your Dump Valve as well, Most people tend to go for Forge OO7p's or 008's but make sure you've got the correct spring in (Standard would be Green) If you decide to remap the car then upgrade to Yellow but don't put a yellow one in until the car's mapped else you'll run into problems :)

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.