Leon Cupra Tdi chat/advice

rickyquicky

May 12, 2010
Hi,

Currently have a Golf GTI edition 30, I don't do enough miles to warrant keeping the car, and really need to raise some cash for my house.

I've decided there's probably not a better diesel car for the the money besides a leon cupra tdi.

Guys who have got one - what's it like generally?

Is it a decently quick?

Reliable?

Worth a remap?

I had a 2.0 tdi Audi A3 a few years ago, I know it's a different engine but the DMF on the A3 was like chocolate - do these suffer the same problem DMF's?

Any info/advice appreciated!

ben450

Feb 17, 2012
London
Rick you gonna get a mk1 or mk2? There's loads of peeps on here with them. They sound pukka decatted

rickyquicky

May 12, 2010
yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep.

Want to get a mk1.

they are within the budget (4k max) and i can't think of anything else, diesel, that's better for the money.

not gonna do anything major to it, just want to make it mint and maybe a little remap and EGR delete to make it a nicer drive. just worried about DMF's and any issues they might have...want to know what to look for.

do these have the same suspension/steering set up as yours ben do you know? do they drive well?

Last edited:

ben450

Feb 17, 2012
London
The Cupra R TDI will be the one to get mate. I would imagine they are in the same suspension as mine. Donf know loads about the tdi but there will def be peeps on here that know about them.

Oct 15, 2013
Midhurst, West Sussex
The Cupra R TDI will be the one to get mate. I would imagine they are in the same suspension as mine. Donf know loads about the tdi but there will def be peeps on here that know about them.

What is this Cupra R TDi? ;)

I believe you mean the Cupra FR TDi 150, I believe this one is the later spec (Up to around 54 plate I've seen) and they're fitted with the PD150 engine

Suspension wise I'd expect them to be the same as the Petrol models, They're good fun to chuck around once you've lowered them and upgraded ARB's they'll handle predictably enough.

They're torquey enough and will be even better with a map as well I'd expect :)

ben450

Feb 17, 2012
London
What is this Cupra R TDi? ;)

I believe you mean the Cupra FR TDi 150, I believe this one is the later spec (Up to around 54 plate I've seen) and they're fitted with the PD150 engine

Suspension wise I'd expect them to be the same as the Petrol models, They're good fun to chuck around once you've lowered them and upgraded ARB's they'll handle predictably enough.

They're torquey enough and will be even better with a map as well I'd expect :)

Basically what I said then looks like a Cupra R has a diesel engine

Oct 15, 2013
Midhurst, West Sussex
I didn't think it had the Cupra R bumper or 18's or the Brembo's on the diesel, they've got 280mm brakes or similar size I think ?

Edit after a quick search the FR TDi has the same kit as facelift Cupra petrol and new style alloys

FR+ TDi has Cupra R bodykit and 17 inch wheels similar to the Cupra R design as well as silver mirror caps.

Last edited:

BenG

Ben
Oct 26, 2011
Cove Bay, Aberdeen
The earlier ones were called Cupra TDI. These were replaced by the FR TDI and FR+ TDI, the latter having bigger wheels and a bodykit which looks more like a Cupra R.

Bad Points:

Cam / follower wear. Requires new cam / followers. May be linked to incorrect engine oil - need a PD-specific oil to VW 505.01 or 507.00 specification.

Remap can cause clutch slip. Uprated clutch really needed for torque levels over around 300 lb ft (though mine slipped at 300). Good uprated clutches (like Sachs Organic) can cost 2-3 times the cost of the remap.

Door seals tend to leak & let water into the interior.

AC fan controller can fail - slow-speed fan should run with the car idling, engine cold & climate control on. If the high-speed fan pulses on and off instead the fan control unit has failed. Replacing the fans and controller isn't that cheap so check they're OK.

Door locking modules can fail and require replacement. The parts are cheap on eBay and there's a how-to guide for replacement somewhere on VW Vortex.

Don't buy a yellow one! - lacquer peel and paint fading are issues (and have rendered my car effectively worthless in the space of 2 years).

Not the quietest or smoothest diesel around.

Bayonet-fitting pressure pipes between the turbo and the engine tend to wear and leak, as do the O-ring seals in the joints.

17" wheels & 225/45 tyres feel too big for the car - crap ride and lots of steering column shake over bumpy roads. I downsized to 16s on 205/55s like the early petrol Cupras and it improved the ride and reduced road noise.

The PD150 is a big laggy in stop-start driving. Comes into its own on faster roads when the turbo can be kept on boost and power does not fall off at higher revs.

Original water pumps could fail - plastic impeller becomes detached from shaft. Replace water pump with all-metal version when cambelt is replaced, or check if it's been done already.

Hard ride, esp. on original 17" or 18" wheels.

Good points:

Good economy. My car easily does 52mpg on longer trips and up to 58 if babying it.

Can be remapped easily to around 190hp / 300+ lb ft pf torque (subject to clutch issues above) which makes a big difference to performance. If you get a remap get the EGR mapped out at the same time, and physically blocked. Else, EGR flow can be turned down to a minimum using VCDS.

No DPF issues as no DPF fitted, which is good. Injectors also tend to be reliable compared with common rail diesels. Drivetrain seems to cope OK with large increases in torque from remapping.

6-speed box gives 2000rpm at 75mph, relaxing for long trips.

Handles quite well for a nose-heavy diesel, though there's room for improvement with better springs and shocks. The FR is already quite low though so I would not suggest lowering more than 20-25mm if you want to be able to drove over speed cushions, etc.

Mar 16, 2013
Shrewsbury
I have the facelift 150 tdi, and im happy with it, best upgrade is getting the suspension done, really improves the handleing aswell as the looks.

rickyquicky

May 12, 2010
Guys, really appreciate the advice.

BenG especially - good quick intro to mk1 tdi's

Will see you guys again in a month - hopefully with the new car!

(Anyone want to part ex a cupra/fr tdi mk1 with an edition30 let me know!!!)

rickyquicky

May 12, 2010
yeeeep.

Picked up my cupra tdi yesterday. :D

Black, half-decent mileage (85k), and rear parking sensors which i've never seen on a mk1 leon?

Anyway, really like the car, feels like a boat after the edition 30 but have some plans for it - some minor upgrades and make it a minter!

Just a quick one - are cupra R springs a worthwhile upgrade or are they the same? wouldn't mind a cheeky 10-15mm drop if at all possible

Last edited:

RaviR50

Aug 15, 2012
Southampton
better off getting some proper lowering springs dude or go all out with coilovers or spring/shock package. If the clutch isnt slipping get it mapped lad! changing the bushes to poly bushes makes a world of difference, upgrade the dogbone mount bush for a big change easy and cheap too. adding a rear arb will change it worlds too ;)

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.