Brakes FR TFSi

BlackCupraa

2.0 BOOST
Sep 18, 2004
Chesterfield
Hi Guys,

What discs and pads are you all running on the 312mm set up?

I used to have DS2500 pads on my old S3 and loved them, however discs I don't know where to start. I don't care much for drilled and grooved etc, just a plain old disc would be lovely.

Cheers!

goldie87

Nov 20, 2010
Midlands
I literally had my pads and discs changed all round on my FR with Delphi ones. Altogether, I got them for around £130 (inc.VAT).

Dopedpanda

"Old" Hardcore Ford Fan
Jun 15, 2013
Denmark
Personally i wouldn´t bother with the 345 upgrade, did it to a mates, and i don´t feel its worth it. If you get the brake kit thrown in the back, then maybe, but else i would save the Money.

DS2500 are good all around pads, though they can feel like they take some time to get up to grip when its Cold.

goldie87

Nov 20, 2010
Midlands
Gotta quick question about brakes.. I got mine fitted about two weeks now, I know they take a while to wear down etc, but mine are squeaking as hell, mainly when i'm at a low speed... any idea what I can do?

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com
Make sure the contact surfaces of the pad to the carrier are properly lubricated or failing that try different pads. Delphi are known squeakers.

Do you get a lot of brake dust?

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com
That can be cause by a high steel content in the pad material. Not necessarily a good thing and can cause unwanted side effects like squeaking/squealing.

goldie87

Nov 20, 2010
Midlands
Ouch..doesn't sound too good! I'll start off with making sure the pads are lubricated properly.. Can I just put some copper grease around the disc so when I apply the brakes, it'll catch the grease? Or is there another way to do it without taking the pads off?

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com
Don't put grease anywhere near the discs or pad mating surface.

Make sure the caliper slides are libricated and failing that it'll be the pads.

BlackCupraa

2.0 BOOST
Sep 18, 2004
Chesterfield
Don't put grease anywhere near your facing pad or disc, are you trying to kill yourself?

Maybe some copper slip on the back of the pad where it seats in the caliper may help?

goldie87

Nov 20, 2010
Midlands
Yeah makes sense now lol, what a stupid question to ask.

Can I do that without taking the pad off?

Last edited:

BlackCupraa

2.0 BOOST
Sep 18, 2004
Chesterfield
You'll need to knock the pad out yes and then just put a blob or two on the back of it. While it's off I'd recommend giving the caliper et al a good wire brushing!

leonmk2cupra

Sep 24, 2013
I was going to do the 345 upgrade but really don't feel the need to.

So looks like DS2500's and some Brembo / Eicher discs then!

for anyone that thinks it doesnt make much difference...
i recently had to drive my mates mk5 gti a couple of miles and the brakes felt very lifeless, spongier and slower reacting compared to those in my cupra...dont get me wrong, my mate doesnt complain about bad brakes, but he's running only 200 brake not the 350 ive got in mine. im running standard 345mm and they are up to the job even with a 100 ponies more than standard.

Crafoo

Crazy Fool!
Apr 30, 2005
At home
I'd advise getting someone who knows what the crack is to do it for you mate, doesn't sound like you're too clued up and where the brakes are concerned you really don't want to take any chances.

olitaylor07

Badger Badger
Jul 15, 2012
West Yorkshire
I'd advise getting someone who knows what the crack is to do it for you mate, doesn't sound like you're too clued up and where the brakes are concerned you really don't want to take any chances.

A guy who works In our department at work usually comes in on a morning and tells me he has problems with his car (corsa 05 1.2) and he knows **** all. I usually go out tell him what's wrong and he gets it sorted. Didn't even know what tyre sized he wanted to the other day.

He came in today and said I sorted my brakes out (pads ridiculously low) and I said oh right who did them for you his reply was me. He said he wasn't wasting anymore money on people fixing his cars so he did it him self. I sat him down as I didn't believe him and said tell me what you did then.

He started off saying well I undid the wheel with one of the crowbar things (great start) undid two bolts at the back and took the brake off. I then took the pads out, pumped the pedal :-/ and then put the new pads in, pumped the pedal again and put the brake back on and the bolts.

How he got to work today with that explanation I will never no, or how the **** he got the piston to go back in. Lol.

Made my morning.

Moral of the story.....don't do it yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.