Uprating clutch advice

Bret

Lcr stealth :)
Aug 3, 2010
Cambridgeshire
Hi I have an LCR,I noticed clutch slip a few days ago in 5th and 6th gear looking to upgrade clutch to sachs clutch and SMF but have heard about vibrations with this flywheel etc.People seem to buy the standard dual mass flywheel and then the uprated clutch but surely the Idea of uprating is to get better than before so can someone shed light on what this is all about as just had stage 2 and tbh I dont know if a standard flywheel would last???

towcester vag

Oct 17, 2011
duston northants
dualmass flywheels are a must on a diesel to balance the engine vibrations
smf are ok on petrols
the only thing is it can affect the gearbox due to the snatch on take up of drive

Bret

Aug 3, 2010
Cambridgeshire
dualmass flywheels are a must on a diesel to balance the engine vibrations
smf are ok on petrols
the only thing is it can affect the gearbox due to the snatch on take up of drive

So it will be ok on petrol then just possible gearbox damage?isit a straight forward replacement for the Lcr clutch and flywheel i.e would a reputable garage be able to replace standard for uprated clutch and flywheel without any hassle? thanks for your feedback on this as I have read several threads but none seem to get to the point.Its much appreciated :)

wild willy

Aug 4, 2003
Wales
I've had a sach performance clutch fitted to my LCR with a new dual mass fly wheel. Very smooth with a little heavier clutch feel rated to 380ft/lbs. General advice is stay away from smf setups until your power dictates that you have to use them ie greater than 400 ft/lbs.

Bret

Aug 3, 2010
Cambridgeshire
I've had a sach performance clutch fitted to my LCR with a new dual mass fly wheel. Very smooth with a little heavier clutch feel rated to 380ft/lbs. General advice is stay away from smf setups until your power dictates that you have to use them ie greater than 400 ft/lbs.

Thats great advice thanks Wild W I dont plan on much more than what I have tbf would like 300bhp n between 320 and 350 ft/lbs but I will see I just cant wait to be able to fully open up my stage 2 although my clutch only just started slipping its still getting on my **ts.

As your a man of much experience in the car world will the uprated sachs clutch just replace the standard Lcr clutch..or will it involve modifying anything.?sorry if this sounds like I a newbie but I not had much experience or even problems with clutches tbf so its nice to learn something new just looking for good advice :shrug:

Last edited:

wild willy

Aug 4, 2003
Wales
Thats great advice thanks Wild W I dont plan on much more than what I have tbf would like 300bhp n between 320 and 350 ft/lbs but I will see I just cant wait to be able to fully open up my stage 2 although my clutch only just started slipping its still getting on my **ts.

As your a man of much experience in the car world will the uprated sachs clutch just replace the standard Lcr clutch..or will it involve modifying anything.?sorry if this sounds like I a newbie but I not had much experience or even problems with clutches tbf so its nice to learn something new just looking for good advice :shrug:
Hi mate, i probably only know a smidge more than you but i have spoken to a no of tuners before i made my decision. Nothing needs modifying its simply a straight swap. Another good choice would be the Helix dual mass setup. Single mass setups are popular especially ones with springs on the friction plate which keep vibrations to a minimum. I'm really happy with the Sachs. To be honest you'll here good and bad rviews on all things clutch related.

Bret

Aug 3, 2010
Cambridgeshire
Hi mate, i probably only know a smidge more than you but i have spoken to a no of tuners before i made my decision. Nothing needs modifying its simply a straight swap. Another good choice would be the Helix dual mass setup. Single mass setups are popular especially ones with springs on the friction plate which keep vibrations to a minimum. I'm really happy with the Sachs. To be honest you'll here good and bad rviews on all things clutch related.

Thanks for your help (Wild W) I went for Sachs uprated clutch and a new DMF and its perfect exactly what I wanted :D :funk:

Last edited:

Pommeh

Dec 5, 2012
You would have been fine with a Sachs sre SMF on a cupra r. Sachs have spent millions of pounds ensuring that their flywheels are perfectly balanced for their intended application. You usually find people have problems with SMF when they use a cheaper brand or use a flywheel that has been lightened too much.

I agree with wilds comment though, at your power rating providing you aren't tracking then dmf is probably more advisable, you can add 25% to the torque rating on the sachs sre clutch as well! the Germans are overly cautious.

Bret

Aug 3, 2010
Cambridgeshire
You would have been fine with a Sachs sre SMF on a cupra r. Sachs have spent millions of pounds ensuring that their flywheels are perfectly balanced for their intended application. You usually find people have problems with SMF when they use a cheaper brand or use a flywheel that has been lightened too much.

I agree with wilds comment though, at your power rating providing you aren't tracking then dmf is probably more advisable, you can add 25% to the torque rating on the sachs sre clutch as well! the Germans are overly cautious.

Yeah but with a SMF you have a horrible knocking noise when sitting at idle until you get moving and also the snatching of the smf would mean a new gearbox at some point too. I did think about one but its not for track so an original dual mass flywheel from seat was suffice.I dont want anymore than 300bhp anyway my torque will be no more than 340 so plenty enough for my needs :)

Last edited:

Bret

Aug 3, 2010
Cambridgeshire
Do you have the links for the setup you went for Bret? Considering this one myself...According to the description it should be good for stage 2 but no torque figures quoted..Would also like oem feel if possible.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/SEAT-LEON-CU...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item415d293c73

Would you think its single or dual mass? Not 100% as the title doesnt state..

Brian

Ozzymyster I wouldnt get the kit from ebay as they have bin known to be duds and just either a standard replacement or bits from different clutch kits imo I would order from a reputable dealer or company preferably AMD ;) but thats your choice, you will still get a good price and what you order.I looked at those kits and had seen some of those from ebay last less than a month sorry :( but rather know now than afterwards :)

Last edited:

wild willy

Aug 4, 2003
Wales
Thanks for your help (Wild W) I went for Sachs uprated clutch and a new DMF and its perfect exactly what I wanted :D :funk:

Your welcome Brett, glad your happy with it. Mines been in over a year now and beded in nicely only a little firmer than stock.
Don't skimp on the clutch guys it could end in tears.;)

ozzymyster

Jun 27, 2010
cheers for the advice.. it's advertised as sachs parts and thousands of positive feedback.. thought it looked like good value..

Bret

Aug 3, 2010
Cambridgeshire
cheers for the advice.. it's advertised as sachs parts and thousands of positive feedback.. thought it looked like good value..

Yeah great value bud up to you at the end of the day.The amount of times ive ordered from ebay and parts have bin wrong or not as described id rather spend once than several times jus my opinion your car your money just spend wisely :)

Last edited:

Bret

Aug 3, 2010
Cambridgeshire
Your welcome Brett, glad your happy with it. Mines been in over a year now and beded in nicely only a little firmer than stock.
Don't skimp on the clutch guys it could end in tears.;)

See now you say bedded in lol i was told go steady for 200 miles others say 500 others say not at all.How long did yours take to feel stiffer LOL as mine is really soft LOL :lol: :lol: :lol: but i have done nearly 230 miles on it with some hard and some normal driving "/ and slightly worry im not treating it right lol but its not as if i sit still lighting up the tyres whats your take wild W ?

Pommeh

Dec 5, 2012
It does not matter if you drive it hard or soft, it just takes time for the friction plate to bed in.

And whoever bought it off ebay... I assure you it will be fake, sachs don't make a stage 2 Kevlar clutch kit. It's either sachs sre or it's not.

ozzymyster

Jun 27, 2010
I didn't buy it off eBay.. it was just an option I was looking at based on positive feedback from that seller.. I've ruled out that option now based on comments here..

Brian

Bret

Aug 3, 2010
Cambridgeshire
I didn't buy it off eBay.. it was just an option I was looking at based on positive feedback from that seller.. I've ruled out that option now based on comments here..

Brian

Good bud but like i said its only our advice its up to you what you choose to do let us know in an RR :)

Bret

Aug 3, 2010
Cambridgeshire
It does not matter if you drive it hard or soft, it just takes time for the friction plate to bed in.

And whoever bought it off ebay... I assure you it will be fake, sachs don't make a stage 2 Kevlar clutch kit. It's either sachs sre or it's not.

Thanks helped me relax a bit more now :funk: thanks :D