o2m shim?

tully78

Jan 8, 2014
Sorted!!!

Good luck guys.

Trust me it works. If u got no whine yet still do this as a preventative.

bilko

just bought a low miles gearbox for my 04 lcr tonight and then spotted this thread lol

although mine is a loud grind on decel in 3rd 4th with some strange other noises happening.

i think this mod may be required whe ni pick the replacement box up ;)
great info

csd_19

May 11, 2005
Angus / Edinburgh
Then I'll leave it alone. It will probably run another 100k without a hitch. :) You have to really know what to listen for (and turn the stereo off) to even notice it so it's not a big deal.

The earlier boxes were a better design, hence why your box has been fine all this time with a very slight whine.

The original box in my 01 Cupra was only replaced due to a shift fork breaking and sticking the gearbox in 3rd, not very handy for pulling away! It also had a slight whine from the day I bought the car to the day the shift fork broke (almost 80k miles / 8 years iirc). :) I'll get it fixed at some point.

tully78

Jan 8, 2014
Bilko I would try this first before u remove your box. If it don't work just pop it your new box. First time u do it you will have to remove black cover with a flat screwdriver and will damage it. Make sure the damage part is at the top when u reinstall it. Tap it home and take it for a spin. U will be surprised. If it don't work u still got a new cover to put on yours plus the shim.
Will save u alot of work.
Good luck

Dec 5, 2012
Harlow
Nice one mate. I'm going to order the parts tomorrow as I have a whine that has slowly gotten progressively worse in 3rd gear. I shall post back once fitted!

bilko

Bilko I would try this first before u remove your box. If it don't work just pop it your new box. First time u do it you will have to remove black cover with a flat screwdriver and will damage it. Make sure the damage part is at the top when u reinstall it. Tap it home and take it for a spin. U will be surprised. If it don't work u still got a new cover to put on yours plus the shim.
Will save u alot of work.
Good luck

thanks mate ;) i think thats what i will do :)
cheers

bilko

i have managed to find an end cap new on ebay.
anywhere online i can order the shim ??

Dave_c85

Dec 1, 2013
Are there any more end caps on the bay or just one. Linky? Gonna tackle this one myself.

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

bilko

there was 5 of them.
will get a link tomorow after work if you dont find it

tully78

Jan 8, 2014
There only a fiver not worth messing about. U got to get the shim from manufacturers really. You'll have to go there anyway.

peck10

Aug 6, 2013
Has anyone done this on their lcr who could give me some advice? The VW forum says drivers side but somone in this thread said passenger side? Also how do I remove the arch liner to get to the box as it seems a real puzzle? I am quite stupid when it comes to stuff like this as you can probably tell so any advice would be really greatful

ben450

Feb 17, 2012
London
Has anyone done this on their lcr who could give me some advice? The VW forum says drivers side but somone in this thread said passenger side? Also how do I remove the arch liner to get to the box as it seems a real puzzle? I am quite stupid when it comes to stuff like this as you can probably tell so any advice would be really greatful

It's on the passenger side mate. Take wheel off and there's a black liner you will see it behind that. I just undone one nut and pulled it down out the way.

peck10

Aug 6, 2013
Ah ok cheers. Im having some trouble removing the liner, it seems to be quite well attached to different parts of the arch liner with multiple bolts/screws. You know where I could find some kind of guide for removing that bit as i am clueless

D1andonlyantman

Dec 5, 2013
Hi. I attempted doing this the other week but with no success. I got the cap off and could see the clip but you put the shim behind, but it was well stuck in place and I couldn't even nearly get it out, even when using an extractor. It didn't spin like in the video I've seen which is what got me a little worried it might be proper jammed in there.. Since then I've actually bought a pair of decent rod type extractors rather than the scissor style ones I was using before but just wanted to check that the clip being stuck in isn't the end of the world and I should pry the little ****er out?

Thanks

Last edited:

slugmaster100

Jan 25, 2014
Make sure the car is out of gear and then when you have the cap off, stick your finger down the middle of the shaft, put as much pressure as you can against the side of it and pull it towards you. The whole input shaft should move a bit towards you, giving more clearance to remove the clip and have more room to put the shim in too. The noise is caused by the movement of that shaft so the shim takes that movement out.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

BenG

Ben
Oct 26, 2011
Cove Bay, Aberdeen
Tried to do mine yesterday but a waste of time as the shim would not fit - there was not enough end movement in the shaft to allow the circlip to fit back in its groove once the shim was inserted.

Quite time-consuming too (1.5h) as I had to remove the wheelarch liner, undertrary and the splash guard at the side of the gearbox to access the black cover.

Car has done 67k miles so maybe not enough wear to justify fitting the shim. Will have to keep putting up with the gearbox whining I guess...

BenG

Ben
Oct 26, 2011
Cove Bay, Aberdeen
Ah ok cheers. Im having some trouble removing the liner, it seems to be quite well attached to different parts of the arch liner with multiple bolts/screws. You know where I could find some kind of guide for removing that bit as i am clueless

Wheelarch liner is held on by quite a few torx-headed bolts but they're all easy to see except there's one up in the suspension strut tower which is hard to see but not that hard to get at. Also a couple of bolts on the edge of the wheelarch lip - just keep undoing bolts and waggling the liner to find out where there are any bolts still in place. When they're all out the liner should drop out pretty easily.

If your car's like mine you'll also need to remove the engine undertray - again held on by lots of torx bolts which are easy enough to see - and the splash guard which sits to the left of the gearbox - this is held in place by a single torx bolt under the car, which attaches to the edge of the splash guard near where the undertray attaches to the guard, and also two springy steel disc fittings which attach the guard to the car body - these need to be prised off with a screwdriver.

Once the splash guard is off you'll see the circular black cover.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise