SFS intercooler and pancake pipe TDI Problem ?

runnerpart2

Runnerpart2
May 23, 2009
Leeds
OK so my old intercooler and pancake pipes where knackered cause the clips had worn and the metal lugs on the pancake pipe had broke, so i replaced with the SFS intercooler and pancake pipe set. The SFS pancake pipe is bigger then the original which made it hard to refit the o/s splash guard that joins the undertray, but none the less i managed to get it in.

My issue is i still have a boost leak from the pipe that joins the plastic pipe on the intercooler itself (pic 4 where it joins the black pipe). Just on engine idle if i put my hands around the join, i can feel air coming out which iam guessing shouldnt happen as its loosing the PSI there........any ideas ?

Really pissed after spending £250 and iam not better off then before, if anything iam loosing more boost, cars smoking more and i feel like iam down on power more so then the old vag leaky hoses.

DSC03087.jpg

DSC03088.jpg

DSC03098.jpg

DSC03092.jpg

DSC03093.jpg

with the upgraded pancake pipe do you think by crushing the width of the pipe will stop the part from rubbing on full lock?

From your experience with the pipe would you say it benefited you car until it failed on you.

Sep 18, 2009
Shropshire
given my experience with this kit id avoid it. Apart from the rubbing on the drive shaft that eat its way through on of the boost hoses I had hoses constantly popping off. I was glad to get a new set of standard boost hoses on there. Canst say I overly noticed any difference between the two. Sometimes you think something's better cause its been uprated but that's not always the case

indiemike

ZOOMZOOM
Apr 12, 2010
Wirral
I spent a fortune to on the whole SFS set up both sides of the fmic to be less than impressed to find that I still had boost leaks coming from the fmic.

In the end I used lots of cable ties 9mm ones to try and keep the connects together until one day one end of the fmic blown apart and shattered a section of plastic. Must on had a hair line crack in it before hand.

Ended up patching up and selling the car.

Just a quick question have you got the pipes to secure? There are no fixing points like the allard set up and found the pipes moved around alot under boost

runnerpart2

Runnerpart2
May 23, 2009
Leeds
given my experience with this kit id avoid it. Apart from the rubbing on the drive shaft that eat its way through on of the boost hoses I had hoses constantly popping off. I was glad to get a new set of standard boost hoses on there. Canst say I overly noticed any difference between the two. Sometimes you think something's better cause its been uprated but that's not always the case

So do u think that if I made the SFS pancake pipe upgrade a little more narrow like compressing it in a vice or something of that nature, just past the point where it doesn't rub on the inner wheel on left full lock.

ArmzFR150

Jan 15, 2014
East Sussex
I bought the lower set from sfs and it rubbed on full lock,

However the main issue was that after 50 miles of driving the driveshaft rubbed completely through the turbo outlet pipe and even touched part of the end of the metal pancake pipe.

Considering my car is completely standard height with 225/45/17 tyres as standard I wasn't overly impressed!

Sfs said they have ha this problem before and think its to do with different driveshaft sizes on different models. Mines a 54 plate FR150.

I've now scrapped that idea and made my own lower pipe setup using the 1.8t pancake setup and various other bits of hose and joiners and no more boost leaks.

I also found seat don't sell all of the clips and seals seperately but got them through TPS after doing some research. If someone wants to know any then drop me a PM

Andrewcupra TDI

Resident Desk Jockey
Apr 30, 2008
in the mountains ( Wales )
I bought the lower set from sfs and it rubbed on full lock,

However the main issue was that after 50 miles of driving the driveshaft rubbed completely through the turbo outlet pipe and even touched part of the end of the metal pancake pipe.

Considering my car is completely standard height with 225/45/17 tyres as standard I wasn't overly impressed!

Sfs said they have ha this problem before and think its to do with different driveshaft sizes on different models. Mines a 54 plate FR150.

I've now scrapped that idea and made my own lower pipe setup using the 1.8t pancake setup and various other bits of hose and joiners and no more boost leaks.

I also found seat don't sell all of the clips and seals seperately but got them through TPS after doing some research. If someone wants to know any then drop me a PM

if you got the part numbers please post as i wouldnt mind changing mine

ArmzFR150

Jan 15, 2014
East Sussex
I'll have a look through the paper work and work out what ones they were. Their not available from seat you have to ring TPS and get them from there as their mostly from a 150pd passat or bora from memory

Paul43

Nov 19, 2011
Nr Kettering
I got my seals " green ones " from " Shop4Volkswagen" the part number is "3C0145117H" they were £3.99 +vat each ........ I got the clips from Stoneacre in Peterborough... seat dealer ...they were £2.00 each ..........Hope this helps

runnerpart2

Runnerpart2
May 23, 2009
Leeds
Hey Guys

Just giving a little update on my run in with my sfs pancake pipe, ive been having problems with mine for a while with the wheel rubbing on the pipe it self and the mechanic that fitted it didn't use all the pieces i gave him so it was basically bodged.

a few days on the motorway my car was blowing out crazy black smoke & lost all turbo pressure so i know it was a massive air leak, so when i got home i decided to fix it myself instead of taking it to a garage as i know what needs to be done. I used a piece of 90 degree aluminium pipe i had left over from an intercooler which i fitted to the pancake pipe, connecting the ally pipe i manipulated the hose ever so slightly then clamped it into place to give the pipe clearance when the wheel is on full lock & enough to miss the spinning belt.

The reason im posting this as i know many people have had a problem with this i have no problem with rubbing on the drive shaft and it feels like a new car.

Sorry for the long winded description but that is only 20% of the hassle ive had with this but i fixed it in the end :D

I am sooo happy with myself as i fixed this problem perfectly and i hope people can get there pancake pipe fixed.

Time to get it on the Rolling Road see if its kicking out more BHP!!!

Last edited:
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.