Strut Brace Drilling holes in Turrets

crawford

Hi Guys. I have just brought a strut brace for my Leon Cupra 02 reg. I have just realised that I need to drill holes in the Turrets to attach the brace to. The thing im not sure about is that under the turrets by the suspension springs where the bolts will come through. How long should the bolts be as I dont want them to catch on the springs or the top mounts.

Cheers

seatturbopower

Aug 1, 2012
birmingham
Ive seen people bolt them upside down if that helps, so the thread part on the bolt sticks up into the engine bay.

yep that's what I did as well not sure on how long the bolts were think they were m10 BUT im not to sure.
Crawford what brace did you get mate?was it the a3?you have to chop out the corner where the bonnet raiser sits. You can only fit 2 bolts, but once its fitted the front end it really tight cornering is much improved as well:)
picture.php

also helps with the car jacked up as well pal with the wheels just sitting off the ground.fit the bolts in tighten up the nut 90% then drop the car and tighten up that last 10% if needed

Last edited:

crawford

That's very much for the replys guys. I never would of thought to mount the bolts upside down. The brace already has one corner cut off to get under the bonnet raiser. Iv drilled 3 holes and will try and use all 3 but might settle for the 2 instead. Thank for the tip regarding jacking up the wheels. I'm not a complete idiot but haven't got much experience when it comes to car mechanics so I like to get a bit of info before I start hacking at the wrong bits. Thanks for all the help.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sl1ced

Oct 10, 2020
Apparently at the moment I’m the king of old threads so I looked into the TT brace but I’m very wary of drilling holes into my turrets. Won’t that weaken them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gokiwi64

Geriatric Member
Apr 26, 2014
Hockley, Essex
No it wont weaken them as long as you drill a clean hole , chamfer the edges and treat with some form of rust prevention. I made up (cut to fit)some really thick washers for the underside of the strut tower (cleaned surface really well and held them in place with some silicon) to act as spreaders. But then I have a heavy gauge adjustable steel brace so went a bit belt and braces.

Rich.T

Feb 15, 2020
Contact BAF Motorsport,
They used to do rivnut sets that work a treat. Its who i used to fit mine.

Rich

Reactions: 300bhpdaily

Sl1ced

Oct 10, 2020
Contact BAF Motorsport,
They used to do rivnut sets that work a treat. Its who i used to fit mine.

Rich

https://www.bafmotorsport.co.uk/products/k-brace-fitting-kit this one?

Rich.T

Feb 15, 2020
Have you bought a strut brace yet?
I got one off an Audi S3 of the same age. As reccomended by Thai wronghorse.
Very happy with it.

Rich

Sl1ced

Oct 10, 2020
Yes I have a mk1 tt one I got for less than a tenner. Even if it’s no good for the car I’ll stick it back on eBay lol

Connor H

Dec 19, 2019
Essex
This is something I want to do with the TT brace, just cut the bits off that aren’t needed. Only thing is I have my intercooler hot pipes to contend with the space a brace would go.
f13d8c1a87736058491ddb83b6a375a3.jpg

Gokiwi64

Geriatric Member
Apr 26, 2014
Hockley, Essex
With that pipe in the way a TT brace wont fit without major modifications , maybe you need a different type ?, the one I have fitted wouldnt clear either by the looks of it.
IMG_20190506_122244.jpg

Connor H

Dec 19, 2019
Essex
Oh ignore the engine bay - doesnt look like that any more !!
looks lovely either way!
And yeah im honestly thinking of redoing the hot side, i knew what i was buying with the "kit" but im not happy about the routing at all. I am totally stubborn with not getting a BAM mani either. Heres some good examples of routing i found
img_9270.jpg
screenshot-2020-09-30-at-11-54-44-png.19623
Screenshot 2020-09-30 at 11.56.21.png

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-09-30 at 11.54.44.png
    Screenshot 2020-09-30 at 11.54.44.png
    1 MB · Views: 234