Which service?

R22 JGB

SEAT Leon FR184 DSG
Aug 29, 2010
Gateshead
My 2011 Leon FR tdi is due for it's 1st MOT and a service. This will be it's second service, it is on flexible services, 1st done at 18k, it is coming upto 3 years old and is 2000 mile away from the display on the dash.
Arnold Clark in Newcastle are unsure if it should be a 2 or 3 year service (£199 or £249)
Which is the correct one?

Feb 6, 2014
Lincoln
Not sure, but I always reckon play it safe and go major service. Especially as it has done nearly 20k since the last service!

Feb 6, 2014
Lincoln
Just had a thought, 3 years is nearing end of warranty isn't it? I would go major and have everything carefully checked over whilst still covered! It is always just out if warranty that problems seem to appear!

betty_swollox

Richie
Feb 15, 2011
Washington
That's fixed time and distance servicing though, this one has been on variable and was last serviced 18k ish ago (!)

Go major now.

How is it variable?

The dealer doesnt even know what it should be, so i'd go off what SEAT say and do a major as its nearly at 40,000 miles.

Feb 6, 2014
Lincoln
How is it variable?

The dealer doesnt even know what it should be, so i'd go off what SEAT say and do a major as its nearly at 40,000 miles.

it is on flexible services, 1st done at 18k, it is coming upto 3 years old and is 2000 mile away from the display on the dash.

Is has been variable servicing thus far, ie it's on "flexible services". Taken it in when the light comes on. The schedule is based on the car having been on 'time and distance' regime.

To follow the schedule he would need to switch to fixed servings annually or every 10k, not when the light comes on.

Last edited:

betty_swollox

Richie
Feb 15, 2011
Washington
Is has been variable servicing thus far, ie it's on "flexible services". Taken it in when the light comes on. The schedule is based on the car having been on 'time and distance' regime.

To follow the schedule he would need to switch to fixed servings annually or every 10k, not when the light comes on.

The light comes on mine when its due a service :shrug: and thats on fixed servicing.

Feb 6, 2014
Lincoln
The light comes on mine when its due a service :shrug: and thats on fixed servicing.

You just have to have the last work don't ya :p (I am joking)

Point still stands, his was not on fixed, the car is telling him when to service, nit the schedule, and would need to have a major now anyway as it has been 18k since the last service!

Last edited:

R22 JGB

SEAT Leon FR184 DSG
Aug 29, 2010
Gateshead
OK gents, Job now done.
When I booked the car in a couple of weeks ago the service guy did not know which service it required. I told him it was on flexible, had it's first service at 18k and was coming up to it's second as shown on the display. No one seemed to be sure if it was a minor at £129 or £199 or a major at £259
When I arrived this morning I spoke to another guy, who said it needed "second long life service", this I was happy with as he seemed to know what he was talking about.
A lot of newer VAG group vehicles do have variable/flexible service intervals, usually around 18k hence the use of longlife 507 oils.
My previous SEAT an Ibiza Sport TDI had fixed servicing at 10K, I argued what was the point of the expensive longlife oil if it was changed every 10K. I was then advised that part way through 2010 build year the Ibizas could go to flexible servicing, unfortunately my car was built 3 weeks before this change so I was stuck with the fixed servicing. My previous VW Passat 2.0 TDi was flexible and was serviced at around 18k, the VW dealers had no problems with this type of service regime, it just appears to cause problems with the SEAT dealer.
Interestingly the service booklet is stamped showing the car had it's 2nd service today and the next service is due at 57500 miles or 9/5/16 which as far as I'm concerned is correct. The folder containing the docs shows next service at 45500 or 9/5/15!!!
Now I have just paid good money to a SEAT main dealer, why can't they get their documentation correct? or am I just being a bit naieve (sp)?

BlackCupraa

2.0 BOOST
Sep 18, 2004
Chesterfield
Honest question, why not service it every 10k? 20K between services is in my eyes horrific.

To answer your last point, it may well be because they didn't originally know what service to offer you for the 2nd service (I'd have gone major service) they probably didn't know when it next needed servicing so couldn't update the booklet correctly either.

jmc1976

Jan 8, 2013
wakefield, west yorks
I would say the 3 year service , mine is on the same service schedule and i have just had my 1st service done in feb my dealer told me it would need the two year service doing which was fine because the free seat assist breakdown cover that comes with it suited me . I would defiantly go for the 3 year service if i was you .

Just noticed your post saying it was already done lol

Last edited:
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.