Do I need the VVT?

Hi guys, need some advice a fully forged engine I bought, doesn't have VVT (out of an Ibiza) will it matter when I fit the engine in my LCR, can it be mapped out? or do I bite the bullet and buy ther VVT tensioner kit and retrofit it? Will it harm performance without VVT? The engine produced 350bhp before I bought it, on a GT28RS setup.

Any help would be great as I would rather put the money towards a BBT bad boy K04 and tubular manifold

Mar 7, 2011
Plymouth
I have never heard of retrofitting variable valve timing onto or off of any car.

It would definitely be worth having as you gain the benefits of delayed ignition at high RPM which is where the power comes from.

Can you provide a link to the kit? Sounds interesting.

Mar 7, 2011
Plymouth
I am not certain but I am fairly sure that is just responsible for keeping the correct tension in the chain to make sure it doesn't come off the sprockets. I do not think that does anything to the valve timing.

Pommeh

Dec 5, 2012
It a different tensioner depending on whether you have vvt or not. All the vvt does is warm the cat up quicker and assist in cold start ups, it's not really tuneable on a turbo car as it is on an n/a. You can leave it off, you don't need it if that's what you are asking. I kept mine when I switched to an age engine though, I think most people do.

It a different tensioner depending on whether you have vvt or not. All the vvt does is warm the cat up quicker and assist in cold start ups, it's not really tuneable on a turbo car as it is on an n/a. You can leave it off, you don't need it if that's what you are asking. I kept mine when I switched to an age engine though, I think most people do.

Might just take the one out of my AMK, when I swap it over, but if it makes no real difference i'll just get it mapped out, in two minds really, the money could be better spent towards the turbo/manifold fund

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.