Correct Thule roof bars for Freetrack/XL?

milesyboy1

Jun 29, 2006
St.Helens
Can anyone help me identify what the correct Thule roof bar parts are for the Freetrack /XL are please? Preferably if you have them yourself so I know they definitely fit the vehicle correctly. Also if anyone has these and are using cycle carriers on them are they any good? Baffled by all the different combination of parts at the minute. :0)
Thanks, Miles

Ps on the off chance anyone is selling some feel free to drop me a pm.

Last edited:

bobbycfc

Jun 6, 2007
Motherwell
Here you go
http://www.roofrackshop.co.uk/Vehic...-Roofrailings-2007-On/0003092mod722man64.aspx

I have a full set for my Altea XL however I have now sold the car and have a Hyundai ix35.
I used the Rapid Rail Fitting kit, the feet and the aero bars and then put 4 bike carriers on it. Worked a treat although you need to perfect a technique for getting the bikes up onto the roof, especially the middle two!

If its of any interest I will probably be selling the Rapid Rail part of my kit as I have ordered a new part to fir my Hyundai. The beauty of these is that I can use the rest of the kit on my new car.

milesyboy1

Jun 29, 2006
St.Helens
Cheers for the info. Is there any noise from the bars when on? Also what bike carrier do you have to go with the bars? How much are you looking for the rapid rail? Thanks, Miles

Last edited:

bobbycfc

Jun 6, 2007
Motherwell
Hi there, I can't remember there being a great noise from the car with the roof bars on however I have the aero bars which are claimed to be more aerodynamic etc. The Altea wasn't a particularly quiet car anyway.

The biggest difference I noticed was when you have the bikes on your fuel consumption is absolutely hammered - I could go from 43mpg to about 32mpg just by putting the bikes on the roof. Obviously more of an issue when travelling at speed as opposed to around town.

I didn't tend to leave the roof rack on when I wasn't using the bikes - I had mastered a technique with my son where the roof rack could be lifted on and put into place in a matter of minutes.

Re cycle carriers, again I used Thule because I got an offer when I bought the four with the bars so they are good, solid and can be locked. However I think any decent cycle carrier would suffice as all they are doing is clamping over a horizontal bar.

Re the cost, I will let you know once I have got the replacement part in to fit my Hyundai because until I take the fitting apart I don't want to say for definite that its all there. It should be , there is no reason why it shouldn't but just want to wait till I have stripped it down.

Cheers

bobbycfc

Jun 6, 2007
Motherwell
OK , slight hiccup with this - I bought the replacement feet to fit the system to my Hyundai but it turns out that the replacement feet don't fit with my system of bars and clamps as it is obsolete!

So my choices now are
a. Try and mix and match till I get a combination of existing and new to work
b. Just sell the complete lot as a whole package ready for the Altea XL
c. and here is the tricky bit - either the clamp for the XL could be modified slightly to fit the Hyundai, or I could drill an extra hole in the roofrail of the Hyundai to take the Altea clamp!

Decisions...

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.