Car just cut out, battery light came on, wont restart, halp!

Don Eason

Feb 19, 2010
Heya guy's.

As the subject says i just started my car at work and started to reverse, all of a sudden it just cut out almost as if i stalled it, now the battery light doesnt turn off and the car wont fire up, any ideas???

the engine is turning so the battery is not dead???

plz help =P

20vt leon cupra btw.

Pyro

Alternator could be shot? Or soil box? Check that the plugs are sparking mate and get a voltmeter on the coil box

NottsLCR

May 14, 2008
Nottingham
I had this recently and my FPR was shot so the engine had to much fuel to start. Might not be this but just another idea and something to check.

Dalicin

Did you get any warning signs before it died?? Alternator sometimes brings up engine managment light a week or so before the final death cos it measures a voltage drop in the battery charging?

Don Eason

Feb 19, 2010
sorry for the late reply guys, yesterday was a bit hectic.

OK, so i called the RAC out and they checked the coil packs and also put a light on the injectors? and said that they were working ok. then he said that no fuel was getting to the engine.

He said he thinks its either a faulty relay or the fuel pump (he checked the fuese and could only pull a relay out *number 33?*)and said that seemed to be ok but he said that was the best he could do at the road side so he towed me to my local garage and said they would probably have to have the dash out to check it....

At the garage (just about to close because of half day on saturdays..) they took off one of the fuel hoses and started the engine with his finger on the hose and said that no fuel was coming out..

They now can't even look at it untill tuesday, but this has now left me with a lot of time to worry that its going to cost me a fortune to repair?

anyone ever had a similar problem? there was no warning signs at all, car drove like normal on the way to work and started fine before it died 2-5 seconds later.. when it cut out it didnt shudder to a stop or anything it was just as if i stalled the engine..

Car has done 77k miles and has a full service history so cant see this being the pump? and the battery light suddenly staying on even when you turn the key has me a bit worried, like why would it do that all of a sudden just because no fuel is getting to the engine? could that just be because the relay is bad?

Last edited:

coltxcj

I registered to this site as my car done the exact same thing, I just wondered what you did to fix it?
mines been of the road for months now
thanks..

coltxcj

it was at a garage for a few months.. said theres no reason for it not to start..

compression/belt etc everything was good

:(

Don Eason

Feb 19, 2010
Been racking my brain trying to remember.. it was something really simple thats probably why i cant remember, I think it was the relay but im not 100 percent certain :( will have a look later to see if i still have the reciept from the garage.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.