J@mes' LCR OEM+ Rear ARB Fitted :)

J@mes W

Stage 1 Revo'd LCR
Jun 28, 2009
Colchester
I now have a Neuspeed 25mm front ARB being delivered next week, this has been bought to compliment my*Neuspeed 25mm rear ARB. :) Both of which will need to be fitted. Although i'm toying with the idea of fitting the rear ARB this weekend.

The MOT runs out at the end of the month, hopefully nothing will be flagged, i see no reason why it should, it lives a privileged life.

At the end of the month I will be buying a new N75 valve and some new height adjusters for my front Weitec coilovers (one side has rounded off)... i finally got a reply from Weitec and i was shocked to find out replacement adjusters are £30 each!!!!! WTF... considering they are made of plastic i'd say that's day light robbery. Still, the suspension needs to come up so its only option.

Really looking forward to getting the suspension sorted.. the plan is to fit the new adjusters and raise the car 15-20mm and then have the ARB's fitted and the alignment done.*

The ride quality is really starting to annoy me now, i'm really hoping raising it will take the edge off the harshness and reduce the " coilover bounce" over rough roads.

Regarding the clutch... i'm not even sure if it is slipping, i suspect the N75 pulsing is possibly responsible for the strange flarring i get in 3rd and 4th... only once i got a new one fitted will i really know for sure. That will certainly cheer me up if its the N75... £45 v £1000 is a big difference. lol*

D.K

LCR 225
Oct 24, 2007
se london
Give yourself plenty of time fitting the RARB, It's looks simple but the brackets can be a pig to get on.

Pommeh

Dec 5, 2012
If you wanted the arbs to compliment each other why did you buy the same size?

Pommeh

Dec 5, 2012
I misread, apologies. 23mm and 28mm is theoretically the best approach for tarmac at manufacturers tyre psi and poly bushes all round.

SJB

Lovely car. Quick question on your spacers. Did you go 15mm each side at the rear and 12.5mm each side at the front? Do you get any rubbing at all?

Thanks,

Sean..

J@mes W

Stage 1 Revo'd LCR
Jun 28, 2009
Colchester
@ Pommeh.... It does compliment the front ;) They are sold as a set after all. :)

Just to clarify you did read it right, it's 25mm front & rear. I had initially planned to buy a 23mm front ARB but this one came up so cheap i couldn't not buy it, unfortunately front ARB's don't often come up for sale second hand, probably because they are such a pain to get off and on. This one was basically half the price of a new 23mm R32 ARB.

I know of a few people using 25mm front and rear and they are more than happy with it. It was always between a 23mm and 25mm front ARB, it just so happened i got a cracking deal on a 25mm ARB.

Plus the rear is adjustable so i can always shift the balance by stiffening the rear. At the end of the day unless you have tried every possible set up configuration and tested it extensively it's nothing more than guess work IMO, educated guess work though. :)

@ DK... Yeah i'll be sure to give my self plenty of time. Or i'll just bring it round yours lol :)

@ Ongoing... Thank you buddy, its getting there slow but surely.

@ SJB.... Yes it's 15mm each side at the rear and 12mm each side at the front. Never had any rubbing what so ever. Both front and rear tuck under the aches nicely.. any wider and you would start to risk rubbing, depending on how long you go of course.

Last edited:

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
@ Pommeh.... It does compliment the front ;) They are sold as a set after all. :)

Just to clarify you did read it right, it's 25mm front & rear. I had initially planned to buy a 23mm front ARB but this one came up so cheap i couldn't not buy it, unfortunately front ARB's don't often come up for sale second hand, probably because they are such a pain to get off and on. This one was basically half the price of a new 23mm R32 ARB.

I know of a few people using 25mm front and rear and they are more than happy with it. It was always between a 23mm and 25mm front ARB, it just so happened i got a cracking deal on a 25mm ARB.

Plus the rear is adjustable so i can always shift the balance by stiffening the rear. At the end of the day unless you have tried every possible set up configuration and tested it extensively it's nothing more than guess work IMO, educated guess work though. :)

@ DK... Yeah i'll be sure to give my self plenty of time. Or i'll just bring it round yours lol :)

@ Ongoing... Thank you buddy, its getting there slow but surely.

@ SJB.... Yes it's 15mm each side at the rear and 12mm each side at the front. Never had any rubbing what so ever. Both front and rear tuck under the aches nicely.. any wider and you would start to risk rubbing, depending on how long you go of course.
Nothing wrong with a 25mm front and 25mm rear setup James. I can assure you it works and take comfort in the fact that both neuspeed, kw and eibach offer 25mm kits front and back. When you fit it go for a thrash and see what happens to the car on the limits with understeer or oversteer. You can change the alignment once you know whats happening to counter it or even fit spacers on the rear wheels to effect that balance to. I had to do this when I was modding the deisel to get the handling right.

Dont be tempted to always go stiff as that is not always the best way to get the best handling! :)

Pommeh

Dec 5, 2012

They are sold as a set; the only company that ever tested their ARBs for the perfect balance is H&R though. Just because it's a set doesn't mean it works :p

As you said though, your rear is adjustable so i'm sure you'll be fine.

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
They are sold as a set; the only company that ever tested their ARBs for the perfect balance is H&R though. Just because it's a set doesn't mean it works :p

As you said though, your rear is adjustable so i'm sure you'll be fine.
H&R set is 25/25mm I believe? Apart from stiffness differences between the products they will behave very similar. I am pretty sure all manufacturers test the products - it would be so stupid if they didnt they i refuse to believe that only H&R do it.

Pommeh

Dec 5, 2012
H&R set is 25/25mm I believe? Apart from stiffness differences between the products they will behave very similar. I am pretty sure all manufacturers test the products - it would be so stupid if they didnt they i refuse to believe that only H&R do it.

H&Rs set maintains a slight understeer, but yes you are correct.

You really believe that all manufacturers test their products? they wouldn't make any money if they had to test things like ARBs. It is just geometry guess work.

It would cost £1000s to hire track drivers to test these products and produce results on them. Much the same as any component within a car, the vast majority of aftermarket products are not tested to anywhere near the same standard that an OEM would test to, how many products do companies like KW make for such a vast array of vehicles? you believe they have time to test everything on every single model? ofcourse not. Much the same as engine mounts from Powerflex are not tested for each specific vehicle, they probably do some form of mild component testing and then transfer the results across to other vehicles.

SJB

Thanks mate, much appreciated! :)

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
H&Rs set maintains a slight understeer, but yes you are correct.

You really believe that all manufacturers test their products? they wouldn't make any money if they had to test things like ARBs. It is just geometry guess work.

It would cost £1000s to hire track drivers to test these products and produce results on them. Much the same as any component within a car, the vast majority of aftermarket products are not tested to anywhere near the same standard that an OEM would test to, how many products do companies like KW make for such a vast array of vehicles? you believe they have time to test everything on every single model? ofcourse not. Much the same as engine mounts from Powerflex are not tested for each specific vehicle, they probably do some form of mild component testing and then transfer the results across to other vehicles.
When it comes to handling products, yes I do actually. You ever heard of field testing? I am glad you mentioned PowerFlex because I know for a fact that they send trial products to their partners who test ALL of their products. They collate the feedback and go from there as do Superpro as I was one of them!

As for suspension products, again they send out their products to their partners for testing. Of course from their experience where geometry and chassis are based of same platforms they might not do things to the same degree however they do test them.

I'd also like to point out that Eibach, H&R and KW are not exactly small companies? They been around for a long time and pride themselves on quality and performance. I doubt they would risk their reputation just sending products out there.

Last edited:

vroomtshh

Sep 11, 2005
Dreghorn, Scotland
I seen you mentioning some clutch prices above, and your prices are way way out. It might help you make your decision, but an LUK clutch kit (same as original) with flywheel, friction, cover plate and release bearing was £365 from Euro car parts (took some haggling)

I've fitted that along with a Sachs paddle plate at £250 and that setup is currently holding 500Bhp on other cars, and is more than adequate on mine so would be plenty for you.

J@mes W

Stage 1 Revo'd LCR
Jun 28, 2009
Colchester
I seen you mentioning some clutch prices above, and your prices are way way out. It might help you make your decision, but an LUK clutch kit (same as original) with flywheel, friction, cover plate and release bearing was £365 from Euro car parts (took some haggling)

I've fitted that along with a Sachs paddle plate at £250 and that setup is currently holding 500Bhp on other cars, and is more than adequate on mine so would be plenty for you.

Sorry for the slow reply, havent been on here for a while, the prices i quoted were for an uprated set up, that sounds like a great set up you have there. Certainly some food for thought, will give it some serious consideration when i get around to buying a new set up. Appreciate the feedback. :thumbup:

SMALL UPDATE:

The rear ARB has now been fitted, it was pretty tricky to get it on and i very nearly gave up, but i managed to get it on in the end. :D

After the little one got me up at silly o'clock on Monday morning i got her back to sleep and decided it was the perfect excuse to get up and out early and give the car a proper test drive on some of my favorite local B-roads.

First impressions are excellent, it seems much more planted with reduced body roll and keener to change direction which ultimately gives you more confidence to carry more speed into the corners and get on the power earlier.

It has really tied all the other suspension upgrades together, the front end was always planted and keen to turn it but the back now follows suit with no pause in response, if you really throw it in a corner the rear then comes into play which then allows you to adjust / balance the car on the throttle which is how i like it. From previously owning RWD cars i have always preferred to manage over-steer than under-steer, although saying this i will certainly be very wary of it in the wet until i know how it performs in slippery conditions.

Currently it is set on the middle setting (i think, need to check.. EL please confirm, it's same set up as your's?), once the front ARB is fitted i will see how this effects the balance and adjust it to suit if required.

Here's a few shots i fired off on my early morning drive.

JGW_8276 by J@mes Williams Photography, on Flickr

JGW_8277 by J@mes Williams Photography, on Flickr

JGW_8278 by J@mes Williams Photography, on Flickr

JGW_8280 by J@mes Williams Photography, on Flickr

In short i couldn't be happier with how it has improved the handling dynamics, it feels like a new car. :)

Next step is to book it into AmD to have the front ARB fitted and have a 4WA. This after i have fitted a replacement spring perch on the front right coil-over and raised the suspension 15-20 mm all round.

I'm off to GoodWood Festival of Speed at the end of the month so i want it all sorted by then, last years drive up there was awesome as we found our selves in a convoy with a interesting selection of car, all of which were "making good progress". ;)

Also this package arrived today, in preparing of Bromley Pageant i treated my self / the car to a few detailing goodies. Will probably take the Friday off before so i have Friday and Saturday to work on the car. Realistically it's the only show i'm doing this year so i may as well go all out. ;)

DSC_0548 by J@mes Williams Photography, on Flickr

Detailing Goodies by J@mes Williams Photography, on Flickr

The love for the car is in full effect at the moment, i seem to be constantly day dreaming about future purchases and trips to various places, may this long continue.

Thanks for reading, more updates to come soon :)

Last edited:

J@mes W

Stage 1 Revo'd LCR
Jun 28, 2009
Colchester
Nothing wrong with a 25mm front and 25mm rear setup James. I can assure you it works and take comfort in the fact that both neuspeed, kw and eibach offer 25mm kits front and back. When you fit it go for a thrash and see what happens to the car on the limits with understeer or oversteer. You can change the alignment once you know whats happening to counter it or even fit spacers on the rear wheels to effect that balance to. I had to do this when I was modding the deisel to get the handling right.

Dont be tempted to always go stiff as that is not always the best way to get the best handling! :)

Thanks for your input maz, im confident it will work well. Looking forward to getting the front arb fitted. Interested to see how it feels. :)

Also i'd like to pick your brains about machine polishing at some point ;)

Last edited:

Joell

Oct 21, 2013
Just read this whole RR start to finish, lovely car you've got there mate! Put some wind in my sails to get mine sorted out now!