Torque Wrench Clicks????

angel_23

Sep 20, 2011
Swansea
Hi Everyone,

We've bought Torque Wrenches and just need to know how many clicks should you take them to for the wheel nuts (120nm)? Does anyone know if you should stop at the first click or continue until it won't click anymore?

Done the 300nm then slackened 1 turn off the floor, then 50nm + 1/4 turn on the floor on the wheel bearing nuts, but one of them wouldn't do the 1/4 turn, does that matter? Took the car round the block about 250 yards, 3 discs ok but one on the rear which wouldn't do the 1/4 turn got red hot again, anyone know why? Brand new brake calipers front and rear, put foot on the brake before bleeding them to tighten centre nut, about 3 weeks ago. Had the brakes bled today. Could it be the the handbrake cable sticking on or the pistons in the calipers stayed out and need winding back in? Got the Torque settings from Seat Dealers as there is no Haynes Manual for the car.

Seat Leon FR, 1.8 20v turbo, 2005, Mk1, Petrol, Black Magic.

Thanks,
Angel.

leon cupra r

Back in an LCR!
Nov 10, 2009
Barnsley
You set the torque on the wrench then it clicks to let you know when you've reached the indicated torque level. I'm sure I read somewhere that you shouldn't keep applying force after it clicks as it can end up damaging the wrench... As for the issue with your brakes, I'm not sure unfortunately, but to clear stuff up for anyone reading, you're referring to the hub nut by the sounds of it!

jopo001

May 21, 2014
you set the wrench then when it gets to the specified torque it will click, so you stop. you can keep applying pressure as nothing will stop you but it will damage the spring and wreck the calibration of the wrench

angel_23

Sep 20, 2011
Swansea
You set the torque on the wrench then it clicks to let you know when you've reached the indicated torque level. I'm sure I read somewhere that you shouldn't keep applying force after it clicks as it can end up damaging the wrench... As for the issue with your brakes, I'm not sure unfortunately, but to clear stuff up for anyone reading, you're referring to the hub nut by the sounds of it!

Sorry yeah it is the hub nut, just that it was being tightened after changing the bearings. My mistake.

Angel

angel_23

Sep 20, 2011
Swansea
All sorted now. Hubby loosened the nut on the caliper 3/4 turn spun the wheel, spun perfect, tightened it back up 1/2 turn and it is now driving perfect with no heating up of the disc. Still going to change the cable though. Tightened the wheel nuts to one click on the torque wrench. Finally all sorted, got our car back :D

Thanks for the help guys. :thumbup:

Angel

rover220

Jun 1, 2014
stafford
All sorted now. Hubby loosened the nut on the caliper 3/4 turn spun the wheel, spun perfect, tightened it back up 1/2 turn and it is now driving perfect with no heating up of the disc. Still going to change the cable though. Tightened the wheel nuts to one click on the torque wrench. Finally all sorted, got our car back :D

Thanks for the help guys. :thumbup:

Angel

the torque wrench should only ever click once if its being used correctly.

bradh

May 30, 2014
redditch
on wheels i like to do them up to one click then ill double check them at the end with another click just for piece of mind

Barkers

If the torque wrench clicks and you continue to apply force then you are bypassing the torque you have aimed to achieve making the torque wrench pretty much pointless. The idea of achieving a set torque or tightness is to ensure maximum clamping of components without premature wear or fatigue of fasteners. Over righting wheel nuts can cause brake discs to warp in extreme causes. An over tight hub nut will decrease the bearings life expectancy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk