LCR steering wheel refurbishment.

drty--den

Dec 29, 2005
Hey, after seeing how much wheels and gear knobs go for I've decided to have a crack at refurbishing the ones I have. I've bought a kit from The Leather Repair Co (Can't post a link due to less than 15 posts o_O) and best case scenario, it comes out good, I'd love to replace the R badge at the bottom of the wheel (225). Does anybody know if it's available and possibly a part number. I've read on here there was no such luck but the threads ancient, so was hoping for some fresh fortune? Cheers :)

jay87

May 4, 2007
id love to see some pictures after you have refurbed it, only issue i come across was the red stitching? is it the spray on kit?

and yes the badges are on ebay, can't seem to find them at the moment, but they come up for about £3, think there a sticker to overlay

jay87

May 4, 2007
I've seen the guide with the boot polish, I tried it didn't really befit the car, or I just done it wrong made it like cheap and the polish kept coming off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

drty--den

Dec 29, 2005
Yeah will try an post some kind of thread/guide with pics as I go along. The red stitching looks an issue, but I'm gonna try and apply the dye then maybe use a cotton bud an a bit of thinners and try and bring the red stitch back through. Jay87, it's a sponge on dye but the video on YouTube (search "leather repair company steering wheel) shows him applying his top coat before the lacquer with an airbrush, so it's possible doing it that way. The kit comes with tilters to adjust the shade of black, but I'm hoping I can use the red tint direct onto the red band on the top of the wheel... I dunno, kit should be with me Tue, sometimes you gotta learn by doing ha!

jay87

May 4, 2007
I saw a step by step I guy on one of the golf forums done on a mk4 r32 wheel, the outcome was near perfect, beautiful finish, semi Matt, through furniture clinic, this was sponge plus spray system. He however didn't have the issue of red stitching, but, I could live without the red stitching if the finish comes out as his did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.