Cupra Rattle - noise generator...

mds1256

Facelift Leon Cupra
Jan 7, 2007
Recently had an annoying rattle / vibration when revs are fairly high up the range on my FL Cupra so today I decided to investigate.....

It was coming from the passenger side somewhere so had the glove box out and had a friend in with me for them to listen and the rattle was there but not anywhere behind the glove box......

So had a look under the bonnet, nothing was loose and plastic trims seem fine, next I took the bulkhead part out to see if anything was rattling under the windscreen and there were a few leafs there so cleaned them out and went back out.... Rattle still there.

So then whilst looking under the windscreen again I see the noise generator (Soundakator??), so I disconnects this and takes it out for another drive.... Viola! no more rattle.

So I think i have a faulty Soundakator, however to be honest I like it disconnected, yes it does sound better when it is connected but I have always found that the road noise in the Leon a little too loud sometimes, but it seems all this time it was the noise generator making all that noise, so I might look into replacing it for a new one so need to get a price (if anyone knows the price let me know :p) and I may fit a switch so that I can turn it on and off when I like.

Any one else thought it is much better without the noise generator?

betty_swollox

Richie
Feb 15, 2011
Washington
The fake engine noise generator that VW/Audi/BMW/SEAT, etc fit to their newer cars.

What ever happened to building great engines and exhausts to produce the engine note :cry:

I can't really hear mine that much in the drivers seat tbf

Louder in the passenger seat but me exhaust overpowers it now lol

mds1256

Facelift Leon Cupra
Jan 7, 2007
I can't really hear mine that much in the drivers seat tbf

Once removed you can really tell from the drivers seat, I was amazed at how loud that thing is, remove it and you will be able to hear your exhaust note better lol

betty_swollox

Richie
Feb 15, 2011
Washington
Once removed you can really tell from the drivers seat, I was amazed at how loud that thing is, remove it and you will be able to hear your exhaust note better lol

Does it really make that much of a difference lol?!?

Is it a pain to take out?

Last edited:

mds1256

Facelift Leon Cupra
Jan 7, 2007
Does it really make that much of a difference lol?!?

Is it a pain to take out?

Massive difference!

A little bit of a pain, I had to remove the metal bulkhead / firewall to get my hand in to disconnect the wire (haven't actually removed the part), the metal bulkhead only has two screws at each end and I can pull it out enough to get my hand in to unclip the plug on the sound generator.

On the sound generator the plug has a grey clip on the bottom of it, I needed to pull this back (towards the cable itself) and then the plug then pulls off.

Took me 5 minutes to disconnect it.

betty_swollox

Richie
Feb 15, 2011
Washington
Massive difference!

A little bit of a pain, I had to remove the metal bulkhead / firewall to get my hand in to disconnect the wire (haven't actually removed the part), the metal bulkhead only has two screws at each end and I can pull it out enough to get my hand in to unclip the plug on the sound generator.

On the sound generator the plug has a grey clip on the bottom of it, I needed to pull this back (towards the cable itself) and then the plug then pulls off.

Took me 5 minutes to disconnect it.

So is it actually quieter now? Or does it sound less fake??

Sounds too complicated for me lol :p

mds1256

Facelift Leon Cupra
Jan 7, 2007
So is it actually quieter now? Or does it sound less fake??

Sounds too complicated for me lol :p

Yeah much quieter, its quite deceiving to be honest, the engine is fairly quiet but when you have your foot down and look at the mph you don't realise that you are going that fast.

Its easy, i am no mechanic lol

betty_swollox

Richie
Feb 15, 2011
Washington
Yeah much quieter, its quite deceiving to be honest, the engine is fairly quiet but when you have your foot down and look at the mph you don't realise that you are going that fast.

Its easy, i am no mechanic lol

Hmmmmm I'm scared in case it makes me car too quiet!!!!

EDIT

Your car standard or what?

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2013
Washington Tyne&Wear
Recently had an annoying rattle / vibration when revs are fairly high up the range on my FL Cupra so today I decided to investigate.....

It was coming from the passenger side somewhere so had the glove box out and had a friend in with me for them to listen and the rattle was there but not anywhere behind the glove box......

So had a look under the bonnet, nothing was loose and plastic trims seem fine, next I took the bulkhead part out to see if anything was rattling under the windscreen and there were a few leafs there so cleaned them out and went back out.... Rattle still there.

So then whilst looking under the windscreen again I see the noise generator (Soundakator??), so I disconnects this and takes it out for another drive.... Viola! no more rattle.

So I think i have a faulty Soundakator, however to be honest I like it disconnected, yes it does sound better when it is connected but I have always found that the road noise in the Leon a little too loud sometimes, but it seems all this time it was the noise generator making all that noise, so I might look into replacing it for a new one so need to get a price (if anyone knows the price let me know :p) and I may fit a switch so that I can turn it on and off when I like.

Any one else thought it is much better without the noise generator?

mate.. a couple months ago I made this thread up..regarding the exact same thing LOL
I even took it to the dealership and they found nothing!
so I seen some one did this as to me do not want any fake engine sounds :D so removed it and presto the vibration sound had vanished!!
just took this out couple days ago.... killed 2 birds with 1 stone

rossco775

Mar 16, 2012
The noise you describe is almost identical to what i am getting on my FR170 CR. But does the diesel have a sound actuatory thingy?? Would never have thought anybody would want a noisier diesel if it does have one.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members