630+ miles to a tank - LCR

andycupra

status subject to change
On my car one is instantaneous - i.e. wildly changes if you put your foot down and goes to infinity if you coast in gear.

The other as I said is not over the tankful, it is for the journey and resets after two hours of non driving, so when you start the car it is around 16mpg and climbs to a higher number the more you drive - in my case here 44.7.
Sounds like you are not aware of all of the trip computers features. Have you tried the second 'mode' which gives longer term data. Take a look at the stalk as you may not be aware of all the buttons?

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
As Andy says, the range figure on the trip computer is an estimate, based on the last 50kM of the journey. It is often optimistic, it depends on the accuracy of the tank level gauge, which is never very good. The trip computer is estimating how much fuel you have left based on the fuel gauge sender.

You can only claim a real range if you've actually driven it, start to finish, on one tank of fuel.

Have a look at your manual for a description of the various readings you can get from the trip computer, and how to see them all. There are two sets of registers: one gets reset after a stop of a couple of hours, the other carries on accumulating trip info until manually reset. The button on the bottom of the stalk switches between the two with a short press. If you hold that button in, it resets whichever register set is being displayed. The short-term set, that resets automatically, is set 1, the long-term set is set 2. There's a little 1 or 2 displayed on the right hand side of the MFD to tell you which is being displayed.

The MFD displays the following parameters
  • Outside temperature
  • Time of day
  • Driving time
  • Average speed
  • Distance covered
  • Range (based on last 50km driving)
  • Average fuel consumption (over distance since last reset: updated every 5 seconds)
  • Current consumption (renewed every 2 seconds)

Cycle through by using the rocker switch on the end of the stalk.

The average consumption is measured over the distance since the last reset i.e. the distance in the "distance covered" display and updated every 5 seconds i.e. the trip computer takes another reading of the instantaneous consumption, checks the distance covered since last update and recalculates.

Range is based on the average consumption over the last 50 miles, divided into what the trip computer thinks is left in the tank. The tank gauge is the weak link.

DOLBY

Jun 24, 2006
North of London
www.facebook.com
I agree mate. I do short journeys ATM and I still rag it when I want and for the past 2 years have regularly seen 350 on the clock. This is accurate too as I always fill to the brim and run it Dow to the light every 2 weeks.

Done a run to Wales before and saw 470 and tbh I was t trying to be economical. Whack it in 6th and sit at speed limit and this car becomes everything to all men.

If you avoid braking, roll downhill, use engine braking and use road awareness ie making a monoevure on a motorway before someone blocks you in etc etc. then easily well over 500 to the tank.

Sent from my iPhone when I should be working....

6th.replicant

May 29, 2008
London
I agree mate. I do short journeys ATM and I still rag it when I want and for the past 2 years have regularly seen 350 on the clock. This is accurate too as I always fill to the brim and run it Dow to the light every 2 weeks.

Done a run to Wales before and saw 470 and tbh I was t trying to be economical. Whack it in 6th and sit at speed limit and this car becomes everything to all men.

If you avoid braking, roll downhill, use engine braking and use road awareness ie making a monoevure on a motorway before someone blocks you in etc etc. then easily well over 500 to the tank.

Out of interest, do you generally use the same brand/type of fuel, and if so, which one?

And how may miles has your LCR done?

Ta :)

Last edited:

DOLBY

Jun 24, 2006
North of London
www.facebook.com
I used to use v power but regularly use tesco momentum now. 47000 miles.

I gotta stress that I don't always drive like this. Infact on a motorway is a good opportunity to open the taps.....but at the time I had the gf in the car so HAD to drive slow. Was pleasantly suprised tbh.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?nkeyno

6th.replicant

May 29, 2008
London
I used to use v power but regularly use tesco momentum now. 47000 miles.

I gotta stress that I don't always drive like this. Infact on a motorway is a good opportunity to open the taps.....but at the time I had the gf in the car so HAD to drive slow. Was pleasantly suprised tbh.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?nkeyno
Hmm, 47k and regular use of V-Power would suggest that your injectors are also still nice 'n' clean - and, in turn, when/if your driving-style is appropriate for 'eco mode', your LCR achieves approx 40mpg.

When my LCR was at approx 47k, it too was capable of 40mpg; not currently, though (70k). And the fuel-type used over the years has been random.

Seems that a recurring theme is emerging...

RDS1972

Dec 19, 2011
Essex
@ 6th.replicant, I recently changed my MAF after cleaning it failed to improve running, and guess what, fuel consumption has dropped markedly. I'm still figuring out exactly how much, but I was getting 100 miles from brimmed to the 3/4 full mark, and now I'm on 125 and counting. Same roads, same use. Looks like £60 well spent so far :)

speedinsaxo

Jun 7, 2003
Visit site
I will crack 50 one day :)

49mpg.jpg

Dec 29, 2010
Mids
My LCR is a 05 plate with 80,000 with seat dealer service history the day I brought it, it was totally standard nothing had been altered from factory std 225 not even a air filter upgrade or recirc valve.... So this should run at its best doesn't everyone agree....
So I travelled 406 miles 6hours 50odd minutes non stop no heavy traffic apart from Glasgow which was 5-10 minutes stop start so not excessive in a long run.....I filled it up before I started out and I didn't rag it at all due to the distance of the run and not knowing the car as brought it blind off eBay thinking if it was a nail I would break it.. So to work things out the journey was 406 @ a steady 65-80 at some points, my trip computer showed around 47.9mpg the fuel left at the end of the journey said 60 miles left in the tank..... I'd of expected 450 max I reckon.... Now as a daily driver 200/300 miles per week it canes £65 which is 3/4 of a tank...
No way would it of done over 500 miles thats just crap to be honest for a 1.8t I feel it drinks the gogo juice even to the extent my subaru sti running a gt35 turbo @ 460hp used to cost the same to run on the same driving styles you sure your not pressing the reset half way through a journey

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Allan156

Feb 2, 2014
I get 36-38 mpg on my commute but my LC hasn't got a fuel computer, though I have driven a few cars that have they don't seem particularly accurate.

Bouncerbeater

Old enough to know better
Mar 15, 2013
Gloucestershire
In fairness, anyone can go out and get their trip mpg to read that after a medium run if they are trying to.
In the real world of course things are slightly different. I'm struggling to get my head around going Revo stage 2 etc and then obsessing over mpg.

Rickycupra

Dec 31, 2012
Yeovil
My LCR nearly always returns around the mid 30's and very rarely drops in to the 20's unless stuck in some real bad traffic.
I'm very surprised to see 50mpg being made as pictured above, but i'm more than happy what I'm getting.

seatturbopower

Aug 1, 2012
birmingham
to a tank I got roughly about 320-350 miles.tbh if your driving around trying to get 50mpg then you wanna scrap the car and get a derv shed box. Your not going to buy a turbo car expecting good mpg I mean seriously???:confused:
and if you did get 50mpg on a lcr then that must be one crap boring radio 4 drive:rofl:
been there done it 60/70 mph its not good.i did bham/west of Ireland,and nurburing/bham

potter88

Jan 1, 2011
Norwich
Finally cracked 50 on the way back from work the other day:

IMAG1774.jpg

I find it hard to believe are you sure it's not on other trip the one for the immediate throttle response? I've driven to my work like a pansy before to see what best could do and on a 40 mile trip I got 36mpg average and like I say that was being an absolute saint driving it

Barrows2005

I find it hard to believe are you sure it's not on other trip the one for the immediate throttle response? I've driven to my work like a pansy before to see what best could do and on a 40 mile trip I got 36mpg average and like I say that was being an absolute saint driving it

You can see its the average and not instant in the pic, however i can go stop at the top of a hill reset the average and coast down hill and have an average of 250mpg, my real all time average so far on my newest fr is 27.2mpg not amazing but better than my old stage 2 cupra r however that was alot faster and was used harder :) on a private road ;) my lcr hit 150 where my fr only hits 120 how accurate that was i will never know!

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.