Cupra Centre Silencer Removal Help

MjrSharpe

Astra VXR
Jun 18, 2012
Northern Ireland
Hi all, I would really love my cupra to 'pop' on a full throttle up shift and I've read that this can be achieved by removing the centre silencer from the exhaust
I have a few questions however and would be grateful for any advice:
Will the removal of the silencer give me the dsg pop I would like?
Will it make it much loader under normal driving? I don't mind if it's a bit throatier, but I don't want a tractor!
Will the (slight) decrease in back pressure have an adverse effect on the engine in terms of power output or possible damage? I don't know much about this, but I believe back pressure is largely irrelevant in turbo engines, but n/a and supercharged ones use exhaust gas scavenging during their cycle.
I know the miltek cat back would probably give the desired result also, but I think it's very expensive and I already like the way the current exhaust exit looks.
Thanks for reading and any advice is much appreciated.

Last edited:

Beazy

Sep 21, 2011
Hi all, I would really love my cupra to 'pop' on a full throttle up shift and I've read that this can be achieved by removing the centre silencer from the exhaust
I have a few questions however and would be grateful for any advice:
Will the removal of the silencer give me the dsg pop I would like?
Will it make it much loader under normal driving? I don't mind if it's a bit throatier, but I don't want a tractor!
Will the (slight) decrease in back pressure have an adverse effect on the engine in terms of power output or possible damage? I don't know much about this, but I believe back pressure is largely irrelevant in turbo engines, but n/a and supercharged ones use exhaust gas scavenging during their cycle.
I know the miltek cat back would probably give the desired result also, but I think it's very expensive and I already like the way the current exhaust exit looks.
Thanks for reading and any advice is much appreciated.

It's not much louder when you're just plittering about town driving normally, there's a more pronounced tone around 2500 - 3500 under load in 3rd to 5th. You can get it to crack/fart and occasionally pop. It's still very wooshy on full throttle though.

The reduction in back pressure is negligible at best, no dealership in their right mind would try and question it. Less back pressure in most cases is better for a turbo.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members