Renault breaks SEAT's ring record...by building a race car

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default.asp?storyId=30177

I posted something similar on the thread to the above. I found it really funny that everyone on Pistonheads is so happy that Renault broke SEATs record. I was expecting the reaction to be negative because Renault have gone mental [basically built a race spec version of the megane] just to beat an amazing time set by SEAT and cost 8k more in the process. It just shows how good the SEAT Leon Cupra is and how much you have to modify a Megane to get anywhere near.

Everyone was complaining at Pistonheads that SEAT used uprated brakes, removed aircon, lighter wheels and nicer tyres. Now Renault basically strip the car, uprated suspension, exhaust, remap, wheels, tyres, seats and everyone at Pistonheads is super happy.

Smells of badge snobbery to me and goes to show that SEAT as a brand got a long way to go to change peoples minds. Should I say, better educate them?

Last edited:

wild willy

Aug 4, 2003
Wales

I posted something similar on the thread to the above. I found it really funny that everyone on Pistonheads is so happy that Renault broke SEATs record. I was expecting the reaction to be negative because Renault have gone mental [basically built a race spec version of the megane] just to beat an amazing time set by SEAT and cost 8k more in the process. It just shows how good the SEAT Leon Cupra is and how much you have to modify a Megane to get anywhere near.

Everyone was complaining at Pistonheads that SEAT used uprated brakes, removed aircon, lighter wheels and nicer tyres. Now Renault basically strip the car, uprated suspension, exhaust, remap, wheels, tyres, seats and everyone at Pistonheads is super happy.

Smells of badge snobbery to me and goes to show that SEAT as a brand got a long way to go to change peoples minds. Should I say, better educate them?

Ah I see, so a fair comparison then.:rolleyes:,
This may fuel seat to reclaim the title with a future Cupra R.

Last edited:

betty_swollox

Richie
Feb 15, 2011
Washington

I knew that people would be happy to see the time beaten, some people STILL see SEATs as a poor mans vw.

The Megane is totally different to the production one, whereas I don't thnk the cupra one was that much different

tommy918

Mar 4, 2011
North London
Couldn't agree more the megane would be next to useless as a every day driver whereas the leon with the performance pack can still be used for pottering about with the family which is kind of the point of a hot hatch to have some practicality.

murph81

Sep 20, 2013
Renault make throw away cars that are a ******* to work on, no comparison.

Seastormer

Cupra Leon VZ2 300/CBF1000
Apr 25, 2014
Edinburgh (Scotland)
Couldn't agree more the megane would be next to useless as a every day driver whereas the leon with the performance pack can still be used for pottering about with the family which is kind of the point of a hot hatch to have some practicality.

The Leon is a real everyday car that can go extremely quick when needed, the Megane that retook the lap record is a track day special, end of story, no comparison. Also I believe they are only making 250 worldwide, so you won't probaly ever see one. Looks like Renault just wanted the record back at any cost of without making a proper production car. I'm still happy that I chose SEAT and the other non believers are the losers.:shrug:

LeonCR

Oct 22, 2009
least its a car you can actually buy, the leon that did the ring lap time is currently not available to purchase

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
nothing been released currently, and very much doubt they would remove AC for a production car
What is there to release? We know what the pack will include.

Sure they wont remove the AC but then only 250 of those meganes will be made also which lends to my original point.

LeonCR

Oct 22, 2009
What is there to release? We know what the pack will include.

Sure they wont remove the AC but then only 250 of those meganes will be made also which lends to my original point.

the so called pack that may not include all the mods that the ring car had lol

anyway taking nothing away from it the leon Cupra Mk3 is an awesome car I just think SEAT's marketing is a bit of a fail for the ring record

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
the so called pack that may not include all the mods that the ring car had lol

anyway taking nothing away from it the leon Cupra Mk3 is an awesome car I just think SEAT's marketing is a bit of a fail for the ring record
You mean the mod of removing the AC? lol Fine but the same can be said for the renault - god knows what else they added to it.

LeonCR

Oct 22, 2009
You mean the mod of removing the AC? lol Fine but the same can be said for the renault - god knows what else they added to it.

no all the mods on the car

the Renault was a full production car, i e you can buy it the way it went round the ring

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
no all the mods on the car

the Renault was a full production car, i e you can buy it the way it went round the ring
Are you basing your knowledge on the PistonHeads article? You seem to be implying there are more modifications than we are aware of, please do share.

SEAT where quite categorical that the performance pack will include the relevant modifications as per the car that done the time. Sure AC delete wont happen but still.

I'd also like to add the Renault is hardly a hot hatch. More like a 2 seater touring car.

Last edited:

LeonCR

Oct 22, 2009
Are you basing your knowledge on the PistonHeads article? You seem to be implying there are more modifications than we are aware of, please do share.

SEAT where quite categorical that the performance pack will include the relevant modifications as per the car that done the time. Sure AC delete wont happen but still.

I'd also like to add the Renault is hardly a hot hatch. More like a 2 seater touring car.

The Renault is available to buy as it was running round the ring

The Leon is not and possibly may never be

facts are facts dude cant change them :confused:

edit no I didn't mean there were more mods sorry I misinterpreted what you were saying, my bad

Last edited:

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
The Renault is available to buy as it was running round the ring

The Leon is not and possibly may never be

facts are facts dude cant change them :confused:

edit no I didn't mean there were more mods sorry I misinterpreted what you were saying, my bad
Please answer my original question. *no longer valid*

What facts are we disputing here? That the performance pack wont come? How do you know this? The factual information I have are from SEAT directly that it will be coming.

Last edited:

LeonCR

Oct 22, 2009
Please answer my original question.

What facts are we disputing here? That the performance pack wont come? How do you know this? The factual information I have are from SEAT directly that it will be coming.

facts are you cannot buy the Cupra as it was going round the ring

if thats changes in future than it does but at the moment strictly speaking the Cupra is not and has never been the fastest FWD production car round the ring as well its not available

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
facts are you cannot buy the Cupra as it was going round the ring

if thats changes in future than it does but at the moment strictly speaking the Cupra is not and has never been the fastest FWD production car round the ring as well its not available
Yes you are correct. As it stands right now I cannot buy the car with the performance pack.

However I should be able to at the end of the year as per this 'blog' http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default.asp?storyId=29599

:)

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
I truly hope so dude, otherwise it will be a massive marketing fail from SEAT
Me too mate.

I do think it is a marketing fail for Renault too from an objective point of view. They are saying for me to buy a hothatch faster than a SEAT Leon w/ a performance pack that is not available yet [see what i did there lol] I need to

1) Lose 2 seats
2) Have racing seats
3) Racing hardnesses
4) Race suspension
5) Race exhaust
Etc...

For a figure north of 36k+ For a car that isnt really a hot hatch anymore.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise