garret v borg warner

285cupra-matty

Oct 28, 2010
Harlow
Hi all

Just seeing what people's views on these to makes. I know garrett are the tried and tested but borg warner seem to have a very good name and now come standard on a lot of cars

I'm thinking maybe a gtx28 or gtx30 for mime just looking at borg's but not sure what the equivalent borg is if someone could enlighten me that would be great.

Also has anyone had the pleasure of having both or been in cars with both.

Many thanks Matt.

285cupra-matty

Oct 28, 2010
Harlow
I have heard that to. But I'm thinking big turbo like an efr range turbo. ☺ but I think they require a different manifold to a garrett.

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
nope. T25 flanged or vbanded.... same as garret fitments
quite large units physically but do include internal wastegates

grahams81

Oct 14, 2010
County Durham
Hi all

Just seeing what people's views on these to makes. I know garrett are the tried and tested but borg warner seem to have a very good name and now come standard on a lot of cars

I'm thinking maybe a gtx28 or gtx30 for mime just looking at borg's but not sure what the equivalent borg is if someone could enlighten me that would be great.

Also has anyone had the pleasure of having both or been in cars with both.

Many thanks Matt.

I went for Borg Warner EFR, they have a very impressive spec sheet.... read up on them and they tick all the boxes. (ceramic bearings / build in oil restrictors / special lightweight Gamma TI exhaust wheels)
They appear to be expensive but if you factor in the fact they come with Internal BOV's / boost regulators / and hot sides etc they are not bad (GTX's don't come with hot side so you have to factor the cost in)

My main reason was cos of the Twin scroll, it's free efficiency upgrade :) and the fact they did a twin scroll Internally waste gated version... which no body else does.

I originally ordered a EFR7670 T4 Twin scroll 0.92AR version during the initial launch and waited months as they had serious supply issues. So i jumped up to a EFR8374 which thinking back was a tad silly but i just wanted one and it was in stock.
If you look on the Full Race website they have lots of info about these turbo's with dyno's from various models.

Although my turbo is still living in my spare room so i can't tell you how it feels my friend has a 2.0 Impreza with a EFR7064 T4 0.92 fitted and its incredible, the response is fantastic..... it produces about 26psi by 3200-3500rpm.... compared to his last turbo (GT3076) it's fantastic although i'm unsure on the AR specs etc of his last set-up.
The only thing is they come with a Midrange Wastegate canister but to run good boost you need to order a High pressure wastegate.... they can take a bit of fine tuning.

Exhaust housings are T25, T3, T4 twin scroll and now V-bands..... the T25 is only on the smaller turbos though.

Like Bill says they are quite big units.... especially the Internally waste gated versions.

285cupra-matty

Oct 28, 2010
Harlow
Thanks guys. I shall have a read up. I was thinking hybrid but the kind of money it costs and then limits you to around 370hp. You never know one day I might wake up and think oh I need more power then need to spend a load more to get it. (I'm sure you know that feeling grahams81 I've read your build thread lol )

285cupra-matty

Oct 28, 2010
Harlow
Evening everyone I got another question/s. If looking for around 400 Hp do I need to do anything to the head ie valves/springs? I've read only the exhaust side need doing? Also I have a agu bottom end ready for building and again I have read that they have a different cr to bam pistons will this cause any problems as I'm looking at keeping the agu pistons?

I also have a agu head I've had for a while and again Read somewhere that tuning a BT conversion having the vvt out of say a bam allows the mapper better control over timing, if this is correct can I put a vvt module into the agu head? Or is it even worth running the agu head?

Sorry for all the questions I'm just trying to get my head around all this don't want to be spending money where it's not necessary.

Many thanks.

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
swap over the vvt from your bam head, along with valve gear, cams etc.

if considering 400bhp levels, I would be considering supertech valvetrain also, but when doign so I would also be fitting the billet bottom sprocket as there is significantly more load on the cambelt with you run uprated top end

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise