micky

quick question how can I get my mk1 to do the lovely chatter sound ? :D

AdamRoutley

Use The Force!!
Feb 22, 2007
Walsall
www.myspace.com
In a nutshell..If it chatters, it's broken

VAG engines are designed so that when you lift off the turbo keeps spinning. The chatter is the sound of the turbo stalling..basically going against the principal design.

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
quick question how can I get my mk1 to do the lovely chatter sound ? :D

oh dear :cry:

disconnect vac off DV and it will flutter its tits off... HOWEVER... I am not advising this as the DV is there to prevent compressor stall on gear changes by releasing the boost pressure on closed throttle between gear changes... The turbo may not enjoy the chatter

You have been warned

[B)]

micky

ok I will leave well alone then lol also when I start my car from cold I can here the turbo spinning up for a minute or so is it suppose to do this ? I have a couple of friends that have golf's and there's dont

Queen Smokey II

Mar 16, 2013
Cheshire
Turbo chatter isn't that much of a problem, depends on the size of the turbo and what boost you're running and how you drive it I guess.....

If you don't drive like a total loon it'll be ok, Had a few cosworths that chatter (and never had any problems might I add) <3 the noise is just beautiful!

(I have a bit of an obsession with turbos lol)

Last edited:

AdamRoutley

Use The Force!!
Feb 22, 2007
Walsall
www.myspace.com
ok I will leave well alone then lol also when I start my car from cold I can here the turbo spinning up for a minute or so is it suppose to do this ? I have a couple of friends that have golf's and there's dont

Your turbo shouldn't be spinning on its own without any acceleration, even on start-up.

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
Turbo chatter isn't that much of a problem, depends on the size of the turbo and what boost you're running and how you drive it I guess.....

If you don't drive like a total loon it'll be ok, Had a few cosworths that chatter (and never had any problems might I add) <3 the noise is just beautiful!

(I have a bit of an obsession with turbos lol)

and a large shafted (oh err missus) garrett is'nt the same as a small shafted k04

Dave_Cupra88

Jan 30, 2012
Has anyone got a good clip of a Leon making this noise? I'm not sure exactly what it sounds like and think mine may do it when lifting part off at speed. e.g. if I put my foot down a bit on the motorway and then lift slightly (not fully) it makes what I think may be the chattering people describe. Not sure though.

Dave_Cupra88

Jan 30, 2012
Having just watched a couple of vids - in particular http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEUWEsqoWz8 I think mine is definitely doing this.

I'm running a Bailey DV30, so am guessing that's the likely culprit? Is there any reason it would only do this when partly lifting off the throttle?

Last edited:

Sprogpole

Jul 20, 2012
Leicester
Has anyone got a good clip of a Leon making this noise? I'm not sure exactly what it sounds like and think mine may do it when lifting part off at speed. e.g. if I put my foot down a bit on the motorway and then lift slightly (not fully) it makes what I think may be the chattering people describe. Not sure though.

It’s normal.
When you only lift of a little bit, there is not enough vacuum to open the recirc valve.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members