Cupra 1.4TSI CAVE or CTHE?

Mr Prince

Morning guys,

I have just bought a new 63 plate facelift Ibiza Cupra, it was manufactured a few weeks ago but ordered a month or two before this.

My question is this, given what I have read I am under the impression my Cupra will come with the revised CTHE engine not the CAVE engine. Am I correct to assume this?

Also where do I look to check which revision of engine i have? Is it on the information under the bonnet?

Mr Prince

Thanks for all your responses.

I am hopeful it will be the CTHE and thanks to you guys I know where to look to find out :D

How have those with the revised engines got on with them btw? Do VW appear to have ironed out the kinks with this engine revision?

Sparkly

Mean and Green
Sep 18, 2013
Thanks for all your responses.

I am hopeful it will be the CTHE and thanks to you guys I know where to look to find out :D

How have those with the revised engines got on with them btw? Do VW appear to have ironed out the kinks with this engine revision?

Plenty of cave engine's out there running well, albeit the rate of 'issues' is unacceptably high.

My vRS has a cave engine and just hit 40k miles, no issues to report.

From the skoda side of the family tree, fewer CTHE's are experiencing issues albeit a small number still require work under warranty.

Will cross my fingers you run problem free.

Mr Prince

Plenty of cave engine's out there running well, albeit the rate of 'issues' is unacceptably high.

My vRS has a cave engine and just hit 40k miles, no issues to report.

From the skoda side of the family tree, fewer CTHE's are experiencing issues albeit a small number still require work under warranty.

Will cross my fingers you run problem free.

I'm crossing my fingers too.

It's a great engine though, I hope that with the little tweeks they have done to the CTHE the general issues are lessened.

I will still be sure to maintain it properly though and keep a keen eye on the oil! :D

Thanks for your response :D

dashnine

Oct 31, 2012
Warwick, UK
Just bumping this to ask: What are the physical, external differences between CAVE and CTHE that can be seen from lifting the bonnet / engine cover? Anyone got any comparison photos or diagrams?

Thanks!

Pyrres

Ibiza Cupra -14
May 2, 2014
Finland
Any idea what is different? Pistons, piston rings? Breather? Better turbo-supercharger control valve?

Jun 12, 2020
Morning geniuses out there i need help. I recently bought a golf mk6 GT 1.4 twin turbo of course it has engine problem. mine is the 09 plate so it had the CAVD engine. anyway...ive recently bought the CTHE to fit in. Now the mechanics have done the job however on the last part they are having problems fitting the driver side engine mount...we've bought 2 different mounts hoping that it'll fit but nothing. do you guys have any idea what is the part or the only solution we have now is to strip the new engine again and take the cover from the CAVD engine maybe that will work? please help a petrol head out. thanks in advance!

SEAT Rule

Nov 19, 2019
Morning geniuses out there i need help. I recently bought a golf mk6 GT 1.4 twin turbo of course it has engine problem. mine is the 09 plate so it had the CAVD engine. anyway...ive recently bought the CTHE to fit in. Now the mechanics have done the job however on the last part they are having problems fitting the driver side engine mount...we've bought 2 different mounts hoping that it'll fit but nothing. do you guys have any idea what is the part or the only solution we have now is to strip the new engine again and take the cover from the CAVD engine maybe that will work? please help a petrol head out. thanks in advance!

Hello there,

Golf Variant 2009
(drivers side engine mount) with engine code CAVD

Choice of eng mounts as listed on VW ETKA for above model.

1K0 199 262AM

1K0 199 262L

1K0 199 262K

1K0 199 262CG

1K0 199 262AJ

Mount bracket that goes with above engine mounts.

06F 199 207Q

06F 199 207H

06F 199 207P

036 199 275AE

Golf 1.4 2009
up to Vin/chassis number >> 1K-9-200-000
(drivers side engine mount) doesn't list engine code CAVD but does say 1.4 ?

Choice of eng mounts as listed on VW ETKA for above model/year.

1K0 199 262AJ

1K0 199 262K

1K0 199 262CG

1K0 199 262M

1K0 199 262L

06F 199 207H

06F 199 207Q

06J 199 207P

036 199 275AE

Golf 1.4 2009
After Vin/chassis number 1K-9-400-001 >>
(drivers side engine mount) with engine code CAVD

Choice of eng mounts as listed on VW ETKA for above model.

1K0 199 262AJ

1K0 199 262K

1K0 199 262CG

1K0 199 262L

1K0 199 262CP

06F 199 207Q

036 199 275AH

Looks like the above part numbers were shared on the Golf/Beatle/Jetta from 2009 to roughly 2012 with the following engine codes:

CAVD, CTHD, CTHE

Engine code CTHE was also in the Skoda I think and the SEAT Ibiza, if you're having problems with the drivers side top engine mount, then could be the mount bracket that is bolted to engine is different between the model's, hence there being different engine mounts and mount brackets listed on ETKA.

Sorry I can't be of anymore help, I've listed the part numbers for you so you can compare what's on your car now.

Si

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.