Super unleaded

Dan FR

Meth addict. Stage 2+ Yo!
Nov 14, 2013
Caerdydd
It all depends on the mapping and the adaptability of the ECU, modern ECUs are amazing pieces of kit and can adapt fantastically well.

Pretty sure i remember reading that most quoted petrol HP figures from new require super unleaded, and the car will produce less if normal unleaded is used. Even though the sticker inside the filler flap or the handbook wont specify Super, as the ECU can manage perfectly well on 95.

Suicida1 Zombie

Mar 19, 2013
It all depends on the mapping and the adaptability of the ECU, modern ECUs are amazing pieces of kit and can adapt fantastically well.

Pretty sure i remember reading that most quoted petrol HP figures from new require super unleaded, and the car will produce less if normal unleaded is used. Even though the sticker inside the filler flap or the handbook wont specify Super, as the ECU can manage perfectly well on 95.
What I think is even worse is that some people are talking about running their new cupra's on 95 when its stickered for 98. I understand that in other countries availability and MASSIVE cost differences between 95 and 98/99 can be a problem but not here in the UK.

Why anyone would shell out for a cupra and then say that they want to save the pennies by putting regular fuel in it is beyond me..... especially when in that case you WILL be losing power without a doubt.....

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

scrich7

Oct 6, 2013
Bedford
I've used premium since getting my car, mostly Tesco Momentum and given that it is only a few pence more than standard, I don't see much difference in cost.

Wouldn't know if I've seen any difference as it has never been run on standard fuel

shnazzle

Glass-Half-Full Member
Sep 9, 2011
Northumberland
Vauxhall's are built for 95 I believe and run like utter poop on 98. As said by a mate of mine with a 2012 astra. He simply cannot put 97/98 in

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
What I think is even worse is that some people are talking about running their new cupra's on 95 when its stickered for 98. I understand that in other countries availability and MASSIVE cost differences between 95 and 98/99 can be a problem but not here in the UK.

Why anyone would shell out for a cupra and then say that they want to save the pennies by putting regular fuel in it is beyond me..... especially when in that case you WILL be losing power without a doubt.....

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk
+1. Given the price difference in the UK between normal and super Tesco juice, based on average mileage of 12k a year and using 28mpg as an average, using super will cost around £100 a year more. Or £2 a week. That's not factoring in any increase in mpg possibly obtained by using super.
If you are struggling to afford £2 a week should you really be running a Cupra?
Probably same people that put Kung Po special tyres on and wonder why they are sat in a ditch.....

Last edited:

B0nk3r5

Aug 13, 2013
I have the 1.2 and use vpower from new. On the odd occasion the garage I go to doesnt have it and I have to use regular. I can really tell the difference, not as smooth through the range and a tad less responsive. A tank of regular doesnt last as long either, but im not sure if thats because I use more acceleration to compensate.

B0nk3r5

derelyth

Jun 11, 2011
Portsmouth
Aside from the dealer tank (presumably Texaco due to the proximity to the dealer), I've always used VPower without a second thought. Needed or not, I spent <£25k on this beaut so an extra £3.60 per tank isn't going to bankrupt me. I fill every 3 weeks or so, so that makes about £62 difference in a year. Sod all.

Incidentally, I ran Torque Pro on a short 9 mile run the other day and timing varied from 30* to -17* (positive figure is retardation, negative figure is advance - forgot to screenshot as I was en-route to a work do). What the timing would be on Shell Pleb, I don't know - part of me wants to find out, part of me doesn't want to have to run 2+ tanks of regular.

Bryanm

Aside from the dealer tank (presumably Texaco due to the proximity to the dealer), I've always used VPower without a second thought. Needed or not, I spent <£25k on this beaut so an extra £3.60 per tank isn't going to bankrupt me. I fill every 3 weeks or so, so that makes about £62 difference in a year. Sod all.

Incidentally, I ran Torque Pro on a short 9 mile run the other day and timing varied from 30* to -17* (positive figure is retardation, negative figure is advance - forgot to screenshot as I was en-route to a work do). What the timing would be on Shell Pleb, I don't know - part of me wants to find out, part of me doesn't want to have to run 2+ tanks of regular.

Once every 3 weeks you fill up! I dream of stuff like that! I'm 2 full tanks a week unfortunately, I'm due a full up tomorrow so I'm gonna fill up on tesco super unleaded, it's just something i never thought would make a difference but I've probably been being naive so I'll give it a go see what the difference is!

sootytorques

Sep 9, 2013
At bryanm you'll need 2 tanks of Tesco momentum to experience the difference, im using v power nitro at the moment as triple points and there no difference, have been really happy with momentum.

Last edited:
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.