SatNav Navigation Database Updates

Rob2k68

Jun 11, 2014
Rugby
Hmm not sounding promising surely you would expect that you buy the new maps pop in the SD card and it just works. Got my car booked in next Friday afternoon so will be interesting to see if they update the nav software ......

Rob2k68

Jun 11, 2014
Rugby
I've been told by the guy in parts that I should have got a serial number slip inside my map SD case (which I did not although it was sealed) which the car needs to be coded to. I'm not sure if he means in VCDS or if there is a 'hidden' service menu on the nav unit. He mentioned that the car locks itself to the first SD card that it reads

It's booked in for Friday for them to look into this - I may buy the maps again from Seat and send the one back to ebay.

This seems like a lot of effort just to update the maps and it also means that your old maps are useless and will not work in other cars ?? Why have Seat made this so difficult !!

nokiauk

Feb 9, 2003
Edinburgh
Can understand the card being locked to the car, but only if the downloadable updates can be used on that card which they can't currently.

Rob2k68

Jun 11, 2014
Rugby
There must be some sort of encrypted software lock on the nav unit when it is first initialised at the factory which checks map version, file size and if you have map cover.

I've just been told by the parts dept that I need 5F0 060 884 F v5 which is the activation document for V4 maps which I presume comes with the SD card. The service dept then re-pair the card to the nav unit either through the OBD port or on the nav unit itself maybe a service menu. Buying the V4 maps on SD card is only any good if you loose your original SD card. This is only my conclusion and may be wrong but would explain why overwriting the SD card with new maps doesn't work. Skoda, VW et al clearly don't have this level of 'security'.

Rob2k68

Jun 11, 2014
Rugby
will be interesting to see what they need to do to activate it.

Yes absolutley I wonder if its anything to do with this coding :-

Address 5F: Information Electr. (J794) Labels: None
Part No SW: 5F0 035 858 A HW: 5F0 035 858 A
Component: MU-S-ND-ER 040 0407
Coding: 04730001FF0A000021111101000800002F0101060100010046

I expect there is some sort of algorithm that converts the activation document code into what is entered, the map care flag is also an interesting one. Also wonder if there is a utilities menu on the nav unit ......

Coding of airbags requires additional numbers from an invoice/receipt or the box it came in so this could be similar.

Last edited:

scoobiesnacks

ApplicationSoftwareVersionNumber="0040"
SystemName=" ECE 2014/15 "

I currently have:

ApplicationSoftwareVersionNumber="0036"
SystemName=" ECE 2014 "

My car is less than a month old and the Navi system is already out of date!

However the system won't accept the files.

It seems odd that someone is hosting the files for you to download but the software won't update.

Is this lock down specific to the new Leon but works for older Seats?

Mar 13, 2011
Nah the files for the RNS310,315,510 are different

The link posted by Nick suggests its for the current media system. At least, the picture on the page looks like the unit in our car.

It does state you need mapcare though. I don't (to my knowledge) have that.

JamMonkey

Mar 9, 2008
Cheshire
I've been routing around looking for updates for my MK2 Facelift media 2.1 system. Still on original release.

Came across a few audi drivers selling 2014 updates, they mention ACTIVATION of media systems costing £500.00 which allows updates these where 2013 cars.

I do find it hard to believe that SEAT are offering the tech packs for free but can't tell you how to update the Nav system, E.G you either have to purchase the updates and have the dealer do it all included in the £130 cost or have the car activated £500 and you can down load updates as they become available.
Its not difficult is it.

Rob2k68

Jun 11, 2014
Rugby
Just had my call back from Seat customer care.

To update from v3 maps to v4 without map care you need to purchase 5F0 060 884F which is the maps SD card plus the activation code and instructions so it may be possible to do so without a visit to the dealers ??

As stated above it's going to cost the best part of £130. Looks like I'll be sending my v4 SD card back to the seller on ebay.

gamer555

Dec 6, 2008
Brussels
actually it's for two years, at least this is how it was advertised. I have mapcare and version 0036 (3 months old car), show I download the files and perform the update myself ? has anyone tried this and completed it successfully ?

scoobiesnacks

actually it's for two years, at least this is how it was advertised. I have mapcare and version 0036 (3 months old car), show I download the files and perform the update myself ? has anyone tried this and completed it successfully ?

How much did you pay?
Have they not given to instructions then on how to do it?
If not, I'd go to the dealer asking them to provide instructions

Is mapcare then effectively a subscription that enables you to update your sd card and is it the case that you can't do it any other way?

Last edited by a moderator:

gamer555

Dec 6, 2008
Brussels
paid about 150 euros (belgium), did not receive any info on how the updates will hapen. it seems I need to contact the after sales dept.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.