Aircon noise

Dec 4, 2006
Manchester
My aircon has started making a noise - sounds like a noisy fridge just behind the dashboard, also raises with engine revs, particularly noisy on start up, and continues for 20 secs after turning engine off. Noise stops when aircon is off. Any ideas? Whilst the aircon still works sounds like i need to get this sorted before the 3 year warranty runs out.

AlexK1

Apr 20, 2014
Poole
Possibly running low on refrigerant. Maybe get it booked in for an air con service?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TMO

Feb 15, 2008
Stafford, Staffs
Definatly get it booked in, one of my previous cars had a really bad aircon noise, turned out the compressor was cracked they had to flush the system of gas while they ordered a new one because of health and safety regs. Lucky it was done under warranty and it was autumn so didn't need it anyway.

Best case scenario you just need re-gassing like previously said.

tinsleytdi

Dec 16, 2012
Hertfordshire
Just goin on from what 'TMO' said, I had an issue with my compressor and it was just outside of warrenty! Fortunatly the Dealer spoke to Seat and they got a new one for me free of charge. The service manager was telling me that they had quite a few issues with the compressors and they're not very good.

It wouldn't be a suprise if it's a compressor issue with you too, although its a different issue than what mine had.

springer

May 30, 2010
We had one it at work this week,turned out to be the compressor as well.

Mine has stopped working and is booked in at Seat under warranty,hope its the compressor so i get a new one

Dec 4, 2006
Manchester
Sounds like compressor- Aircon power is getting worse by the day- barely cools now!!
Is this a big job- dashboard out etc??
Thanks

AlexK1

Apr 20, 2014
Poole
Have you got it checked to see if it's low on gas? I've literally done one at my work and it's a noise that can be made when they have a lack of gas, but still enough to not trigger the low pressure cut off. Don't always think the worst, try the simple things first

AlexK1

Apr 20, 2014
Poole
It's worth checking, and I think it's on the left hand side of engine bay

AlexK1

Apr 20, 2014
Poole
Possibly, depends on the amount of gas in the system. As said, check pressures first to make sure they are fine, if not correct them and then check for the noise again :).

Makes you laugh that you can't use the self service kits anymore, yet when I go airsoft I use gas pistols that run of r134a and it's legal to fire off!

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com
Compressor is in the engine bay, driven off the alternator belt. Unless there is a serious internal fault with it there won't be any noise.

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com
Possibly, depends on the amount of gas in the system. As said, check pressures first to make sure they are fine, if not correct them and then check for the noise again :).

Makes you laugh that you can't use the self service kits anymore, yet when I go airsoft I use gas pistols that run of r134a and it's legal to fire off!

It's illegal to wilfully release r134a into the atmosphere.

Why are you using it in air guns?

Last edited:

AlexK1

Apr 20, 2014
Poole
It's illegal to wilfully release r134a into the atmosphere.

Why are you using it in air guns?

Different rules for airsoft, otherwise they wouldn't allow it. Think it comes under the hfc-134a gas but essentially the same as r134a

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com
They're just silly rules mate. They introduced r134a in place of r12 which was a CFC, hole in the ozone layer, melting glaciers and all that now all of a sudden this new gas is harmful. Furthermore the new r1234yf gas has failed safety tests because it's highly explosive when heated!

I think 134a has been classed as a domestic gas where as r134a is an industrial refrigerant, hence the legality of its use.

Last edited:

AlexK1

Apr 20, 2014
Poole
Yeah something like that, I just buy what's in the shop :). I saw that about the Mercedes tests but they could be down to the design of the cars? Don't see how that's possible, if it's ignited it's for a reason.

Our techs up at the training centre were saying something about other ideas for aircon gas and I'm sure co2 was mentioned but had to run close to 100 bar to work, not feasible on a real world scale though!

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com
The reason for the use of chlorine and hydrogen based gases was they have a very low boiling point, r134a is around -26 degrees C, it can be contained and pressurised easily and used effectively. CO2 boils at -57 degrees C, added risk but I'm sure they'd make it work.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise