iTB Ibiza Cupra 16v Track Toy - Engine Rebuild, Aero & More Page 73+

Dave_R

Save a Sheep...Buy Brembo
Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
Should be having any issue like that with a standard engine mate!

Maybe your fuel pressure reg isn't giving enough pressure? I'm still using the oem fuel pump and it's fine for my spec of engine!?

Or maybe your fuel pump is gone?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

justinb

Nov 9, 2013
changed the fuel pump twice, made no difference. swapped with oem pump. car works fine when tank is full and had it dyno'd which showed everything was healthy. this is a real head scratcher now since you said you have no problems like i do

Dave_R

Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
PEMBREY CIRCUIT

Did a trackday with Kidwelly Motor Club, great lot with awesome track manners!

Anyway the snot was going well, the Dash 2 was prefect. The gear inductor was spot on, showing the correct gear before I even get off the clutch.

On my third session I started to develop a misfire on the hairpin low down in the rev range which got worse a few corners later. Suspected/hoping spark plug issue, I started ringing around nearby motor factors and while on the phone I noticed a slight problem with my tyre!

3F3F6A58-01F3-4431-97AF-570B590678BC_zpsgcspnb1c.jpg

Basically I usually get 2 track days out of these Kumho V70A's on the front but I wanted to see if I could get a third.... Don't think I can tho.

Back to the misfire, when I got home. I removed the spark plugs and sent a photo to Saxon Motorsport, seems cylinder 3 is running a bit lean and also on a previous set I had changed had a similar problem. Knowing I had changed the coil pack after Castle Combe last year it could be either injector (unlikely) or HT leads, just to make sure I did compression test on the engine which showed everything was OK.

In the middle of ordering a new set of leads from Magnecore & tyres from Kumho, sadly Brands Hatch on the 1st May isn't looking good :(

Dave_R

Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
A little cosmetic change, been wanting to do this for years but never did it.... Fit Silvatec bulbs lol
Before & after
DD4B9673-A53E-4928-BDFC-69A0EBC56E0E_zpsf6bhh992.jpg

Also as I said about the misfire I had some new leads made up, had them made a lot shorter in length this time so looks much neater. Wanted to eliminate any possible cause so now if the misfire continues it could be a bit more serious.
CD8FEA8B-5B0B-42F9-AE06-A2B02979AB34_zpsuzxervzf.jpg

Dave_R

Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
Also I've booked Castle Combe for this Monday 12th with BHP Track Days so if anyone in the area come and say Hi :D

If everything goes well then I'll be heading to Cadwell or Oulton Park next, fingers crossed I have a trouble free day

Dave_R

Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
CASTLE COMBE

Booked a track day with BHP Track Days, booked with these guys 3 times now and they a pleasure to deal with, probably the best track day company for when it comes to dealing with problems and very understandable.

768475F6-C93E-44E9-960C-8F8757944E97_zpsftu2wruw.jpg

Got up to Combe nice and early to set up my tent, weather forecast had given a clear sunny morning and then heavy showers from 12:30 onwards so a bit of cover would be a pleasure
BC432538-41D2-4D3B-AF2F-B2D76014C887_zps1bm0gsqz.jpg

(Side went on when the rain came).

In the morning it was dry and pretty warm, the car was behaving itself and it looks like the misfire has been resolved.... Boggy the car down in gears to see while I'm out on track and it pulled smoothly, not a lot to say really. Everything ran smoothly and the snot was going well, overtook this lovely TVR
B557919F-3513-42FF-A9D0-4241EAFB01D1_zpsebssnfwj.jpg

Had a few people comment on how well the snot was going out on track :thumbup:

In the afternoon the rain came, Castle Monsoon lived up to its name! It really did pour it down! Threw the wets on (Uniroyal Rainsport 2) but it was so slippery out there and I had a bad vibration under braking, only since I fitted the wets. On inspection I noticed there were no wights on the outside of the alloy that was in the front, went to swap with the rears and the sun came back out, the pit lane soon dried up and the track even quicker, perfect to go back on the V70A's, didn't rain at all after that.

Sum it up it was actually a smooth day and I managed to get 8 sessions in, here's a few boring pics now.
BHP120514018_zps5364b6c8.jpg

BHP120514150_zpsbc48344d.jpg

BHP120514149_zpse8d59dac.jpg

BHP120514163_zps2f3b988c.jpg

BHP120514317_zpscbd11196.jpg

The cable tie hitched a ride

BHP120514625_zpsc3c2880b.jpg

BHP120514316_zpscefe2e6b.jpg

F00C9EC2-6574-4565-A4AC-B74B9A09995F_zpshxlzwg9t.jpg

By 12 noon I think I killed half the population of bugs on the track

Out came the rain
BHP120514725_zps51479b15.jpg

BHP120514741_zps72f7f211.jpg

BHP120514789_zps24285764.jpg

Sun came back out
BHP1205141082_zpsf7920082.jpg

BHP1205141083_zps65411e17.jpg

BHP1205141091_zps29a7de2e.jpg

Dave_R

Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
Noticed that my brake pads were looking very low on the front after Combe so a phone call to my mate Ben @ Godspeed Brakes and a set of DS3000's were ordered, when I fitted the pads and went to bleed them (usually do after a track day) I had no flow at the rear brakes.

I cracked the pipe off before the brake bias and had flow then cracked it off after the bias kit and I had one drop at a time which time I pressed the brake pedal, striped the brake bias down and couldn't see anything wrong with it. Blow the air gun through it and could feel air coming out of the outlet, re-assembled, bled the brakes and it worked for the first attempt after that it was blocked again!??

Ordered a new one and fitted this today and all was fine, bit gutted though because I only fitted the brake bias 14 months ago and used it for about 6-7 track days.

After a few things I was concerned about the engine I took the car down to Saxon Motorsport so they could do a leak down test and check it over themselves.

Maximum leakage I had was 8%, lowest was 6% so all was fine there but they did find the throttle bodies were unbalanced (probably from when I had to remove them to replace the coolant housing) which will explain how cylinder 3 was running a bit lean & 2 was looking rich when looking at the plugs and also it wouldn't have helped with my misfire issue.

Got them all balanced and it felt a bit smoother when I bogged it right down in 2nd.

So I can now look into booking another track day soon :)

Oct 21, 2006
Norfolk
i love all the updates on this.
glad to hear your problem was nothing too serious.

Totally agree with cupra.al. Really enjoy the updates and the attention to detail that is put into the car. I've never got into the track day life simply because I'd worry about everything all the time. This is like my guilty pleasure!

On to the next track day then Dave :D

Dave_R

Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
Totally agree with cupra.al. Really enjoy the updates and the attention to detail that is put into the car. I've never got into the track day life simply because I'd worry about everything all the time. This is like my guilty pleasure!

On to the next track day then Dave :D

Want to do Snetteron soon so will let you know :D

Dave_R

Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
Once I was down at Saxon Motorsport for them to check the engine over they commented on my oil catch tank. It had 19mm inlet and only a 8mm outlet.

So an email to Lars @ AH Fabrication and a poor paint drawing later we have this

161BFF9E-4438-4961-AFB5-297DDEE33987_zps2kwik2de.jpg

E08544AC-F1E5-43B8-BA5D-2EDFC17B4767_zpsuq8bvuak.jpg

And had a huge spare E11evens stricken so put it on my door
5A933F50-D43B-4A56-9104-DCD54D4AB66F_zpsyliedg8p.jpg

Also I've just booked GTi International & a track day at Cadwell Park on the 26th June

Dave_R

Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
CADWELL PARK

Been meaning to do this track for ages so finally booked a day. Left the house Wednesday night to sleep in the van because it's a nice 4.5 hour drive and I didn't like the idea of starting at 3ish am.

Slept quite pleasant in the van, I'm a short arse so fitted on the rear 3 seats easily but I did forget a pillow and had to use my laptop bag & clothes to rest my tired head on.

Got woken up to the sun rising and what a morning! Just the sight you what to see when you're doing a track you've never been on before.

Used the sighting laps to bed in the new brake pads on the front (DS3000) and took it easy on my first few laps. The track is amazing, truly lives up to the "Mini Nurburgring" nickname with the drips and climbs, the blind fast corners and lots of camber!

It's like a roller castor ride, one hell of an experience!

I could actually say I enjoyed a lap at Cadwell Park more than the 'ring itself! Got my head around the layout quick enough (did watch quite a bit of footage on YouTube) but to master the track is another thing. It's a proper drivers track where you can benefit from left foot braking and you need big balls to commit to most of the corners!

The snot went very well around there, had a few little problems. Mainly down to my dash, the speed stopped working and then lost my rev display (plug worked loose). I thought I was going to be slow since I've never been there & in the briefing 90% of the people had been here before but had positive comments from people all day.

Had a few more comments after I sat with a 2010 911 GT3 RS which I lost ground on due to traffic and then chased him back down. Which I wasn't too happy with because it's my dream track car lol.

Anyway enough of the write up and here's the photos, will sort a video once I attempt iMovies on my recently purchased MacBook (any advise is welcome).

Apr 15, 2009
Midlands
Dont get on here much these days but always have to look at this thread when im on!

Love watching the videos and the abuse you give the car on track, looks so quick

Dave_R

Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
Dont get on here much these days but always have to look at this thread when im on!

Love watching the videos and the abuse you give the car on track, looks so quick

Thanks butty, will try to keep them coming :)

BHP120514317_zpscbd11196.jpg

Need more caster Dave?

what do you rev to, sounds mint on the video..
looks a lot of fun

Don't think I can get anymore caster Bill, the tyres are almost touching the front bumper lol.

It's rev'in to 8700 - 8800 now and Cadwell is now my new favourite track, enjoyed more than the 'ring simply because you can get your head around the track and know whats next but still need to be brave into the corners. Such an awarding track :D

Last edited: