LOBA-SACHS stage 2 Clutch kit issues- if you have this clutch pls read

m.001

Oct 1, 2012
Hello Everyone, Please read if you have this clutch.

I have installed the stage 2 loba-sachs clutch with a short shifter.
I bedded the clutch in properly for ages and eventually took the car on to the track.

I find that changing gears is a lot tougher especially when the revs are high.
When I am on the track and push the car from 3rd to 4th, 4th-5th etc it takes what feels like forever to change gears, its almost like I have to force the gear knob into place.

Does anyone else who has this clutch kit have the same problem?

Last edited:

Dopedpanda

"Old" Hardcore Ford Fan
Jun 15, 2013
Denmark

I bedded the clutch in properly for ages and eventually took the car on to the track.

When I am on the track and push the car from 3rd to 4th, 4th-5th etc it takes what feels like forever to change gears, its almost like I have to force the gear knob into place.

Sachs have had a batch of bad pressure plates some time ago, its possible you have got your hand of one of those old units, its the same symptom, not fully disengage High rpm.

m.001

Oct 1, 2012
Sachs have had a batch of bad pressure plates some time ago, its possible you have got your hand of one of those old units, its the same symptom, not fully disengage High rpm.

Damn. Can I do anything about it or am I stuck with it?

May 25, 2008
S.Wales
www.seatcupra.net

I get this with mine... I gotten use to it though
(setup)
SACH Motorsport Sintered Clutch (Non Organic) / LOBA Flywheel
gear linkage reset
ECS Clutch bleeder block
neuspeed shortshift (40% reduction)
upgraded shift bushes (draft42)
upgraded millers NT gearbox oil
Vibratechnik/Powerflex Polybushes

Last edited:

m.001

Oct 1, 2012
If it is the issue its new clutch time.
Why dont you try to email the place you bought it?

I live in the middle east. The guys I got it from arent exactly the best organised people in the world. Lets just say that customer service here isnt exactly a priority.

Unfortunately thats just the way it is here.

As long as it doesnt do any damage then i guess i can live with it.

m.001

Oct 1, 2012
(setup)
gear linkage reset
ECS Clutch bleeder block

It is just frustrating. I have two other friends that go to the track with me, one has a bmw 335 m sport or whatever they are called with the flappy panels and the other a heavily modified mustang (not the shelby) and when I am in gear I am actually a touch faster than them but then when I am changing gear I loose too much ground to be able to keep up on the straight.
They only just pull away but really frustrating when I know that in gear my car is actually quicker.

i guess ill have to go to 2+ then... haha

May 25, 2008
S.Wales
www.seatcupra.net
It is just frustrating. I have two other friends that go to the track with me, one has a bmw 335 m sport or whatever they are called with the flappy panels and the other a heavily modified mustang (not the shelby) and when I am in gear I am actually a touch faster than them but then when I am changing gear I loose too much ground to be able to keep up on the straight.
They only just pull away but really frustrating when I know that in gear my car is actually quicker.

Happens even in 2+ ...It's frustrating at top-end speed - I literally need to force the gearstick into gear around 6-7k revs (stupid delay) wish I went for the Helix Twinplate system now :(

Dopedpanda

"Old" Hardcore Ford Fan
Jun 15, 2013
Denmark

I would get it sorted out, Else you should start stocking gearboxes. It gives the synchros a really hard time not disengaging fully

m.001

Oct 1, 2012
yeah, i didnt think the problem would go away on stage 2+ but atleast i would have a little extra power.

How frustrating...

i am going to be out of the country for quite a long time but when I am back ill need to test it properly again and if i still have the same issue (I dont see why anything will change) i will try get the garage i go to to sort it out.

what is the difference with the helix clutch? and why would it be better?

Dopedpanda

"Old" Hardcore Ford Fan
Jun 15, 2013
Denmark
yeah, i didnt think the problem would go away on stage 2+ but atleast i would have a little extra power.

How frustrating...

i am going to be out of the country for quite a long time but when I am back ill need to test it properly again and if i still have the same issue (I dont see why anything will change) i will try get the garage i go to to sort it out.

what is the difference with the helix clutch? and why would it be better?

The helix he is talking about (At least i think its that model) is a multiple layered clutch plate system. These are way less forgiving, can take alot of abuse, not suitable for daily driving at all, but other than that, they have a really small area of engagement/disengagement (doesn´t need to move the clutch pedal alot) and can hold alot of power.

But as im aware, the clutch system (master cylinder) isn´t up to the task of using such a clutch, so you also need to upgrade that and you gonna have a very strong leg at the end of your ownership with this car.

tractorboy

Jul 13, 2009
Middle East
Where abouts in the middle east are you? Im in the UAE, we have a couple of places with a some good knowledge who may be able to help. Other than that I know how you feel when it comes to customer service

m.001

Oct 1, 2012
The helix he is talking about (At least i think its that model) is a multiple layered clutch plate system. These are way less forgiving, can take alot of abuse, not suitable for daily driving at all, but other than that, they have a really small area of engagement/disengagement (doesn´t need to move the clutch pedal alot) and can hold alot of power.

But as im aware, the clutch system (master cylinder) isn´t up to the task of using such a clutch, so you also need to upgrade that and you gonna have a very strong leg at the end of your ownership with this car.

Ah ok, my car is mostly a daily driver so i think that would be way too much.
Ill have to give it another good test when I get out on the track again. It is still way too hot here so itll probably be october onwards.

If it is the pressure plate I guess i would have to replace it? which means a lot of labour etc.
I wish tuning would always go smoothly... unfortunately that never seems to happen.

thanks a lot by the way dopedpanda... all this info is very helpful

m.001

Oct 1, 2012
Where abouts in the middle east are you? Im in the UAE, we have a couple of places with a some good knowledge who may be able to help. Other than that I know how you feel when it comes to customer service

hey tractorboy. I am in the uae too.
yeah tell me about it.. finding a garage with good mechanics and good customer service is very tough here... id probably go as far as saying impossible to find.

m.001

Oct 1, 2012
(setup)
gear linkage reset
ECS Clutch bleeder block

I wrote directly to loba who then contacted sachs and this is the reply back from Sachs.

i thought I would post it up here so maybe you could sort yours out too chenungy.

You’ve purchased a Performance clutch module which is designed for highly tuned cars based on OE specification.

The Performance product range of ZF Race Engineering is based on applications and nearly by 90% a 1 by 1 replacement to the OE clutches.

But with this module, you have choosen a solid steel flywheel which is thought as a replacement of the dual mass flywheel. The dual mass

flywheel itself is the most important vibrational eleminating system in the powertrain. But unfortunately with performance tuning of the engine,

the part could be a weak point and may be overloaded by the power. This replacement could cause shifting problems at higher revs. Because

all other components in the OE car are designed and aligned onto each other. We figured out that the mainshaft of some cars with 02M transmission

are not stiff enough and a movement of it can not be excluded with the performance clutch module. Especially at higher revs and fast shifting operations.

Therefore we recommend to install a missing washer / shim and to replace the transmission cover. Please find below the corresponding part number of VW:

WHT-001-976 Washer

02M-301-211-B Transmission cover

This 2 components avoids the movement of the mainshaft and you should be able to shift the gears like a racing driver. J

m.001

Oct 1, 2012
Just in case anyone has the same issue as me here is what sachs wrote back to me regarding the tough gear changes at high revs.
I am away from my car for quite a while still but I will definitely look into what they recommended and try and make the modifications.... If anyone is interested in the outcome let me know so that I can update this thread once or if I make the changes.

Anyway here is the reply from Sachs, hope it serves someone.

You’ve purchased a Performance clutch module which is designed for highly tuned cars based on OE specification.

The Performance product range of ZF Race Engineering is based on applications and nearly by 90% a 1 by 1 replacement to the OE clutches.

But with this module, you have choosen a solid steel flywheel which is thought as a replacement of the dual mass flywheel. The dual mass

flywheel itself is the most important vibrational eleminating system in the powertrain. But unfortunately with performance tuning of the engine,

the part could be a weak point and may be overloaded by the power. This replacement could cause shifting problems at higher revs. Because

all other components in the OE car are designed and aligned onto each other. We figured out that the mainshaft of some cars with 02M transmission

are not stiff enough and a movement of it can not be excluded with the performance clutch module. Especially at higher revs and fast shifting operations.

Therefore we recommend to install a missing washer / shim and to replace the transmission cover. Please find below the corresponding part number of VW:

WHT-001-976 Washer

This 2 components avoids the movement of the mainshaft and you should be able to shift the gears like a racing driver. J

Dopedpanda

"Old" Hardcore Ford Fan
Jun 15, 2013
Denmark
Just in case anyone has the same issue as me here is what sachs wrote back to me regarding the tough gear changes at high revs.
I am away from my car for quite a while still but I will definitely look into what they recommended and try and make the modifications.... If anyone is interested in the outcome let me know so that I can update this thread once or if I make the changes.

Anyway here is the reply from Sachs, hope it serves someone.

WHT-001-976 Washer

Really great answer, have done this myself a couple of times on the 02M gearbox with great succes.

But sorry to say, you Got a 02Q gearbox where this is altered from the factory and isnt a solution anymore (and it aint needed if it was)

Problem on the 02M was that the main shaft wasn't really torqued together between the bearings, so the shaft could move a little and bind on the flywheel/pressure plate surface.

It is possible that some leons mk2 Got the 02M, i have just never Come across it, neither is it a possibilty when you look up the car in elsawin.

m.001

Oct 1, 2012
Really great answer, have done this myself a couple of times on the 02M gearbox with great succes.

But sorry to say, you Got a 02Q gearbox where this is altered from the factory and isnt a solution anymore (and it aint needed if it was)

Problem on the 02M was that the main shaft wasn't really torqued together between the bearings, so the shaft could move a little and bind on the flywheel/pressure plate surface.

It is possible that some leons mk2 Got the 02M, i have just never Come across it, neither is it a possibilty when you look up the car in elsawin.

You'll have to excuse my ignorance. do all 6 speed, manual mk2 leon cupras have the 02Q gearbox?

if that isnt a solution any more, is there anything else I can do to sort the problem?

POPOV

Jun 25, 2005
Sweden
I have the 02Q gearbox on my 2007 Cupra with the Sachs clutch and single mass flywheel and have the same issues when changing gears at high speed.