Sport tech 18" wheels question

Wishy

Jun 20, 2014
Hi recently purchased the sport tech with 18" wheels, coming from a Leon stylance with 16" wheels, I couldn't help but notice the steering is very heavy. Is this normal or is there a problem with the power steering. At slow speeds I have to put quite a bit of effort in to turn corners.
Thanks in advance

Deleted member 89926

Hi Wishy,

Sounds like you have a problem, I have the Sport Tech on 18s and it's fine. I get a bit of a wine from the power steering at low speed which I believe is normal with this car but it should definitely be lighter steering at low speed and progressively tighten up at higher speeds.
I'm sure I've read on here about a few steering rack failures - maybe a possibility?
Hopefully you're still under warranty?

Bilster1

Wishy

Jun 20, 2014
Yeah I have 6 months warranty with the dealership thank god! My steering is the opposite to the norm in which it is easier to steer at speed.

Legohead

Feb 11, 2006
Hertfordshire
Remember though this is good ole fashioned hydraulic power steering and does have a fair amount of resistance at slow speeds compared to some cars that have ultr light city mode electric power steering. I had a loan Ibiza and the steering felt rediculously light. Maybe it just takes some getting used to?

I've had a new steering rack on my Exeo due to a leaky pipe fitting. Steering never went heavy, just noise from the pump when reseviour level dropped.

Last edited:

Wishy

Jun 20, 2014
Just got my dad who works in the motor trade to take it for a test drive. he reckons the steering is fine, and that I just need to get used to it. Thanks for the advice though

Tom B

Apr 2, 2002
Northampton
Yep it'll be the difference between hydraulic and electric power steering that will make it feel heavy.

The wider 18" wheels and tyres won't help either.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.