Do I or don't I?? 125d to Cupra 280

Madhatter

Jul 4, 2014
Sat on arse
Hello all, first post so please be kind!

I've been looking at reviews of the new cupra 280 and it looks like a real corker of a motor! I'm currently driving a bmw 125d which is due to go back in 6 months. Its a great car, very quick, fun handling and 45 mpg with a heavy right foot. Only downer is it sounds like a Massey ferguson and shape not to everyone's taste (I like it in 3 door msport guise like mine, the basic 1er is a pig!)

But now my annual mileage has dropped from 20k to 15k so looking to move back to petrol. I miss the noise and Fizz of a good petrol engine.

I appreciate the 280 is a powerful petrol engine and will get nowhere near the quoted 44mpg! But I was wondering if any owners have any feedback on real mpg figures once the motor has a few 000's on the clock? I've worked out if I can screw 33-35 mpg out of the 280 overall running cost should be similar to the bm. Man maths at work here!

Couple of other q's;

What RON fuel does it need?

Is the front diff effective or is it an understeery beast?

What are servicing costs like?

Thanks guys and any comments are most welcome. :D

Stegor

Jul 17, 2011
Can't comment on the Cupra mpg but I only get 32 out of my 1.8tsi. Depends on type of driving and how you drive it. Mixed driving I would expect around the 30 mark. Mainly Urban I wouldn't expect much more than 25. Think I would get about that figure.

sootytorques

Sep 9, 2013
Are you looking at any other cars ? if changing in 6 months, you have the option of the new ford focus ST, which I reckon will give the excellent cupra a run for its money.

Rokerlad

Sep 25, 2004
East of Eden
How powerful is the new Focus? Still only 250'ish? I was half interested in a BMW 220 before I ordered my Cupra. One week into ownership of the Cupra I can get 30+ mpg on my commute to work. This is only going to get better.

Madhatter

Jul 4, 2014
Sat on arse
Cheers for the feedback. Think I'll be ordering a cupra then! Not too concerned about mpg but nice to know it can get into the 30's in normal driving conditions . It seems the best of both worlds; decent family car and a balls out loon when you want it to be. Not really interested in the st and the new one has the same engine and power figs. Megane r is close contender but I think the cupra is a cracking package. Will be sad to see the 125d go as it's a great all rounder with hot hatch performance. As quick as the tuned wrx i had before it but I miss a powerful petrol engines extra sparkle! Can't really explain it other than the 125d is fast but maybe too refined for its own good!

Golf r and s3 are interesting propositions but I think the cupra will be more fun. 4wd always flatters a cars on paper performance figs and I noticed in one track test that it beat the golf r.

Cheers for all responses so far :)

Rokerlad

Sep 25, 2004
East of Eden
Cheers for the feedback. Think I'll be ordering a cupra then! Not too concerned about mpg but nice to know it can get into the 30's in normal driving conditions . It seems the best of both worlds; decent family car and a balls out loon when you want it to be. Not really interested in the st and the new one has the same engine and power figs. Megane r is close contender but I think the cupra is a cracking package. Will be sad to see the 125d go as it's a great all rounder with hot hatch performance. As quick as the tuned wrx i had before it but I miss a powerful petrol engines extra sparkle! Can't really explain it other than the 125d is fast but maybe too refined for its own good!

Golf r and s3 are interesting propositions but I think the cupra will be more fun. 4wd always flatters a cars on paper performance figs and I noticed in one track test that it beat the golf r.

Cheers for all responses so far :)

You will be happy with the performance of the Cupra 280 .....trust me.

simonali

Apr 3, 2014
Wiltshire
Cheers for the feedback. Think I'll be ordering a cupra then! Not too concerned about mpg but nice to know it can get into the 30's in normal driving conditions . It seems the best of both worlds; decent family car and a balls out loon when you want it to be.

The fuel consumption is pretty good just as long as you drive gently. I usually have my DIS set on range and tonight on the way to work the figure dropped from 150 miles to 140 and that was for a 25 mile journey - so good, so far. Earlier in the day, however, on my way home from work I gave it blast past some slower traffic on an overtaking lane maybe half a mile long and reduced the figure from 170 to 155 - there's the other side of the coin.

I'm hoping to see around 350 miles from the tank, though and would imagine 400 would be possible, but that would mean driving sensibly all the time.

:whistle:

Mar 13, 2011
All three trackers (start, since refuelling, trip) on ours are under 30mpg currently. I have no doubt I could improve into the low 30's with a little self restraint, but to be perfectly honest I couldn't give a toss. Every time I drive it I can feel a stupid grin spreading across my chops. Not the sort of car you buy to extract every last MPG. If that's your aim you'd be better off with the smelly noisy diesel version.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Madhatter

Jul 4, 2014
Sat on arse
I do a lot of a road and motorway stuff so I think I'll be ok getting over 30 then. But then when I take it for a blast up in the north wales twisty B roads I won't give a sh#t haha. Best of both worlds! It'll be a fun car when I want and a family car when called for.

Any idea what seat servicing prices are like? Bmw stitched me up 250 quid for an oil and filter change first service last yr!

Just need a test drive now and to place an order. Seem to be some decent discounts at the moment.

dephead2004

Aug 3, 2013
Suggest you look at a 4 year servicing finance deal. If you are mewling the car this long it includes the expensive r year service and for me I pay £11 pm for a 1.2 tsi. Costs are fixed at the start and it is funded by vwfs.

-=Rob=-

Beer or Car?
Dec 14, 2002
South West
Visit site
Madhatter, your situation a very similar to mine. I do on avg 15k mile per year and was deciding diesel or petrol. In the end I decided petrol because they are much more efficient now than ever, plus having a diesel for the past 6 years I wanted to have a petrol again! So these cars can be economical when you want them to be and on the other hand a right hoot when you fancy a bit of fun!

I'd look into a fixed servicing and maintenance / tyre package on your mileage, will make it easy to budget and give peace of mind.

Do it!! :)

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
400 miles out of a tank especially if your doing motorway miles is easily possible. On a 100 mile trip I managed 41mpg doing speeds of 70mph and some overtaking. As with any car to get best fuel economy regardless of whether its a performance car or not its about the correct driving style.

Anyway as for performance, bang for buck, probably isnt anything much better for the money especially if you go through a broker. The Leon Cupra does everything amazingly well, family car, loon car, every day car...cant fault it.

Madhatter

Jul 4, 2014
Sat on arse
Thanks for the great advice guys. I agree the cost saving differential between performance diesels and petrol cars has narrowed significantly, hence the jump back to petrol.

Don't get me wrong these modern hot diesels are very very good and effortlessly quick if you're after that sort of thing; however you simply cannot beat the buzz you get from powerful petrol engine. The torque on the 125d is insane but when I start it up and hear the tractor soundtrack it does spoil the sense of occasion somewhat! Even though it pulls hard to 5.5k and can embarrass most hot hatches, I miss the extra revs and sound of a petrol! I guess I'm not easily pleased!

Cheers for the helpful responses and I agree there isn't anything out there that compares equally for performance per pound.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.