Seat Altea Knocking/clunking noise

antihero

Jul 5, 2014
Hi Guys

the last few weeks the mrs seat altea 1.6 has developed a clunking noise underneath the car , only happens when you go over the bumps. sounds like metal

i have jacked it up and cant find anything so i have no idea what it could be

anyone had this issue before?

seat altea 1.6 petrol 2004

thanks

iain1970

I ♥ TDI
Apr 19, 2005
The Wrong side of the Pennines
Mine's been clunking for 18 months. On the last but one service, they told me the exhaust middle section hanger had corroded away.

I've not had it fixed because the back box is flakier than the Singing Detective, so I'll get the whole lot done together if I've not sold it by then.

yan101

Feb 8, 2014
had this on a renault scenic. it was the anti roll bar bushes that were worn. does it do it once the car has had a good drive? i only ask as mine didnt after say an hours drive as the rubber had heated up and expanded enough to do its job. cold on a morning and it clunked like mad.

antihero

Jul 5, 2014
Thanks guys , It seems to do it all the time . when i had a quick look the exhaust seems pretty solid but will have a look at the middle one , i checked the back one and it looked ok. Think i will need to jack both back wheels up and check springs and anti roll balls / drop links

cadman2k

Jul 15, 2003
Visit site
knocking/clunking

Front Drop links are a common worn (and relatively cheap to replace) part.
If you grab a hold of one and attempt to move you can generally feel if it has any play in it.

Good luck

Last edited:

antihero

Jul 5, 2014
thanks guys turns out that it was a broken rear spring , a small section became horse shoed around the spring ,

gone for now , going to replace both back springs

Rusty FR

Nov 28, 2008
I think I have this same sounding clunking noise... sometimes excruciatingly loud and embarressing whilst pulling out of our drive! Hopefully not too expensive to sort if it's only a bush or two then? Would I need to take it to a Seat dealer or would any decent garage be able to fix it? Our model is the FR 2.0 TFSi

antihero

Jul 5, 2014
jack the car up and put your hands where the springs fit into the bottom mount , that's where I found my broken spring laying , so each time you go over a bump it was knocking about

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members