Dealers eh?!!!

Edward9th

Jul 22, 2009
Dorset
I've always done my own servicing (except under guarantee), but my cambelt was overdue, and I was warned off doing it by the female members, due to ill health. So - over to the dealer (Snows, Poole), and I thought "While they're at it, they might as well do a service". At home, thinking work must be well ahead, a phone message: "We ordered the wrong cambelt kit, so we'll have to do it some other time". ERGHH! That means I wasted all that labour charge. Thanks very much, Snows!

Badger

Dec 2, 2012
Newcastle, Staffs
I wouldn't accept the labour charge, they've already admitted they ordered the wrong cambelt kit, not your fault. They are a dealer who would of / should of checked prior to carrying out the work first.

Edward9th

Jul 22, 2009
Dorset
Alas, techically (and legally) they're entitled to it - they did carry out the service. My grouse is that this was the bit I'd have done myself if it hadn't been going in for the belt job. Now I still have to make rather complicated arrangements (It's a long story!) in order for it to go in again.

Badger

Dec 2, 2012
Newcastle, Staffs
Got you, so you only paid for the service then? Then that's fair.

I would ask for a subtle discount as you are now inconvenienced. Worth a punt!

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
But surely they would have the correct kit the next day, that would have saved any rebuilding engine - if in deed they had stripped it down before realising that they had the wrong kit.

Edward9th

Jul 22, 2009
Dorset
I got the impression that they realised their mistake before stripping. I did leave a message (you can't get to speak to the service dept direct), suggesting that they could get the correct kit, as it was still quite early in the day, and bash on with the job as booked. No reply!

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I would hope that dealer's service department will always have a "service adviser" available to answer the phone at all times they are open, or at least the main switchboard receptionist would pass a message on to them if they are all busy and that they would return your call. Not good enough really, once I've made my mind up to get a cambelt change, I tend to treat the car with kid gloves - just in case the worst happens!

Edward9th

Jul 22, 2009
Dorset
Nah! It was "Press 1 for Service" then - "Sorry we're unable..... etc". I left messages three times, but they didn't get back to me. To say I'm not impressed is my typically polite understatement - a lot of people would mention a brewery:)