Wiring up some lights need help

May 19, 2011
Sorry to repeat this from a previous
thread bit was worried maybe it wouldn't get seen.

Can please anyone help me here. Ive finally fitted some drls (heat not a friend) got them as best as I can now its to wire them up. I assumed black on neg battery point and red on positive battery point. They work like that but are always on even without key in so need to know how to hook the wires up please.

zapedu4y.jpg

May 19, 2011
Also strsngest thing too. Since ive removed the neg wire from battery my windows are acting funny. Drivers front and passenger back windows go slowly or automatically with second click (as normal) and passenger front and drivers back only work by holding finger down. Also holding the unlock and lock no longer operates the windows

May 19, 2011
Ignore post 2 got them working now apparently holding up for a while did it

Still need help with wires tho

Last edited:

Griffin94

Feb 19, 2013
Sheffield
You need to connect them up to your lights rather than battery that's why there always on. Don't know how to explain it easily but plugging them directly into your battery is just using the the energy what is in the battery there is no way off switching the lights off other than when the battery dies out(other than creating a switch in between the light and the battery. Anyway the way to fix it is if you plug them into where the wires go for your headlight(they will only come on when the headlights are on or alternatively you could connect them to sidelights and they will come on when they do. I will try and get a picture to explain it easily.

Griffin94

Feb 19, 2013
Sheffield
The black wire wants to be connected to one of the earth inputs shown on the diagram below. The red wire wants to go in either the dipped beam or sidelight input(depending on what you want the lights to come on with). I would try putting the wires down the side of where the existing wires go rather than hooking them on in the middle.
I have attached another photo show where the light socket is its in the bottom right hand corner of the picture.
Mk4%20Headlight%20Plug.JPG

IMG_0228.jpg

May 19, 2011
Thanks for your help. My idea was to have them working when I start the car and not when my lights are on. I think this is possible as the person off here ove copied has done this. Problem is hes abroad so cant get hold of him. When you say connect them to the lights do you mean the black and red cables that plug to the bulbs?

Griffin94

Feb 19, 2013
Sheffield
Yes if you plug the black and red cables into the plug shown on the above post(well push the cable down next to the original cable which is already connected up for the lights. so black goes down where the brown wire is(on the plug shown above in the bottom right hand corner) and the the red wire goes where the green and red wire is on the drivers side and grey and red and grey and black on the passenger side. This will the come on with your sidelights or you can get them to come on with headlights and that will be yellow wire on drivers and yellow and black on passenger.

You probably can get them to come on when the car starts but i don't know how thats done.

nightflight

May 18, 2009
Sheffield
To get them to come on when the car starts you need to wire them upto a switched live.
What would be suitable I couldn't tell you without scouring the maintenance section at the back of the manual I don't have in front of me at the minute.
Have a look for the fuse for something else that only comes on when you turn the ignition, then piggyback into that.

May 19, 2011
Ok thanks as you can probably tell this aint my forte and im useless to this stuff. Without sounding thick but to do that it wobt overload the fuse will it and pop it? And recommendations to watch fuse to attach it to?

Deleted member 67732

legislation requires that day running lights are automatically switched on with the ignition, then extinguish when the side/headlights are switched on.
in order to do this, you require a drl control unit which can be purchased for £10 on ebay auctions.

there are 3 wires, I of which takes a feed from the sidelights,

May 19, 2011
after thinking about it i think it only want it to come on with side lights other wise at night time it will look like one of them trucks with spot lights.

although there are plenty of cars that drls run all the time, i think audi's do for example

May 19, 2011
Went two footed into this cant go back cos of the holes ive made oops. I take your point and if that is the case might as well have them to start up with ignition which then goes back to how do I do this

May 19, 2011
Ive got that already just not the yellow and white cables. It says in description to hook up to acc and not battery. So how do I hook up to acc?

BJM

Sep 25, 2005
Houston, Renfrewshire
Acc is Accessory - switched live. Go into the fuse box and find one - rear heated window, maybe cigarette lighter - you should be able to attach the wire at the fuse box - ideally solder and heat shrink - although a scotch lock should work too.

BJM

Sep 25, 2005
Houston, Renfrewshire
I've not got a Mk5 yet but in all the SEATs I've had the fuse box is behind the dash to the right if te steering wheel - usually accessed through the end of the dash with the door open. You can test it by stripping the end of te wire, pulling out the fuse, wrapping the bare wire round the metal prong of the fuse then pushing it back in. This is only for testing though and not a long term way of connecting it.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members