Boost Gauge Not Working

Dave_Cupra88

Jan 30, 2012
Hi,

I fitted my autogauge boost gauge on the weekend, but it doesn't seem to work. I only get vacuum (-20 on idle) not boost. I tried t-ing off the FPR and BOV and it made no difference.

I've read that you can test the gauge by blowing through the vac hose (I did this with the clear hose provided and with another off-cut from a 4mm ID silicone hose) to see if the needle moves. How much should it move when you do this? I put everything into it and the needle moved just past zero.

I don't know if the gauge itself is dead, but I've seen another one around and the seller said he's blown into the vac hose and got the same result, so I don't want to buy another that's potentially got the same issue. Likewise, I don't want to buy another if mine might be okay and the issue is elsewhere.

Any ideas? Haven't thoroughly tested for leaks, but the car seems to boost okay and torque pro gave me a reading of around 20 psi (I'm running a stage 1 map).

Cheers,

Dave.

Dave_Cupra88

Jan 30, 2012
Not sure, read it another forum. I might just take a punt on the ebay one then. Fingers crossed that works.

Live in Bracknell if anyone nearby can test for me? Seen a few LCRs about.

jase20vt

Mar 6, 2009
bloxwich walsall
not sure if this of any help to you but when I had my 1.8t I drilled into the inlet manifold on the right hand side there's a m6 tapped hole that doesn't quite penetrate. So I removed the throttle body and put hoover pipe into it. then drilled hole.

this is what I used to attach the boost pipe. It was a m6 grease nipple with spring/ball removed.

if you'd like to try this msg me.

Last edited:

Dave_Cupra88

Jan 30, 2012
The gauge off ebay was worse than the last one. The needle flopped about all over the place before the it was even connected. I can make the needle move all the way round just by rotating the gauge itself, so looks like that's buggered as well.

Anyone know a good alternative to the autogauge? Preferably one with a white face and silver surround so it matches the oil temp one I've got.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.