Track Day Preparation - Mk2 Leon Cupra 2.0 TFSI

phillbriggs

Dec 15, 2010
Hi there, Im taking my Mk2 leon Cupra 2.0 tfsi manual on a track day in August and wanted to get it ready and parts ordered asap. Im not going to do anything drastic just want to get the main things such as brakes and tyres sorted.

Brakes:

Question is what are peoples opinions or experience with brake pads manufactures and materials. Ive currently got street performance spec HAWK brake pads fitted and they are very good over standard pads, were better when younger mind. I was thinking about going up a stage on the HAWK pads, but i want to be able to drive the car home after the track day without having to change pads!

But i wondered what other people have used and what not to go for??? I dont mind a little noise from the brakes just not constant noise when on the road.

Tyres:

As we all know there are all types of proper track day tyres like 888's and pirada's but there quite expensive unless your going to use them often. I wondered what soft compound road tyres people had tried and had good results from. My car currently has Goodyear eagle f1 asy 2 tyres but i dont fancy ruining them on the track quite yet. I wondered if cheap soft toyo's or yoko's would be any good?

Other: What other areas of the car would require attention?? Are brake & clutch fluids ok or do they tend to overheat badly??

Engine & maintenance wise everything is upto date and spot on.

The car has had alot of performance mods and is around a stage 2+ @ 340-350bhp, (hasnt been dyno tested since latest mods)

Any help, advise, opinions or tips is much appreciated.

Thanks

jreedy

turbo'd ep3- Fr tdi leon
May 13, 2008
sheffield
Brakes I'd go for-
Braided hoses front and rear and some fresh Motul RBF600 brake fluid. Your current discs and pads will be fine for some abuse on track, Ferrodo Ds2500 would probably hold up better.

Semi slick tyres like toyo r888's work wonders compared to road tyres.

Aug 6, 2009
cumbria
Cheaper that the R888's, soft compound road legal tyres Toyo R1R's and Federal RS-R's both highly recommend on other forums.

phillbriggs

Dec 15, 2010
Yes i understand that track tyres are naturally a vast improvement but are quiet a outlay for a single track day. Wondered if anyone had good rusults from soft road tyres.

I wont bother with brake hoses for a track day and yes only using standard discs as well.

May change brake fluid

hayesey

soft road tyres will be fine. Really any tyre that's not a cheapo chinese thing or knackered is fine. Just that the proper track tyres such as 888s and A048s make a huge difference.

Given it's your first track day I'd not worry about tyres too much as long as you have some decent ones. Just go and have fun. don't take it too seriously, track days are for having fun. you'll get people there in full-on race cars and you'll get people there in the car they normally go to tesco's in on saturday afternoons. You don't need to have race-spec tyres to get around.

In many ways having not so great tyres is more fun to begin with. You'll reach the limit sooner so can explore how your car handles beyond it easier and safer. I learnt a lot about driving years ago with an old polo gt breadvan with 4 knackered uniroyal tyres on it where the rubber had gone off in storage.

I regularly do track days in my polo g40 (well, not for a bit because I'm doing an engine rebuild and some suspension modifications at the moment). I generally take two sets of tyres on wheels with me. A set of Yoko A048s which I use if the weather is OK as you just get soooo much more grip from them. Then I also have a set of Yoko S-Drive road tyres which I drive the car there and home on and use if it's raining as I don't get on well with the A048s in the wet they aquaplane like buggery.

If you think you'll end up doing a few track days (and I bet you will once you've done one) then it's well worth getting hold of a 2nd set of wheels and sticking some 888s or A048s on them to use at track days. Pointless using them on the road they wear out in no time and your just burning money. Also they do need to be kept warm to perform so in my opinion not that safe for road use.

Just make sure there's plenty of oil in your car and that you take some spare with you.

Last edited:

Karl db

Feb 16, 2013
I agree about the plenty of oil, no baffled sump in these cars so make sure it's kept topped right up

Stylance

Stylance
Apr 6, 2011
Ashford kent
Hi there, Im taking my Mk2 leon Cupra 2.0 tfsi manual on a track day in August and wanted to get it ready and parts ordered asap. Im not going to do anything drastic just want to get the main things such as brakes and tyres sorted.

Brakes:

Question is what are peoples opinions or experience with brake pads manufactures and materials. Ive currently got street performance spec HAWK brake pads fitted and they are very good over standard pads, were better when younger mind. I was thinking about going up a stage on the HAWK pads, but i want to be able to drive the car home after the track day without having to change pads!

But i wondered what other people have used and what not to go for??? I dont mind a little noise from the brakes just not constant noise when on the road.

Tyres:

As we all know there are all types of proper track day tyres like 888's and pirada's but there quite expensive unless your going to use them often. I wondered what soft compound road tyres people had tried and had good results from. My car currently has Goodyear eagle f1 asy 2 tyres but i dont fancy ruining them on the track quite yet. I wondered if cheap soft toyo's or yoko's would be any good?

Other: What other areas of the car would require attention?? Are brake & clutch fluids ok or do they tend to overheat badly??

Engine & maintenance wise everything is upto date and spot on.

The car has had alot of performance mods and is around a stage 2+ @ 340-350bhp, (hasnt been dyno tested since latest mods)

Any help, advise, opinions or tips is much appreciated.

Thanks

Very jealous! Want/need to get my R on the track where it belongs ! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.